Ladies -- Time of Month??

Options
Ok, so I know this has probably been discussed before, but it's kinda hard to find on the search, so I thought I'd just ask y'all. I've been on the web site for about 3 weeks now, it's great! The first 2 weeks I lost 3 lbs, and was very happy with the results. I'm right on track, but the 3rd weeks is ToM and I weighed myself yesterday only to find that I had apparently gained back those 3 lbs. I'm just wondering/hoping that this is just water weight. I'm pretty good about sticking to my daily calories, some days I don't make the 1200 other days I meet my 1480 or go over a small bit, so I kinda figures that it evens out throughout the week. I also am usually over the weekly calories I'm suppose to burn. Any thoughts or advise to relieve the stress for this newbie?

187301.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter

Replies

• stephanieann222
    Options
    Ok, so I know this has probably been discussed before, but it's kinda hard to find on the search, so I thought I'd just ask y'all. I've been on the web site for about 3 weeks now, it's great! The first 2 weeks I lost 3 lbs, and was very happy with the results. I'm right on track, but the 3rd weeks is ToM and I weighed myself yesterday only to find that I had apparently gained back those 3 lbs. I'm just wondering/hoping that this is just water weight. I'm pretty good about sticking to my daily calories, some days I don't make the 1200 other days I meet my 1480 or go over a small bit, so I kinda figures that it evens out throughout the week. I also am usually over the weekly calories I'm suppose to burn. Any thoughts or advise to relieve the stress for this newbie?

187301.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter
  • elle77
    elle77 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hi! :smile: I usually don't loose any weight on my TOM week...but the next week loose a lot! I'm sure it's different for everyone:flowerforyou:
  • christy559
    christy559 Posts: 105
    Options
    Hi,

First, let yourself off the hook! :tongue: You are new to the site and it takes time to get going on your program. As for Aunt Flo.. :angry: what I can share is that for 7-10 days before she hits me, I eat salty, junk food and always gain weight, like 2-4 lbs. :grumble: Then I notice (because I'm tracking my weight and exercise) is that the ToMgoes, the water weight and more goes with it. :love:

For example this past month, I gained 3 lbs when Flo was in town, after she left, I lost that plus 2 lbs more - I KEPT exercising through all of it and as soon as the binge cravings stopped, I went back to the healthier foods, I also kept exercising for the most part. :flowerforyou:

That type of weight will come and go every month - but you will see progress over TIME, time is your friend, the scale is NOT :noway: Just keep track of the food, calories and exercise and over time you will see what I mean...hope this helps!:drinker:
  • rethun01
    rethun01 Posts: 167
    Options
    Same thing happens to me!

Side note... it always makes me wonder how they deal with that ToM on Biggest Loser!
  • angyltears
    Options
    I've also heard that your body retains water during the ToM. Congrats on your work so far and welcome... don't worry about asking questions that might have already been asked! i know how hard it is to sometimes find old posts, but everybody here is very nice and it helps to have posts like this renewed everyonce in a while.
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    same is true for me. I'm just finishing my ToM and weight starting to come off again...
  • pattitricia85
    Options
    that always happens to me... relax. i don't count that week
  • soxygirl
    soxygirl Posts: 173
    Options
    Reality Check Time, Ladies -- how much can we blame on TOM, and how much accountability do we have to take?

I keep a journal, and it's helped me to get very real with myself about my eating habits, both on regular days and during TOM. I challenge all of the MFP women who blame TOM for a week of weight gain to do the same . . . are you being completely honest with yourself? Yes, we can gain a pound or two from water retention during our periods, but if we are saying that during that week we give into our cravings for salty foods or carbs or chocolate, then we are blaming our cycle for what is only partially its fault. Gaining control over our poor food behaviors during all facets of our life is our mission here . . .

I used to use TOM as an excuse to cheat on whatever diet I was on, but since I am now adopting a lifestyle change instead of dieting I can no longer accept that from myself. I can't stop journaling for a week, buy whatever I'm craving, and expect to be OK with what I see at the end of the cycle.

I'm still mastering this, but here are some things I've done during my last few TOMs to combat my bad habits:

-Drink even MORE water -- encourage your system to wash itself out . . . the more pure water you consume, the more you are flushing out the bad.

-WALK! Even if you are too achy to do your normal exercises, get up and walk -- outside, on a treadmill, in place in front of the TV. Walking is one of the best means of improving circulation, which in turn inhibits water retention, helps with cramps, etc.

-Journal your food habits, particularly make a list of snacks/foods you enjoy eating when you are NOT PMSing . . . keep those handy when you enter PMS. Chances are the healthy snacks you've learned to love the other weeks of the month will still satisfy you, it's just a matter of retraining our PMS brain.

-SEX! There, I said it. Let's remember what our monthly cycle is all about! It really does help engage your system to function properly. You might not actually want to have intercourse during your period, but the days leading up to it do wonders to encourage your body to release anything it's holding onto unecessarily. Even foreplay, flirting, sexy dancing, etc. will help.

