Lost Mum of 2

Options
01ddm
01ddm Posts: 27 Member
Hi Everyone, I'm new to the world of online weight loss but I really need help. I'm a working mum with 2 boys and really need to loss a good 15 kilos. But I'm in such a rut! I manage to push myself so well with everything else in my life but when it comes to my current weight loss it just doesn't work. I can exercise and be good for a few days but then it falls to bits. In the past if I needed to loss a few kilos I removed all the temptations in the house and exercised like mad. Well that just can't happen with kids that get treats and a husband that is fortunate when it comes to his weight. So given an opportunity to eat that chocolate bar I'm there! I just don't know how to deal with this. I have been keeping my diary for the last couple of weeks but its just a waste of time. The thing is I really want to loss the weight - I hate what I see but just can't seem to get the next stage working for me. If anyone has advise I would so appreciate it. I'm looking forward to taking this journey and being one of those who has succeded! Thanks DD

Replies

• amymaria91
    Options
    Maybe you could try putting up a picture around the hosue that you hate of yourself, one that you think makes you look big. Try putting it on the cupboard where you keep your sweets etc. Otherwise you could try getting a skinny picture of someone else, or from when you were younger.

My favourite is I bought a gorgeous dress that is too small and I've got it hung up in my bedroom so I can see it all the time, this really helps to motivate me
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Understand!! :)

I have one son that is underweight, one son that keeps growing, and a husband that doesn't really care what he eats as long as it tastes good. All of my "boys" eat all the time. We have cinnamon rolls, cupcakes, cheesecake, all kinds of soda, sweet tea (house wine of the South), ice cream, pizza rolls, etc...I could go on forever...

What got me into losing the weight was a comment that was made in an interview--the man looked at me and said "There is no way you can travel on a plane for 20 hours." A perfect comment for weight loss. Of course I complained to HR about this and she was considerably heavier than I was. So at 255, that was it..I was done carrying an "extra person" and started.

All I'm doing is watching serving sizes and trying to make better choices. No more potatoes, no more rice (alas--a food group), no more McDonalds, Wendy's, Burger King, and Sonic.

I've realized that what is good for my family isn't exactly good for me. Serving sizes are good for me and making myself exercise has been wonderful. The whole family cheers me on in my progressive weight loss. And they tell their friends..imagine teenage boys telling their friends about their mom's weight loss and being very proud of it.

You can do this. Really...After sticking for 70+ days, I don't know why I didn't do this before... You can do this!! Feel free to add me as a friend..I'm really funny!! :)
  • joannahavana
    Options
    I think it is fine to have a blow out everynow and then. Just pick yourself back up afterwards and get back on track! Dont give up just because you have a slip up.
    Good Luck.
  • TwinMumCork
    TwinMumCork Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I too am a working mum of 2 with a husband who does not need to watch what he eats and worst of all eats chocolate right in front of me at the time I want it most, after the kids have gone to bed.

You have to find the resolve within yourself to start this and then use all us here to help keep you going. I fell off the wagon over the weekend but I have resolved now to keep going till I get the body I want.

I am lucky enough to have a PT who I see twice a week and she keeps me somewhat undercontrol but it is me saying no to the chocolate at home, I try not to eat after 7.30 on PT's advice and have a big glass of water with me when watching TV.

As for exercise I fit in my sessions with the PT for 30 minutes between dropping the boys to creche and work. and do a spinning class one night a week.

Finding time for exercise is really stressful for me but I have gotten into a pretty good routine now and am introducing a walk at lunchtime too.

To help abate the chocolate try always having a glass of water with you. For a sweet treat I eat these chocolate chip oat cakes (only two mind you) with a teaspoon of good nut butter (e.g. peanut). They help with the want.

I know how hard it is and just look for support here.

