Curious about Thanksgiving/Holiday food

Options
jean1058
jean1058 Posts: 86 Member
What are everyone's Thanksgiving food plans? Anyone have any really yummy lo-cal or low-fat recipes I could sneak into the feast?

I found another thread similar, but I'm looking specifically for substitutions for the usual fare..... something my family won't realize is 'GOOD" for them.....

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Baklava ala mode!

oops, replied before I saw the "good for you part". carry on....
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Fatty foods made with some TLC is good for all :)
  • beckystephens
    beckystephens Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    yeah i am planning a total pig out day.
  • lexximan
    lexximan Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Mashed Cauliflower!

Haven't tried it yet, but am making some for the holidays to come.
    Heard that most people cant tell the difference.
    Search around here for some recipes.
    =]
  • insyweensy
    insyweensy Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Check out www.skinnytaste.com

She has tons of awesome (delicious) low fat recipes!
  • smrtcar
    smrtcar Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Wildrice stuffing with dried cranberries and mushrooms.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I made gluten free non-dairy pumpkin muffins that turned out really well and are only 85 calories each:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/400462-85-calorie-gluten-free-non-dairy-pumpkin-muffins

I also made a GF non-dairy pumpkin coffeecake with streusel nut topping that came out to less than 250 calories/slice - that's a lot, but then again, it is a pretty decadent dessert.

The GF non-dairy pumpkin cheesecake I am making will also be under 250 calories/slice.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Sorry, can't help you here, we go all out at Thanksgiving, use real butter, real whipped cream, lard in the pie crusts etc (we eat healthy the rest of the time). PORTION CONTROL is how I deal with it. Have a Happy Thanksgiving Everyone
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    Fatty foods made with some TLC is good for all :)

Once (maybe twice) a year makes you appreciate the occasions that much more.
  • CBranson0503
    Options
    Mashed Cauliflower!

=]

You can tell the difference. The texture is slightly off from potatoes. BUT they are still delicious. Mix a little chicken broth in if you can't get the texture right.
  • CBranson0503
    Options
    Me and the hubby are starting our own tradition for Thanksgiving this year. We're going hiking all morning and then coming home and making an all out Thanksgiving dinner for just the two of us. I am not worried about pigging out for one day, plus I will be hiking all morning and working off some extra calories.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Mashed Cauliflower!

=]

You can tell the difference. The texture is slightly off from potatoes. BUT they are still delicious. Mix a little chicken broth in if you can't get the texture right.

I do half cauliflower and half red potatoes mashed with garlic laughing cow cheese wedges. SO GOOD!!!
  • jlc1243
    jlc1243 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Scalloped apples and butternut squash

1lb butternut squash, peeled and cubed (or use frozen for a faster pre/cooking)
    3 apples, any kind (but I finder firmer is better) peeled and sliced
    1/4 c light brown sugar (you can also use brown sugar substitutes, like 50/50 splenda, brown sugar)
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 tbsp flour (prefer whole wheat)
    3 tbsp tub margarine, like smart balance or best life spread

lay squash in a 9" baking dish, arrange apples on top, set aside
    melt tub butter, and pour into sugar/flour mixture so it makes a syrup
    pour syrup mixture over apples.
    Cover and bake until sqaush and apples are soft- time depends on whether you use frozen(~35min) or fresh squash(~60 min).
    Uncover and bake 5 min more until syrup mixure thickens and browns slightly.

YUM-O, its like desert with veggies. Everyone loves it and I've brought it to many a pot luck.
  • Arabian♥Breeze
    Options
    Cucumbertunasaladoderbs.jpg

Beautiful elegant Hors d'oeuvre And easy to make too!!!! Cucumbers with tuna salad or Chicken. then sprinkled with paprika and chives. I use Olive oil Mayo or Canola oil mayo they are healthier!

ITS SO YUMMY!!!

Happy Thanksgiving!
  • wagreen
    wagreen Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Just going to do it up...can't wait! I will get it together Thanksgiving night, if I feel like it, or start out fresh on Friday. I won't be shopping this year...been there, done that! I believe Next week I will be on a strict cut back and then I will be good until Christmas...Happy Thanksgiviing y'all and be thankful because... You are apart of the MFP family and you are doing a great job so celebrate and be thankful for this journey that has been placed in your heart and minds... we are doing a wonderful thing...thank God for the body he has given us...and we WILL take care of it!
  • mlbazemore
    mlbazemore Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Sorry, can't help you here, we go all out at Thanksgiving, use real butter, real whipped cream, lard in the pie crusts etc (we eat healthy the rest of the time). PORTION CONTROL is how I deal with it. Have a Happy Thanksgiving Everyone

AMEN! Happy Thanksgiving to you too!!!!
  • lexximan
    lexximan Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Mashed Cauliflower!

=]

I do half cauliflower and half red potatoes mashed with garlic laughing cow cheese wedges. SO GOOD!!!
    ^^^ That sounds pretty tasty!! Must try! Thanks
  • Froggy1976
    Options
    Mashed Cauliflower!

=]

And the smell is definitely off. They are good but not really like mashed potatos.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Mashed Cauliflower!

=]

My grandson found out my daughter put cauliflower in the mashed potatoes and now refuses to eat mashed potatoes again. Don't let them know if you have picky eaters.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I dont like the idea that to be "good" food has to be filled with butter and sugar. Isn't this the opposite of a lifestyle change?

I am making mashed sweet potatoes, and adding one oz of goat cheese for every 3-4oz of potato. It is really rich tasting, but not all that bad for you.

About 150 calories per serving.