Have you had an Op for a hernia? How long till you could hit

Options
Hi

It looks like I may have a small hernia in my groin. My question is do you know how long it will be till I can get back to the gym to do cardio and weights?

Replies

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I used to work for surgeons who repaired hernias frequently. Recovery time is different for every hernia and every person. Small ones generally heal quicker than big ones, but it all depends. Your best bet is to talk with a surgeon to get information specific to your hernia.
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    The surgeon told me six weeks, but then at the 3 week check up signed my release to go back to work - as a CNA in a nursing home, lifting total-care, combative patients. He didn't even ask what kind of work I was going back to, and I needed the money so I went to work. Dumb doctor. Work did damage...

The gym is easier on a body than that, but still, I'd expect 4-6 weeks for recovery.
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I had a small one, they told me 4 weeks, I must admit I did not lift in the gym for more like 8 weeks, just wanted to be sure..

But I played golf and did gentle cardio after 4-5 weeks. I felt fine enough after two weeks, but I worked on the premise that it's better to take a few weeks off to recover 100% than to go through another surgery to repair something twice.
  • gemco
    gemco Posts: 129
    Options
    my brother had his pre-op for his hernia operation this week. they've told him 2 weeks off work and 4+weeks til exercising.
  • finabella
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your reply :)
  • Runningirl7284
    Runningirl7284 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I had a double hernia above my belly button. That was a rough recovery b/c you do not realize how often you use your abdominal muscles I literally had to roll off the bed when I needed to. I was jogging in 3-4 weeks I believe but waited 2 months or so for weights. Hernias can come back so I still take it easy with abdominal exercises (and this was 2 years ago) due to I now have a week abdominal wall. (They put a piece of mesh in there.)