Getting pregnant tips?

Options
Shweedog
Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
I have lost the "at least" 15 pounds I wanted to lose before we started trying and now I am in full-fledged get-prego-now mode. I have googled tips on conceiving tricks of the trade but was wondering if anyone on here had actually been given advice from a professional? We just started trying so I am far from needing to speak to a doctor about how to conceive because as far as I know we will have no issues in that regard. I was just wanting to make this happen sooner than later, if God permits of course. I track my temperature and record it so I "know" when I am ovulating and we are sure to "try" 3-4 days prior to my estimated ovulation date (based on my temperature trend), the day of, and 2-3 days after. We continue to try throughout the month as well, but MAKE SURE we do on those days. I have read wives tales about propping myself up on a pillow afterwards to let gravity do it's job. Any truth to this? Lol! Is there an amount of time I am supposed to lay there after the deed is done to give his little men adequate commute time? Any tips (if there are any) are greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Replies

• kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Sorry, don't have tips, but something my doctor hammered on me, was take, I think it was folic acid? For 3 months before you get pregnant, it helps prevent spinal and brain deformaties or something...

You hadn't mentioned if your doc suggested anything like that so I thought I'd throw that out there.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I haven't received advice from a professional, but I've been pregnant, so ...

Have unprotected sex. It tends to do the trick, eventually.
  • britishstar41
    britishstar41 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Sorry, don't have tips, but something my doctor hammered on me, was take, I think it was folic acid? For 3 months before you get pregnant, it helps prevent spinal and brain deformaties or something...

You hadn't mentioned if your doc suggested anything like that so I thought I'd throw that out there.

Yes, my Dr. said this also. I took prenatal vitamins as soon as we started trying.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    One cycle, try doing it every other day. I was told that back in the ttc days. Also, doing it in the morning vs doing it at night. I guess sperm are happier then?
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Have sex and eat grapefruit. It's the unspoken super fruit, full of folic acid.

Did I mention you should have sex? But not with the grapefruit, that is kinda counter productive.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Oh also, have the big O after him. I was told the contractions of your um.. will help suck up the spermies. :bigsmile:
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteousreused
    Options
    When my kids were conceived, I had unprotected sex and finished inside. It seemed to have worked for us.
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Better_Balance_2011 Posts: 3,711 Member
    Options
    My husband and I started trying about 6 months prior to conceiving in early May (due 1/25) but the first 2 months we were more or less waiting for my cycle to regulate after being on BCP for 15 years and not trying all that hard. Anyways, once we got past all that I started using ovulation tests (you pee in a cup first thing in the morning and then dip a stick in it) every month to see when I was ovulating and then had sex at least once or twice that day and the day after. Once we figured out my cycles we pretty much started having sex daily around my ovulation day (which for me was day 18). I also used an application on my phone to track OV testing, sex, and periods so I could track cycles. After we started testing, I got pregnant within about 3-4 months. Oh, and lay inverted for a few minutes after the act to let the spermies work their way into your uterus. :smile: Good luck!
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    The key lies in the last word of the title.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Boones Farm really helps if you're on the young side.
  • Nicholec2003
    Nicholec2003 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    It took almost year for me, and it only happened when we quit actively trying. I think it was the stress of planning, and scheduling, and then the dissapointment of seeing TOM every month. Sex became a chore rather then something to enjoy. My advice would be to relax, have fun, and don't stress.
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Don't getting pregnant just happen, you seem to be stressing out about it. Calm down enjoy life mother nature will work....
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about taking temperatures or any of that other stuff, just have sex when you feel like it, I managed to get pregnant three times using this method...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Don't getting pregnant just happen, you seem to be stressing out about it. Calm down enjoy life mother nature will work....
    Exactly.

I wasn't trying to get pregnant, and I did.

My cousin only has one ovary, so she expected it to take a while and just decided to stop using BC and wait and see and she got pregnant her first try.

My friends tried and tried and stressed and stressed and 18 months later decided to just adopt. Right after they made the decision to STOP trying, she was pregnant.
  • Amberetta82
    Amberetta82 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Biggest thing to keep track of... YOUR CYCLE. If you have an irregular cycle then it may be harder for you to get pregnant. One of the best signs of ovulation is cervical mucus. When you have an overabundance of it, its most likely that you are ovulating. Another important thing... RELAX!! Sex should never just be about making a baby. When you are super focused on getting pregnant, it can become a chore. Enjoy each other!! One of the websites that I LOVED when I was TTC is fertility friend. You can chart your cycle there.
  • Brachra
    Options
    i have to say....by reading the title the advice i was going to give you would have been WAY off..
  • suemar74
    suemar74 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Oh also, have the big O after him. I was told the contractions of your um.. will help suck up the spermies. :bigsmile:

I've heard this too.

What worked for me was us deciding maybe we should wait until we could better afford a second child (first child was a surprise). Worked like a charm because, after trying for 4 months with negative results, we conceived on the first "let's wait" month.
  • yoshi91610
    yoshi91610 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I don't really have any tips, my husband said, I wanna get you pregnant and, a month later I missed my period. LOL. Although, i have heard some like: Place a pillow under your hips for 10-20 mins after he goes in you. Woman on top is harder to conceive with (although not impossible) Sperm can last up to 5 days inside you because of the conditions so if you are estimating when you are ovulating start having sex 5 days prior
  • laughingnome
    laughingnome Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Enjoy sex, don't get too caught up in trying!!! We had trouble and the Dr. had us on a schedule, too stressful. Finally quit trying and next thing I knew I was preggo.
  • lovelylovebug
    lovelylovebug Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I think having sex when you feel like it is good advice... I don't know about anybody else but I am SUPER in the mood around the time I am supposed to be ovulating. Probably your body's way of trying to get you pregnant. The phone apps, like Period Tracker are great too. I use it to track my cycle.