I Hate My Face

Options
So, my face is suddenly breaking out like crazy, and I can only think of one thing that's really different in my life, and that's that I've been working out 3 times a week for 2-3 weeks now.

I always wash my face right afterwards, though, before I even leave the gym.

Thoughts? Did anyone else experience sudden-onset gym breakouts when they first started making it a routine? It's not like I'm rubbing my face on the equipment.

Replies

• amyup
    amyup Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Do you drink diet soda? I gave it up for about 6 months and then I started drinking it again and immediately broke out. I tested the theory a few times and yep, diet soda makes me break out.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I was going to ask, is working out the only thing that is different? Breakouts are usually hormone-related, and hormones can be stress-related, so maybe there is a stress connection?
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    What are you using? I have severe cystic acne, thanks to PCOS. I've finally got it under control but the issues was that I was always OVER cleansing it. The 3 step systems like proactive irritated the hell out of my skin.

I'm just using a simple antibacterial soap now and my face has never been better.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I break out for a while after I change my eating habits.
  • CapsFan17
    Options
    It could be the different water since you're washing your face at the gym. My skin is very sensitive to changes like that.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Do you touch your face alot while at the gym? I can't really help you.
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    My breakout is usually a combination of things from stress to hormones to the type of lotion I used. Rubbing alcohol works really good for drying things out before it gets too crazy. Try dipping a cotton ball in some and dabbing at your breakout spots.
  • wildcata77
    Options
    I was going to ask, is working out the only thing that is different? Breakouts are usually hormone-related, and hormones can be stress-related, so maybe there is a stress connection?

Strangely, I'm less stressed and hormonal since I've been working out and taking more time for myself.

And no diet soda, blech.

Thanks for the suggestions. I use whatever samples I have around of high-end products I won't pay for...I am addicted to samples and my skin has never really been sensitive, but I know that can change.

Maybe I should switch to a regular Aveeno wash for a while and see if that helps.
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are releasing toxins, which tend to come out through the skin. Unless you are constipated or there is some other way you are not getting rid of waste/toxins/CO2, it's probably a "good" side-effect of working out, and if so, it will clear as you continue. If you are constipated, it will often cause breakouts, and dealing with that will help immensely with your skin. Asthma and other breathing difficulties can have the same effect.
  • queenmegan
    Options
    It could be the different water since you're washing your face at the gym. My skin is very sensitive to changes like that.

THIS!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Frequent washing or over cleansing can cause breakouts, changing products too frequently can cause breakouts, and an increase in sweat (even if you wash it right after your workout) can cause breakouts. I'd recommend finding a gentle, non-abrasive cleanser to use consistently. Then maybe even wait to wash your face until you're cooled down and home (so that your body isn't all freaked out from producing extra oils, then suddenly having them stripped from your face).
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    That's not uncommon. Once your body gets used to the routine it should go back to normal.
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Yes, I did...and then I started drinking more water and keeps my face more hydrated, that I've noticed...I'm not as dry/oily in places any more..and the fact I don't eat greasy foods and tons of junk like I use to..

Although I did start using witch hazel in place of the normal astringent stuff..that may help as well..and its totally cheaper
  • pniana
    pniana Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with this for the past year and a half or so, once I turned 40. I am starting to get it under control. The advise my skin person told me is that you need to stay with one product line, regardless if it is high end or drug store. All lines are formulated to work with each other in balancing your skins PH levels. That kind of made sense to me when she told me that and it seems to be working for me. My cleanser, toner, moisturizers, serums and acne products are all from one brand line.
    (She said the same thing about hair products but I haven't followed that!)
  • wildcata77
    Options
    Frequent washing or over cleansing can cause breakouts, changing products too frequently can cause breakouts, and an increase in sweat (even if you wash it right after your workout) can cause breakouts. I'd recommend finding a gentle, non-abrasive cleanser to use consistently. Then maybe even wait to wash your face until you're cooled down and home (so that your body isn't all freaked out from producing extra oils, then suddenly having them stripped from your face).

Thanks...all of this makes total sense to me!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I have to shower when I get home from the gym because I sweat so much my hair is gross. Since I've started doing this (just kicked up the intensity in my workouts), my face has stopped breaking out.