I've never made a Thanksgiving meal before... What do I make

Options
Ilovepeppers
Ilovepeppers Posts: 396 Member
I'm having relatives over + theres my husband and my three kiddos. My husband was going to do the turkey and I was going to do the dessert (pumpkin or chocolate cheesecake) but I have no idea what else to make. I was thinking
Mashed potatoe
Biscuits
Corn bread muffins
Green bean casserole
Gravy

What else do people typically make?

Replies

• KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Stuffing!
  • SuddenlyPickles
    Options
    Stuffing, cranberries, yams/sweet potatoes... YUMMM!
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I might be making my 1st T-day meal as well..

I'll be making turkey, mashed potatoes, broccoli/rice casserole, stuffing and not sure what else. Carb heaven!
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I'm making the following side dishes:

Chicken sausage stuffing (skinnytaste.com)
    cranberry relish (super easy!)
    sauteed green beans w/ bacon
    Mashed sweet potato brulee (skinnytaste.com)
    Mashed Potatoes/Gravy
    Sweet potato pie
    Choc Pudding Pie
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    cranberries and veggie trays OH YEA don't forget the candied sweet potatoes (but only eat a little of those) Happy Thanksgiving AND great job taking on the meal, I pray for the day one of my girls has a big enough house to host the dinner. lol
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    Can I make a suggestion- since you're a newbie to this?

DON'T try to do it all yourself- if someone asks if they can bring something,
    ACCEPT the offer graciously.

I say this in all sincerity...particularly if you ever plan on doing it again...
    you're starting a *dangerous* habit of biting off more than you can chew later on in life.........

Trust me, I've seen it happen more than once.

Let them bring side dishes.
    Most everyone WANTS to.

AND....let them HELP with the clean up afterwards too.
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Baked yams/sweet potatoes are delicious. We love spaghetti squash too.
  • Green Bean Casserole, Sweet Potatoes with Marshmellows, Cranberry Sauce, Turkey (Obv), Stuffing, Mashed Potatoes, Gravy, Pecan Pie, Pumpkin Pie, You name it!!
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Can I make a suggestion- since you're a newbie to this?

DON'T try to do it all yourself- if someone asks if they can bring something,
    ACCEPT the offer graciously.

I say this in all sincerity...particularly if you ever plan on doing it again...
    you're starting a *dangerous* habit of biting off more than you can chew later on in life.........

Trust me, I've seen it happen more than once.

Let them bring side dishes.
    Most everyone WANTS to.

AND....let them HELP with the clean up afterwards too.

ABSOLUTELY - I do the turkey/stuffing, potatoes, gravey, cranberries and pumpkin pies, the girls bring the rest. The GUYS clean the pans, the rest of the famdamily help with dishes/
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Cooking Light has a light Green Bean Casserole Recipe you could try. And what about roasted instead of mashed potatoes? I dice the potatoes and then season them with some Mrs. Dash blend. Super YUMMY!
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I made a turkey, gravy, sausage/apple stuffing, mashed sweet potatoes, mashed potato casserole, (I REALLY like potatoes), grilled asparagus and garlic, steamed carrots with light drizzle of honey, and had a pumpkin pie (store bought, I was too tired to make it from scratch!)

I would have loved cranberry sauce too, but no one else eats it with me :grumble:

I did it all by myself, insisted on working alone. It was fun, but I had to wake up at 8am to have dinner ready for 5pm
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    Do you not have ROAST potatoes with Turkey? I am English and obviously we don't do Thanksgiving, but for Christmas dinner I always do

Some sort of starter, we might have portabella mushrooms stuffed with stilton and wrapped in proscutto

Roast Turkey with stuffing
    Roast Potatoes
    Pigs in blankets, which is cocktail sausages wrapped in bacon and roasted with the turkey
    Roasted parsnips, I put maple syrup on them
    Brussel sprouts
    Brocolli
    Cauliflour
    Peas
    Whole baby carrots
    Bread sauce
    Cranberry sauce with port
    Gravy

Followed by Christmas Pudding, with brandy sauce

We will have champagne, obviously and then later port and cheese
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I didn't see deviled eggs listed. I always make deviled eggs too. :smile:
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    Green Bean Casserole, Sweet Potatoes with Marshmellows, Cranberry Sauce, Turkey (Obv), Stuffing, Mashed Potatoes, Gravy, Pecan Pie, Pumpkin Pie, You name it!!

CRAP! i knew i forgot something yesterday! Marshmallows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!