i want to quit smoking

Options
peej76
peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
So I've decided to give it another try. I am actually getting sick of smoking, and just want to achieve an allover healthy lifestyle! I want to be there to watch my children and future grandchildren grow up. I want to be a good role model! But I am so scared of gaining weight! Is there anyone out there who has quit without gaining any of there lost pounds back? If so I'd love to hear how you did it! I really want this first for myself second for my family!

On another note I just joined this site a week ago, and have never counted calories before so all last week I was either way under or above, I was getting discouraged but after weigh in I found I had lost 4 lbs, not bad!! So I'm going to continue counting calories, I know like everything new it just takes a bit of getting used to!

Replies

• peej76
    Options
    So I've decided to give it another try. I am actually getting sick of smoking, and just want to achieve an allover healthy lifestyle! I want to be there to watch my children and future grandchildren grow up. I want to be a good role model! But I am so scared of gaining weight! Is there anyone out there who has quit without gaining any of there lost pounds back? If so I'd love to hear how you did it! I really want this first for myself second for my family!

On another note I just joined this site a week ago, and have never counted calories before so all last week I was either way under or above, I was getting discouraged but after weigh in I found I had lost 4 lbs, not bad!! So I'm going to continue counting calories, I know like everything new it just takes a bit of getting used to!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you.

I quit and went on a diet at the same time. It took a long time to start losing, but I didn't gain anything. Actually I quit on vacation, then started the diet as soon as I got home. It was easier for me to quit when I was not on my normal schedule.
  • doglvr_75
    doglvr_75 Posts: 144
    Options
    I wish I knew the answer to that one...I got stupid about 5 years ago...(desperate, actually)..and started smoking in order to lose weight...I need to quit, but I'm scared silly that I'll gain weight...Good luck to you and hopefully someone can post some success tips.....:smokin: :laugh: vee
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    When I quit I took up jogging and then running -- just something exercise wise that would replace sucking smoke into my lungs with oxygen. OMG it was painful when I started because my lungs were so not used to that kind of strenuous activity 5 days in a row. It took me about 3 months to start to really enjoy the running while it only took me a couple of weeks to really get over the not smoking.

The running and other exercises helped to tone me up at the time while burning the extra food that I was putting into me at the time. Eventually I was running longer distances and faster times that I soon got past the food issues too.

That worked for me until surgeries on my knees but now I'm back into a routine that is equally as enjoyable and getting my act back together once again.

Whatever you do I personally feel you need to replace the smoking habit with something that forces you to breath hard and deep for a period of time to replace the need to have a cigarette.

Good Luck! Bob
  • perichad
    perichad Posts: 7
    Options
    HI, I was able to quit after 33 years of 1 pack a day. it has been 13 months now and I have no desire to start again. I give all credit to the medication "Chantix" I have never been able to stop before and this really helped, you can actually smoke while taking the medication. Yes I gained some weight, which is why im on this site but I allowed myself to for 8 months, then once I was no longer needing a smoke, I started the diet portion. All I can say is to stop smoking makes you feel so much better and stronger "mentally" that once you do that you can do anything and that includes loosing the weight. You know you have to do it, its either now or later. If your ready that helps alot, Give yourself some room and it will all fall together. Good Luck!
  • chiefiron
    chiefiron Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    i quit almost a year and a half ago. i didnt gain any weight until almost a year in and that was due to stress and lack of excersice at that time more than any thing else.

I can tell you it is not easy, i used commit lozenges to help but every day still i want to smoke. doesnt help that every other person i work with either smokes or chews.

you and do both and a site like this is going to help. if any thing it can take your mind off smoking or eating while you put in your daily info.

good luck i know you can do it.

Tim
  • mvan
    mvan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    In the last year I have quit smoking and lost 30 pounds.

It all started when I had a blood clot in my leg and was hospitalized for 6 days and was put on a blood thinner. I decided it was time to shape up or I was not going to be around. The doctor told me I needed to quit smoking and lose a few pounds.

It is now a year later and I cannot believe how much better I feel. I just got done working out where I burned 1000 calories by riding the elliptical(900 calories) for 1 hour and taking a 15 minute swim(100 calories).

I work out everyday (don't tell me you don't have time - you will be twice as productive once you make it part of your routine. I log every carlorie I eat and make sure at the end of the day I have burned more than I have consumed.

Don't try to lose to fast. A pound a week will get the job done and you will feel great. Just get started and build some momentum - I can't tell you how good it feels.
  • enkcott
    enkcott Posts: 29
    Options
    I just passed my one year anniversary of quitting smoking! I too used Chantix and thought it was great! I put on about 15 pounds over the last year and am trying to lose it again. I was active before quitting running, and doing/teaching pilates. It takes time and your body has to adjust. One of the things your body craves is salt. Smoking decreased your sodium levels so watch out for over indulging in salty stuff like I did! Good luck! It is definitely worth it!
  • dhellenwinter
    dhellenwinter Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hats of to you for thinking about it- don't quit- quitting. I have been a heavy smoker for 30 years at last a pack a day and tried everything to quit. The chantix did it for me- yes I still crave it and have put on about 8 lbs. since 1-17-08 but it is worth it.
    Like some of you I never tracked calories before- I'm at my absolute heaviest right now and am truly hoping this site can help.
    Good luck to you - you can do it !!
    "D"
  • Life_is_Good
    Life_is_Good Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    This is my second time quitting - 1st time I quit using Zyban - gained about 10 pounds - after 4 years started again.... stupid... stupid... stupid...

This time I am using Chantix - It's been 1 month of not smoking & dieting (I have lost 5 lbs instead of gaining 10 - motivating for both bad habits). It is really easier to not eat than to not smoke, but it's working & the crabbiness is going away.

Good luck to you.
  • whyldflower
    Options
    I too quit smoking thanks to a lot of determination and Chantix. I smoked a pack a day for about 18 years. Today is day 41 without smoking and I feel great. I have put on a couple pounds, but thats been happening for a few months now and has added up to about 20 pounds. I have been exercising 7 days a week, mostly elliptical and weights, for 3 wks. now and have lost 5 lbs. and I have never felt better in my life. Don't give up...keep trying and if you dont mind taking a pill 2 times a day for a couple of months I highly reccomend the Chantix. You will need a scrip from your doctor.

Good Luck!
    Lisa
  • walnut
    walnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I quit 2 1/4 years ago. I don't recall gaining much weight, but even if you do gain a little weight, trust me, IT IS FAR BETTER THAN SMOKING!!! You will feel so much better, and exercise will be easier. I really like Bob's advice - the extra breathing from exercise really helps replace the feeling of smoking. Some other things I did was every time I wanted a cigarette I convinced myself I was just thirsty and drank water instead. I'm sure that sounds silly, but it helped me. I also munched on carrots and celery a lot. I too highly recommend Zyban.

Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • eyescatchfire
    eyescatchfire Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey a couple of years ago. I have to say that I think eating better and exercising is a lot harder than not smoking, but I only smoked for about 5 years. I did not gain any weight when I quit, but I've been heavy my entire life.

I did not do this (but I wish I had!) but maybe you can put the money you would use for cigs in a jar, and then at the end of the month (or week, whatever) do something nice for yourself, like buy a movie or a new piece of clothing. You could also save the cash for a vacation. If my parents quit smoking today, saved the money, and didn't smoke for a year, they would have $7280 (4 cartons a week x $35 [est] x 52 weeks)

Also, I know someone who had to stop using Chantix because of some side effects (gastrointestinal related) so be sure to talk to your doctor about what to expect.

Good luck, whichever route you choose to go!
  • peej76
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies, if anyone wants to take me on as their project so I have someone to answer to if I want to fall off the wagon please feel free. Alot of my friends are smokers, and the ones who aren't have never smoked a cig a day in their lives so it's nice having people who understand what I'm going through! I have one friend who recently quit and has shut out everyone from the outside world to stop temptation and that's working for her so far, but I don't want to completley isolate myself!! Thanks again for all your support!
  • jcummings69
    jcummings69 Posts: 183
    Options
    I too am I Chantix success story. After 8 years of smoking a pack a day I quit in November using Chantix. For me, gaining wait wasn't an issue when I quit smoking because I never replaced food with cigarettes - I just enjoyed them both! I have to say that quitting smoking was such a huge accomplishment for me that it has given me the mentality that I can do anything. It really does make you mentally stronger as someone else mentioned. In addition it makes you physically stronger. Work outs are so much easier than before. I am not afraid of going to a cardio class at the gym because I'm embarrassed I will be too out of breath because of my smoker lungs. Trust me, even if you do gain a little weight it will be worth it!
  • goodtimesdani
    Options
    its funny this subject is brought up, because me and my boyfriend both decided we are going to have our last pack today. im very very sad about it, but ive been working out the past few weeks, and cant last more than 30 minutes on the ellip., and can't jog hardly at all! so thats some good motivation to quit. im having second thoughts, because I enjoy smoking soo much. but I also want to lose weight by doing lots of cardio, and I don't think I can have the best of both worlds! somebody please remind me why i should quit!! :smokin:
  • Assilem
    Assilem Posts: 21
    Options
    I quit last June for the same reason. I want to see my kids grow up. It felt guilty everytime I had a smoke and decided that it was selfish of me to smoke and quite possibly cause my own death and leave them years earlier that I might have to. Plus, I didn't want them to see me smoking and influence them to smoke also.

I don't really have any tips on how to curb the cravings and all of that.

Some advice that I can give is to go to your doctor and get him to tell you how much damage you have done to yourself. That's some initiative right there. Or hopefully, for your sake you could quite and get the horrible symptoms that come after that will make you never want to smoke again in your life. I quit in June and coughed everyday and night straight until about November. I didn't sleep. I constantly annoyed the people I worked with. And was coughing until I threw up a lot of the time. I eventually went to the doctor and had to be put on an inhaler, get chest x-rays and blood taken, and I'm only 25, so that was very scary for me!

Think mind over matter. That's what I did. Good luck! You can do it.
  • perichad
    perichad Posts: 7
    Options
    I would be glad to help you whenever you need. Seriously I think you can do this.!!!!
    we could share e-mails if youd like.
    Peri