Fiber and Protein - too much?

I am a super newbie, but as I've started to track on my food diary, I have been going over on fiber and protein. I always thought it was good to eat more of this, so is this something I should be worried about? Today I've had whole wheat toast, an egg, and a bowl of black beans, quinoa and tofu. Should I be concerned with fiber and protein and how it pertains to my weight loss?

Thanks!

Replies

• MrsRipdizzle
    MrsRipdizzle Posts: 490 Member
    The default MFP sets is VERY low (like 15% protein or something?) so you should really change your macros (settings/goals). I do 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat and that's a safe range for a lot of people for healthy weight loss. Also, I think default fiber is what, 15 grams? You should aim for at least 25 grams a day...nothing wrong with fiber! If you eat more, that's great, just be sure to drink lots of water so you don't get backed up. :)

I'm of the camp that you really can't have too much protein! You should be eating 1 gram for every ounce of lean body mass you are if you want to lose weight without eating up too much of your muscle (weight lifting helps keep that part under control).
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Fibre I wouldn't worry about, women under age 50 need at least 25g. Protein, it depends on how much. Usually you need about 0.36g per pound you weigh.

This has some information on protein. http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50900
  • DawnB86
    DawnB86 Posts: 99 Member
    Other than gastrointestinal discomfort, I'm not sure too much fiber is bad. Too much protein may be hard on your kidneys though. My doc always tells me, if you're going to be over, try not to go over by more than 10.
  • Normally Protein and Fiber are the things you want to focus on in any weight loss plan so I think you're probably doing good! As long as you aren't going over the recommended calories you should lose. I used to always go over on those but I adjusted my plan to accomodate more protein and fiber. Keep going on what you're doing for now and be sure to check your weight and measurements in a week or so just to make sure. No plan can be a one size fits all so listen to your body! Feel free to add me if you'd like!
    Terri
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member
    It is okay to be over in protein and fiber, but you want to watch the fiber. Anything past 50 g in a day can cause digestive problems.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,224 Member
    Yeah, the MFP numbers on fiber are too low. Best to shoot for 25g to 35g a day and as someone already stated you don't have to worry about it unless you go over 50g.
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 436 Member
    Nothing wrong with being a bit high on fiber and protein...just drink plenty of water!
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,380 Member
    I look at MFP recs for protein, fiber, and calcium for me as *bare minimums*. If I'm not over that rec each day, I have failed. MFP recommends something like 45g protein for me, I aim to get close to 100g. My recommended fiber is 14g which I blow past easily without even trying.
  • Great, thanks everyone!!! I definitely think the MFP recommendations are a great start, but you're right, tailoring it to my body and needs is where I'll see change. Thank you again!!
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    The 25 g recommendation for fiber is a minimum based on the 2000 calorie a day diet that most nutritional labels use. MFP pro-rates it downward for those with lower caloric intakes, but I find that the fiber (and protein for that matter) help me feel satisfied longer. And since I've been consuming more fiber, I've noticed that my belly fat is going down faster than anything else. Just make sure you drink LOTS of water, or the fiber can actually constipate you.