Running question. Need help!!!

Options
Hi all. I'm hoping someone could possibly help me w/ some advice. I've started running about a month and a half or so ago. Everything was going smoothly. I was even increasing my speed & running for longer amounts of time. About a couple of weeks ago when I would start running, my shin would start hurting. Shortly after, my calf would get & would just feel heavy. I took a break for a couple of days & didn't have any more pain or discomfort until today. Could it be shin splints?? And if so, what do you do about them?

Replies

• ahni77
    ahni77 Posts: 75
    Options
    do you have the right running shoe? Are you stretching before or after your runs? Are you taking rest days inbetween?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Here is a great thread on shin splints
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/322021-help-with-your-shin-splints

If I read correctly, you upped speed and time. If you are experiencing issues after doing that, you may want to consider reducing one or both (depending on what works) until your problem goes away, then try increasing a little slower. I would pick one or the other for now. Increase time, then speed, or speed, then time, not both at the same time.
  • jagar07
    jagar07 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I find this interesting too, because I deal with the same issue
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I've had shin splints from time to time, I find that stretching on days even when I'm not running and stretching extra on the days I do run is vital. I also bought some compression socks that made my legs feel better even though my stride felt 'off' that day. Something new to work on, but it helped the feeling.
  • lovestobaketoo
    lovestobaketoo Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    This might sound odd, but you need to make sure you are drinking enough fluids too. Try rolling legs out on foam roller.
  • curbnoise
    curbnoise Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I ran 15-20 miles a week all summer and as the fall weather started acting up I went for a few runs on the treadmill at the gym and my calves starting cramping up. Turns out my shoes (while still looking ok) had lost their cushioning and was leading to the cramps.

Went to the running store, had my gait analyzed on the treadmill ( I had this done a long time ago before I quit running for several years-I have an issue with pronating) and got a new pair of shoes. Cramps gone.

Can't express enough how important the right pair of shoes are.
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    i was told when your shins or the balls of your feet start to hurt is when you need a new pair of running shoes :)

congrats on starting running!!
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I agree with the new shoes. I was having pains with my $20 payless shoes after a couple months but I just went out and got some decent running shoes since I'm starting to be more serious with it and I haven't had any issues since.
  • jessilyn76
    jessilyn76 Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I had a wide array of issues, knees, ankle and shins.........it was my shoes. Go get a free anaylsis, a new pair might make the difference.
  • huckahe
    Options
    A few things to try.......
    Try stretching and strengthening your tibia and fibula bones (shin and calf bones) by sitting on a chair with your feet (barefoot) flat on the floor on a towel. Try to scrunch the towel up from flat to one long roll.
    Also try sitting on the floor with legs straight out in front of you and try spelling the letters of the alphabet with your feet/toes (both feet). All this ankle and toe movement will help with these two bones and the surrounding muscles. It may even hurt if you are sore in the shin area. Good Luck!
  • wonca
    wonca Posts: 81
    Options
    Assuming you have proper running shoes.. I went through something similar when I first started running and for me, it was just my body building up to taking the impact from running.

I had to take a little bit of time off (while I continued walking 3x/week) to build up those muscles/bones. These days I make sure to stretch before my runs and haven't had any problems since then.

Good luck!

and what huckahe said.. :)
  • membersbounce
    Options
    To follow up the first reply (and the one just posted), I suggest that you first consider your shoes. If you have a local running store, you may consider going there and having them fit you with a shoe after measuring you and watching you run. If your current shoes are new, then they may be able to adjust them with an orthodic insert.

Another alternative is to order your shoes from roadrunnersports.com. They have a 60 day return policy that allows you to run in the shoes and return them for a credit if you do not like them. This allows you to order a few pairs and try them out to see which ones work the best for you. Once you find a pair that you like, I suggest ordering more than one pair because next year's model may not work the same for you and it may be hard to find the model that you liked as time goes by.

Once you have the right shoes, you will need to change them out every 300 to 500 miles, even if they look good on the outside. Also, you may consider rotating the shoes that you wear so that they wear out more slowly.

Some other thoughts: (i) have a purpose for each run, even if it is as simple as "jog three easy miles" and keep a journal of when you run, the route that you run, how fast you run, the weather. If you run into problems, the journal may help you pinpoint the cause. For example, one day you may run more hills than another and you may notice the shin/calf problem on those particular days. Having a purpose for each run will keep you from simply trying to run each day faster than the last and will also let you judge whether or not you are running with the right partners (if you have any right now). Slow runs are an important part of building a "running mileage base" and, at least in my experience, trying to increase my speed to quickly often led to injuries and pains that would sidetrack me for a while.

Best of luck!
  • mehi79
    mehi79 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the feedback!!! I do have a new pair of running shoes. The store that I bought them at specializes in running shoes. They had me stand so that they could check my ankles, run for them, & they checked my gait. It was a long process, but I got the shoes that were right for me. I do stretch before & after running. Also, I usually drink about 1 1/2 gal of water a day. So, I'm assuming that I'm hydrated enough.

Wonca - I do believe a lot of it has to do w/ my body building up to it. It has been years since I've ran as part of an exercise routine. Guess the added weight doesn't help either. Lol.

Huckahe - I will definitely try those!!

Thanks bunches everyone!!!
  • mehi79
    mehi79 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Okay, the thread on shin splints was a great help as well. Thanks again!!
  • missjoci
    missjoci Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    bump