NOLA & Baton Rouge - Tips?

Hi, everyone! I am kind of new on the boards, but when I was on WWers, I used the community boards religiously.

In 2 weeks, I'll be in NOLA for a professional conference. Its our largest professional conference of the year. Unfortunately, I waited too long to book my flight and found the only available was into Baton Rouge.

So - 2 questions for the southern belles on here:

We are planning on taking the LA Swift from BR to NOLA. Is this ok?

What are the must see things to do, and how the heck do I stay on track while I'm there and not blow my diet?

Help please! ;)

Replies

• I don't know about the LA Swift - but make sure you check out DBA on Frenchman Street in NOLA. Our waiter told us its where all the locals go and it was an awesome time :)

Good luck with staying on track - I was only there for 3 days and found it extremely difficult!
  • TheCats_Meow
    TheCats_Meow Posts: 438 Member
    As a native Louisianian.........good luck!

Seriously, though, everything in moderation! The food is off the chain, but just don't over do it.

Definitely tour downtown N.O., take a riverboat tour, go to Cafe Du Monde, explore the French Quarter.

Have fun!!!
  • GeoJenna223
    GeoJenna223 Posts: 68 Member
    Tips for eating healthy in New Orleans (written by a NOLA native!)
    1.) Don't survive on fried food - Lets face it. Fried food tastes great, but if you want to enjoy your day walking around the conference and the city, you don't want the weight of a whole fried oyster poboy on your hips. Try to go for boiled seafood or grilled fish. G.W. Fins is really close to the conference center and has some really good not fried dishes.
    2.) Get some oysters. Drago's is a great place to go for a dish called "chargrilled oysters" now, if you just order them regularly, they will be coated in butter, but if you are trying to stay on track, ask for the butter drizzle on the side and do it yourself! Drago's is located in the Hilton Riverside hotel, right next to the conference center.
    3.) New Orleans has REALLY REALLY good sushi. Horinoya is an awesome sushi place about a 10-15 minute walk down Poydras (near O'keefe) that has amazing sushi. All of their fish is always fresh, order something from the specials board.
    4.) Not neccessarily nutritious, but delicious and not heavy!!
    There are some four and five star restaurants that offer lunchtime dining deals. The portions are smaller, and the food is superb. Examples of this include Restaurant August, prix fix lunch 25.00 with $0.25 martinis; Cafe Adelaide prix fix 18-24 with $0.10 martinis. Restaurant August is on Tchopitoulas and Gravier and Cafe Adelaide is on poydras and south peters. I am not sure of the nutritiousness of these two restaurants, but the quality of food is superb!

If you really want to try some authentic cajun cooking, check out Mother's. It is on the corner of Poydras and Tchopitoulas. It is by no means healthy but it is in all respects tasty. Their etouffe, jambalaya and gumbo are really good for a restaurant (i say that because my maw-maw's blows theirs out of the water!).
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    As a native Louisianian.........good luck!

Seriously, though, everything in moderation! The food is off the chain, but just don't over do it.

Definitely tour downtown N.O., take a riverboat tour, go to Cafe Du Monde, explore the French Quarter.

Have fun!!!

I agree. Also, boiled shrimp is low in calories. And gumbo is not too bad on the calorie scale.

And first and foremost: WELCOME TO THE SOUTH!!!! Best time to come because the humidity is not as bad as in the summer months. Enjoy a nice walk in the French Quarter, visit the Farmer's Market. Ease in and out of the shops and if you must, only if you must, take a sample of the best pralines in the world.

Wishing you a great time!
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    GeoJenna is so right.

And Mother's. OMGoodness! Awesome! Muffalatta Heaven! Oh, but don't order that! Your calories will be blown for a month. :)
  • Thanks everyone! I printed your tips. I'm getting excited!