The more people notice, the lazier I get

Options
I need some help finding motivation. For quite a while I had no problem convincing myself to eat well and go to the gym every night, even if it was late. Now that I've lost over 50 lbs, every other day it seems a co-worker or friend/family asks if I'm losing weight or comments how well I'm doing. I now find myself making excuses to avoid the gym or eat out instead of cooking. I'm really starting to hate the compliments.
Reading other posts on here makes me think I'm sort of oddity though because compliments seem to motivate most people to work harder.

Replies

• MariaAlbinaxoxo
    MariaAlbinaxoxo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I am the EXACT same way! When I step on the scale and I'm a pound less I get so excited and think I can skip the gym that day or treat myself to a candy bar. I just keep thinking of what's in store if I keep thinking that way and I get the motivation I need to never let myself feel that depressed again.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Take your shirt off and look at yourself in the mirror. Is there room for improvement? If so, get to work.
  • MomOfRose
    MomOfRose Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way; for me, getting noticed is some sort of affirmation that I'm done, even though I know I'm not.
  • rickyd88
    rickyd88 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    It's GREAT that they've noticed, it shows how far you've come. Just think too - if you quit putting in the effort I'm sure people will also notice you putting the weight back on. I sure know what I'd like to hear from people and it's not that I'm putting all the weight back on.

Keep going!
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I have been going thru the exact same thing lately, feeling like it's okay that I'm on a plateau when I'm so close to my goals because I look good, everybody says so.

I finally had to make some mini goals. Do the 30 Day Shred from Nov 1 thru Nov 30. And I have done it ever single day, even when I don't want to, with only 8 days left I know I can do it and I can really see the difference. Take a mini break up from the scale (we were fighting anyways). Do a re-feed since I'd been low calorie for over 6 months. And it totally worked. I stepped on the scale to see a 4.2 lb loss in a little over 2 weeks. It really helped my mood and attitude.

Good luck!
  • Cathleenr
    Options
    Take your shirt off and look at yourself in the mirror. Is there room for improvement? If so, get to work.

lol rock. <3
  • hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I do that but not because I feel like what I've done is good enough. It's more of a I don't give a crap, I'm never going to be happy when I look in the mirror. But I'm a little flipped out and self destructive right now so.....
  • NanciKay
    NanciKay Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Grrrrrrr...I feel like that way too much!:explode:
  • Koketa0510
    Options
    Same here ... :( even though I "look" ok I know that I still have 20pds to go but when I hear family members telling me how great I look now and stuff then I just get super lazy. I really need to step it up though... And I WOULD lift my shirt up but I tend to start crying when I see the stretchmarks. Pregnancy was not kind to my abs -____-.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    WOW. I thought I was the only one that felt that way. I've hit a couple of pretty major goals and am feeling much better about myself! So much more to go but had a hard time finding that motivation to keep going!
  • espence30
    espence30 Posts: 116 Member
    Options

that works for me.. i think i feel good and look better, then at night i look in mirror as i change and realize there is still more work to do
  • andreahanlon
    andreahanlon Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me I was down about 20 lbs last year when I first starting using MFP-- to my lowest in literally a decade (60 lbs overall). People kept telling me how beautiful I was and I started getting eyes from men at the gas station and such... and I stopped losing, even though health-wise, I should have definately lost a good 30 more pounds. Then I started gaining. Now, here I am, a year later, having gained back 15 pounds. It's great to love our successes but not at the expense of health and total confidence!
  • JadeMarie78
    JadeMarie78 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Wow! I do the same thing. The minute I started getting compliments and fit back into "some" of my clothes I got comfortable. I'm still working to get back on track. It's not easy getting back on.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I've definitely had this issue too. So many co-workers and friends have asked if I'm at my goal yet... I still have 18 pounds to go. And I'm only aiming for 5 pounds below the heaviest weight the BMI tables list in my healthy range.

I can definitely still see room for improvement, but the changes are happening much slower now. Sometimes it's discouraging to see how long it takes to make any significant difference these days.

Wish I had some great advice, but I'm just focusing on taking it one day at a time. Do remember that exercise has many benefits other than weight loss and is worth doing even if you're maintaining.
  • solman66
    solman66 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Glad to know other people feel the same way. There's definitely room for improvement, so I guess I need to refocus and maybe set some mini goals.