I don't want to take away from the fact that TOM is an icky, uncomfortable, difficult time for us women, and some more than others. But instead of using it as yet another excuse for not losing weight, let's try to find ways to make it work for us . . . after all being a woman is a beautiful miracle and we should treat it that way!
  • nikki4ever
    nikki4ever Posts: 116
    Options
    Reality Check Time, Ladies -- how much can we blame on TOM, and how much accountability do we have to take?

I keep a journal, and it's helped me to get very real with myself about my eating habits, both on regular days and during TOM. I challenge all of the MFP women who blame TOM for a week of weight gain to do the same . . . are you being completely honest with yourself? Yes, we can gain a pound or two from water retention during our periods, but if we are saying that during that week we give into our cravings for salty foods or carbs or chocolate, then we are blaming our cycle for what is only partially its fault. Gaining control over our poor food behaviors during all facets of our life is our mission here . . .

I used to use TOM as an excuse to cheat on whatever diet I was on, but since I am now adopting a lifestyle change instead of dieting I can no longer accept that from myself. I can't stop journaling for a week, buy whatever I'm craving, and expect to be OK with what I see at the end of the cycle.

I'm still mastering this, but here are some things I've done during my last few TOMs to combat my bad habits:

-Drink even MORE water -- encourage your system to wash itself out . . . the more pure water you consume, the more you are flushing out the bad.

-WALK! Even if you are too achy to do your normal exercises, get up and walk -- outside, on a treadmill, in place in front of the TV. Walking is one of the best means of improving circulation, which in turn inhibits water retention, helps with cramps, etc.

-Journal your food habits, particularly make a list of snacks/foods you enjoy eating when you are NOT PMSing . . . keep those handy when you enter PMS. Chances are the healthy snacks you've learned to love the other weeks of the month will still satisfy you, it's just a matter of retraining our PMS brain.

-SEX! There, I said it. Let's remember what our monthly cycle is all about! It really does help engage your system to function properly. You might not actually want to have intercourse during your period, but the days leading up to it do wonders to encourage your body to release anything it's holding onto unecessarily. Even foreplay, flirting, sexy dancing, etc. will help.

I don't want to take away from the fact that TOM is an icky, uncomfortable, difficult time for us women, and some more than others. But instead of using it as yet another excuse for not losing weight, let's try to find ways to make it work for us . . . after all being a woman is a beautiful miracle and we should treat it that way!

SOOOOOOOO TRUE!!
  • pattitricia85
    Options
    i never cheat just because of my period! i am lucky enough to not get cravings or any PMS symptoms at all. but i gain about 3 pounds whenever it is that time. i also keep a journal and weigh in and measure every tuesday. i don't count it as my true weight though because i know that the next week, or even a couple days after its over. i am back to my lower weight
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options

I agree... i dont give in to cravings.. actually, i tend to want to eat LESS during that time. my appetite goes way down and I have to make myself eat for the first couple days.

I do skip the gym on the first day because I am all crampy, so I use that day as a day off that week (I normally work out at least an hour a session 6 days a week) but from day 2 on I am back at it same as usual. Its a part of life, nothing to make exceptions for!

I do, however, skip the scale the week of... I know in my head that staying the same, or gaining, will all go away, but mentally I dont even want to see the numbers. Id rather just know I am doing the right things and wait an extra week to weigh.
  • mcfrlndsgirl
    Options
    It never fails that the day I start, I gain a few pounds and then when it is over, they go away. Yes sometimes people give in to cravings but I know for a fact that the same thing happened when I made sure I kept strictly to my diet. It is just a part of that time for some women.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just make sure you are still eating what you should and not what you crave and you should be fine once it is all over.
  • librarygirl
    librarygirl Posts: 182
    Options
    I only "officially" weight myself once a month and it is the Saturday at the end of my time of month! I find it is the most accurate.
  • eshwok45
    eshwok45 Posts: 21
    Options
    From day one of counting, I made a rule and stuck to it...never weight myself during my TOM...never.

Keep up the good work! :flowerforyou:
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning. Not because I fixate on it, but out of curiosity. I weigh about 3 lbs more starting 2-3 days before my TOM, but I have ALWAYS weighed less afterward. I do give in to cravings - in moderation. I also tend to go over my cals. For some reason, it's hard for me to not be hungry during TOM...

For example, this month for the entire week prior to the water weight gain, I was weighing in at 143 lbs. Then Aunt Flo started knocking and I weighed 146 for three days in a row. Then three days after Aunt Flo arrived, I weighed in at 140, and then again for two days afterward 140. Since I started this journey, it's been a trend for me to weigh less after TOM than before - even though I gain about 3 lbs during.

I always weigh myself before eating and after using the bathroom, with underwear on or naked... so I have a baseline because I weigh every morning.
  • stephanieann222
    Options
    Thanks guys for all the help! I really hope it is just the water weight. I do try my best to stave off the cravings, I don't eat a lot of salt, but chocolate is a weakness. I guess that ultimately I'll have to wait till next week to see how it goes. I've still kept up my usual pace during this week, and except for the one day out of 7 where I feel my worst, I don't blame anything on ToM. I'll keep what you guys said in mind. :happy: