Any advice on emotional binge eating?

Options
I can go all day being "good". I plan out my meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner. But whenever I get overly tired, stressed or upset I tend to eat myslef into oblivion:sad: I just seem to have no self control when I get started. HELP!

172964.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• msmichael
    msmichael Posts: 21
    Options
    I can go all day being "good". I plan out my meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner. But whenever I get overly tired, stressed or upset I tend to eat myslef into oblivion:sad: I just seem to have no self control when I get started. HELP!

172964.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    well that's what we are here for! Get on the board, pour your heart out, and voila! stress relieved, no calories consumed!

best stress relievers:

1. exercise
    2. venting (sometimes known as ranting):laugh:
    3. cuddling (if-ya-know-what-I-mean):blushing:

and they are all calorie free!
  • tmarianne
    tmarianne Posts: 16
    Options
    I can completely relate. All day through school and work I'm a saint and then I get home and actually have time to think about everything that's going on and I'll eat until I literally feel I might explode. I find it helps a lot to brush my teeth right after supper. Also helps me to chew gum or distract myself by focusing on something completely away from the kitchen, like reading or doing homework in my room.
    Last thing that really helped me this week (since this is the first week in ages that I've managed not to go on insane binges) was thinking about how full and depressed and unattractive I do feel after those binges. They never actually make you feel better.

Hope some of that helps? :smile:
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Decide what you want to eat, then exercise enough to earn it. If you still want it by the time you're done, eat it without regrets. If not, you can have an extra nice dinner.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    keep yourself super busy you won't have time to think-

Im not an emotional eater but I am super busy and I don't have time after work to think about food like oooh i want to munch- not to mention if you really put your goals into perspective those foods aren't worth it-
  • lenmana
    lenmana Posts: 171
    Options
    Feel ya...trying to keep myself from running out to Wendy's right now!

Sometimes and this is so sad, but true...I just go to bed early so I don't feel the urge to eat :)
  • OliveBranch
    OliveBranch Posts: 104
    Options
    I totally am with you on this...I've had that problem on and off for a few years...the best thing that has helped me is to stay EXTRA busy, but most importantly, knowing my triggers for overeating and avoiding the kitchen at all costs durring that time. Also, give yourself 20 minutes. If you feel the urge to overeat, even intensely, wait 20 minutes. Go get some fresh air or talk to a friend. Wheather you eat or not, the urge passes.
    Good luck, you're not alone!
    We're in this together.
    -Olive Branch
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I haven't found the secret to that but I have figured out a couple of things. 1 - On a really, REALLY bad day I came here and posted. I got so much support. I probably ended up eating at least half of what I would have. The people here are amazing. 2 - The more I work out, eat healthy, and feel better about myself, the fewer bad days I have where I feel the need to emotionally eat. Hang in there. Oh...and keep healthy "naughty" snacks around. They can help!
  • PixieFire
    PixieFire Posts: 45
    Options
    I think Lucky has the right idea. When you feel stressed about something in particular you should post it. I also know from my own experience that sometimes it's hard to tell WHY I am eating. Am I really hungry? I realized not to long ago that when I feel lonely, I eat. I eat a LOT. I really have to check myself. When was the last time I ate? Is it possible I'm feeling some emotion I don't want to feel? I think you should keep a journal. If you find yourself eating or about to eat something you hadn't planned on, I would STOP, step AWAY FROM THE ICE CREAM, and start writing. Write anything. blah blah blah if you have to. I bet you will be surprised at what comes out. This is not easy, but i believe if you don't do this emotional work, you probably won't stay at your goal for long.

-Pixie
  • tig3rang3l
    tig3rang3l Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    well that's what we are here for! Get on the board, pour your heart out, and voila! stress relieved, no calories consumed!

best stress relievers:

1. exercise
    2. venting (sometimes known as ranting):laugh:
    3. cuddling (if-ya-know-what-I-mean):blushing:

and they are all calorie free!

Some even burn calories :drinker:
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Take all the food you think you are going to binge on out of your house. Stock up on healthy foods. Find something healthy you like to eat and keep it in the house. If you over eat it won't be as bad. Get on MFP and rant.

:heart: Kathy
  • ktthegr8
    ktthegr8 Posts: 479
    Options
    I totally am with you on this...I've had that problem on and off for a few years...the best thing that has helped me is to stay EXTRA busy, but most importantly, knowing my triggers for overeating and avoiding the kitchen at all costs durring that time. Also, give yourself 20 minutes. If you feel the urge to overeat, even intensely, wait 20 minutes. Go get some fresh air or talk to a friend. Wheather you eat or not, the urge passes.
    Good luck, you're not alone!
    We're in this together.
    -Olive Branch
    Before you take that 20, have a big ol' glass of water. You might just be thirsty. This works for me in the afternoon, when I eat out of boredom.
  • msmichael
    msmichael Posts: 21
    Options
    I am so glad I came here tonight- Thank you EVERYBODY! I feel so much better just letting it out and not keeping it a secret. I feel more in control. I did take several bits of info tonight and it helped me get thru tonight without binging so Thanks.....

172964.png
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you need that oral fix. Carrot stix, celery stix.. dont' worry about those cals... just something that's super low cal, good for you, and makes you chew, chew, chew...

Long term, you need to address the issues that make you binge eat and find another way to release that stress... but short term, just not blowing all your hard work is a major accomplishment!

In the beginning of this, I didn't even log the vegetable cals like that - carrots, celery, etc. I considered them "freebies" because they were good for you and low cal and because I felt I needed (emotionally) to eat more often. That has now changed to where I rarely feel the need to do that, and when I do, I do count those cals, because I feel so much better about myself, my life, and feel like I have more control over my life.