Add me as a friend and I will give you all the tips I have learned over the years, yep and I am still gaining and loosing the same 22lbs.
  • sojojoshua
    Options
    Its perfectly OK to slip... we are HUMANS...not programmed devices, like I always say... I was also like u... can eat chocolates after chocolates, desserts, frenchfries etc etc... but now, I changed my lifestyle... I eat a fruit as soon as I wake up..then every two hours I eat something (ofcourse healthy stuff...) its like 3 main meals (half of what I usually used to have) and 3 inbetween snacks, which include any 1 of the following.. a bowl of yoghurt, or a handful of peanuts or a wedge of cheese or an apple etc etc... and the last meal would be 2 hours before I sleep. this way, my blood sugar is stable throughout the day, so no cravings.... and Iam not hungry coz I get to eat every 2 hours and actually look forward to the next meal. I try to include protein, carbs and fat in every meal... u need everything and I believe its perverse to deny anything... other than unhealthjy sugar laden and deep fried stuff... try this for a week, u will see u r a changed person with no more wanting the chocolate or fries... plus the energy level is AWESOMe...
    you can add me if u want... :)))
  • 01ddm
    Options
    I tried the inspirational picture of someone who had lost a lot of weight. It was right under my nose when I entered the dreaded cupboard. All I can say is she looked fantastic!!!!!!

But I do like the idea about a picture of myself. This is something that I don't like and the images always flash before my face. But the image don't turn into a chocolate and its all forgotten until the guilt sets in. I will print a few out. Thanks for the tip.:)
  • carolina_r
    carolina_r Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I am a mom too, and my husband never has to watch what he eats. I also have a big time sweet tooth, and not a very athletic disposition...Here is what has worked for me:

- I started using the site to JUST LOG - I made no changes to what I ate, exercise, etc. I just let myself see what I was doing each day.
    - Then I took one thing at a time and tried to change it - SLOWLY. First, I tried to drink 8 glasses of water. Then I tried to work in a bit of activity (short walks, 15 minutes a day). Then I started aiming to be under calorie goal.
    - I had only one friend to begin with - but my diary was open to her, so I felt accountable (she would never say anything disparaging, but knowing that she would see my diary meant that I stopped myself from going overboard on many occasions).

I have continued to make small adjustments, and now almost two months later I have lost 13 lbs! I am eating better / getting more activity than ever. I have a sweet tooth -and I can't just cut it out - I know I would cave sooner or later and it wouldn't be pretty. So, I allow myself a little chocolate each day. I leave it for the end of the day - if I've been good, and I have room in my calorie allotment, I let myself have some. It has kept me on this plan for longer than anything else I've ever tried.

I hope my story gives you some ideas. Good luck!
  • 01ddm
    Options
    Thank you so much foe your tips. I have fallen over in the last few days but will get back on track. I haven't really lost much but I have tried to track. I might try and change a few things slowly. I have managed to get back to the gym and I'm loving it. I enjoy exercising but just lacking enthusiasm at the moment. I do classes and so I get a little push. Unfortunately I have a cold and a sick boy so I'm rest for a couple of days and then straight bcack into the exercise.
    Thanks again for your advise and well done on your lose.
    Take care d
  • khc14
    khc14 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    i too am fighting with 15kg - which was party of 30kg that i'd lost and kept off for about 2 years, but it just crept back on! like you i think i'm fairly sucessful in all other areas of my life but weight loss is just a nightmare for me! i'm either completely indulging in anything and everything from the comfort of my sofa or am at the gym twice a day living on protein shakes - think a middle ground is the way forward in the long term and that's why i'm here! i actually live with my boyf and his mum loives with us too - she is a feeder the likes of which you probably will never have seen before! over the last year i've been slowly plugging away about no/low carbs (she, on her own insistence does all the cooking at home) and i think we're nearly there, meaning I have NO excuse not to crack on with it now! Feel free to friend me, we can fight the 15kg together! xx
  • 01ddm
    Options
    You sound just like me! Its amazing how we can go from one extreme to another. My mum also likes to feed especially whe. She knows you are watching what you eat - that's when it really comes out.

At the moment I seem to finding my feet. I have joined a gym which I love and really look forward to going. With two little ones that don't give me a break during the day I get a chance to destress. Plus they love the play area and get to burn lists of energy which in turn makes them easier to deal with.

Now I just need to get my eating habits in check! That it a challenge and I will work it out - I hope.

Good luck with your weight loss - would love to be friend. X