Dipping Sauces

Options
melcasa
melcasa Posts: 60 Member
I'm currently eating a lot of grilled chicken and I generally put the basic seasonings on it (not a lot of salt though) and then I like to use a sauce on the side to add flavor without a ton of calories (just a small amount of sauce for 4oz of chicken.

Does anyone have some good dipping sauce ideas? I really like chipotle mayo so I've been experimenting with lo cal options there.

But I would really like a broad range of stuff, any style, any heat level, texture, etc.

Thanks MFP community!!!

Replies

• eileen7316
    eileen7316 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I really like Ken's Lite Honey Mustard dressing. To me it tastes like the honey mustard at Outback.

Also, Ranch yogurt dressing is really good. About 1/2 the calories and fat of regular ranch.
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I love marinating my chicken in a low fat/cal italian dressing then grilling it. I also make a marinade of lime juice (can use lemon juice or grapefruit juice, too), basil, garlic and soy sauce...so yummy!
  • ilikejam33
    ilikejam33 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    For chicken i love this sauce i make at home:

2 tbsb grainy dijon mustard
    1 tbsp light soy sauce
    1tsp hot sauce

stir and yum! Low cal and you can experiment with the heat level.
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    i just dip in plain ole sweet baby ray's bbq sauce.......YUM!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt with pureed cucumber, celantro, garlic, salt and pepper.
  • melcasa
    Options
    Thanks everyone! They all sound like good options for me!
  • ChildofGallifrey
    Options
    hmm I kinda dig mayonnaise,soy sauce, and Dijon mustard. Mix them all up and it taste really good. Or ketchup with a bit of Worcester sauce. c:
  • sbcass
    sbcass Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I tried to avoid sauces whenever I can--I can go overboard at times! Instead, I make my own pico de gallo or salsa verde to accompany my meals.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I saw a recipe for a dip (for anything even veggies) that is greek yogurt, and half a package of ranch dressing seasoning. It is thick, and has more protein to it and low fat!
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteousreused
    Options
    It's not very low calorie, but mix up a spicy thick BBQ sauce (like Sweet Baby Ray's) with some ranch dressing.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Mayo & BBQ sauce
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Tzatziki Sauce (I'll let you Google it)
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Buffalo sauce! Franks Red Hot is good. Or you can buy the sauces from Buffalo Wild Wings restaurant, if you have one close by. Mmmmmm.....naked tenders from BWW with Spicy Garlic Sauce.
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    For chicken i love this sauce i make at home:

2 tbsb grainy dijon mustard
    1 tbsp light soy sauce
    1tsp hot sauce

stir and yum! Low cal and you can experiment with the heat level.
    '
    *falls over in pile of drool*

and i so have these in my houe RIGHT NOW!! thank you awesome person for my supper idea tonight *hugs*
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options

this *kitten* is so expensive here i dont dare buy in case i hate it but i just *know* ill love it!!! *bites nails*
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options

this *kitten* is so expensive here i dont dare buy in case i hate it but i just *know* ill love it!!! *bites nails*

It isn't too difficult to make and not too expensive. Greek yogurt, cucumber, onion. Here is one recipe I found. I have made it before, the key is to squeeze the moisture out of the cucumber or else it will be runny.
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/tzatziki-sauce/detail.aspx
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Dude! Make your own with plain yogurt! Tons of recipes out there.
  • melcasa
    Options
    Tzatziki Sauce is really good. One cucumber, fresh mint, greek plain yogurt (like fage) , black pepper and a bit of lemon juice (sometimes I also add a dash of sugar)

I'm thinking about some kind of poppy seed dressing that I could use with some chicken but I'm not sure about how to make it.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Kikkoman Hoisin Sauce! The serving size is 2 Tbsp, but I usually only use 1 tsp max. A little goes a loooooooooong way and it packs a lot of flavor for such a little amount. :)

Note: You have to like Asian seasoning though.