Do you have a Diabetic Desert Recipe??

Options
HI
I'm haveing my husbands aunt over for dinner tonight and she is a Diabetic. I would like to do a nice dessert that she will be able to eat. If you have a recipe could you please share. Thanks Heaps

Replies

• CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    We used to make Sugar Free Cream Puffs for my grandmother. I'm sure Google has some recipes.

Good on you for catering to the aunt. :smile:
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Small creme puffs filled with sugar free pudding is always a winner. You would have to make them ahead of time though.
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    A really easy, and quick recipe is to get a premade graham cracker pie crust, a box of sugar free jello pudding of your choice, and pour the prepared pudding into the pie crust. Let it set, and top it with lite cool whip. We do this a lot when my father in law comes over, and his favorite is the sugar free butterscotch :)
  • finabella
    Options
    A really easy, and quick recipe is to get a premade graham cracker pie crust, a box of sugar free jello pudding of your choice, and pour the prepared pudding into the pie crust. Let it set, and top it with lite cool whip. We do this a lot when my father in law comes over, and his favorite is the sugar free butterscotch :)

I'm in Australia so we don't have Graham cracker pie crust can you reccomend another base to use in it's place?
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    Options
    hm..... any cookie would work, I assume..... vanilla wafers, oreos, ....or gingersnaps?
  • auctoritas
    Options
    You could try frozen clouds, which are a hit among the low-carb/diabetic community - http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/cream_cheese_clouds.html

Or a crustless pumpkin pie in light of the season - http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/crustless_pumpkin_pie.html
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    Options
    For a future dinner idea, my mother in law is a diabetic, and she absolutely loves it when I make meringues. Easy, but time consuming. :ohwell:
  • pcteck2
    pcteck2 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Angel Food cake mix.
    20 oz can of pineapple tidbits in their own juice
    Mix together.
    Bake in a bundt pan, tube pan, or 13 x 9 cake pan.
    Frost with sugar free cool whip.
    Delicious.
    Variation:
    Substitute a 14oz can of pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix) for the pineapple.
    This is truly delicious, low fat, low calorie.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Ok, coming from a Diabetic those crusts, creme puffs, etc are not the way to go.

They have grains in them that turn to sugar and depending on how sensitive her body is can significantly raise insulin levels.

Best to stick with no sugar, no grain recipes.

Here is what I am making for myself for tomorrow:

Ingredients

1 - 14 oz canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix) – or fresh if you feel so inspired
    1 Tbsp. cinnamon
    1/2 tsp ground ginger
    ½ tsp Celtic sea salt
    ½ tsp grated nutmeg
    ¼ tsp cloves
    3 eggs
    ¼ C raw honey or 2 Tbsp maple syrup (optional – adjust the sweetness to taste)
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1 400 ml tin Organic Classic coconut milk (full fat)

Preparation

Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.

Set a pot of water on to boil (enough water to fill the baking pan as directed below).

Combine pumpkin and all spices in one bowl.

In a smaller bowl, beat the eggs lightly then whisk in the maple syrup, vanilla and coconut milk.

Whisk the egg mixture into the pumpkin mixture until well combined.

Pour the custard into 6 - 1/2 cup ramekins (small Pyrex cups). Place the ramekins in a baking pan and add enough boiling water to the dish to come up 2" high around the ramekins. Carefully place in the oven and bake for 60 - 70 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center of the custard comes out clean.

Serve warm or chilled. Serves 6.
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    >>>Ok, coming from a Diabetic those crusts, creme puffs, etc are not the way to go.

They have grains in them that turn to sugar and depending on how sensitive her body is can significantly raise insulin levels.

Best to stick with no sugar, no grain recipes.<<<<

Sorry for the misinformation. You would know better than I. I just suggested creme puffs as they are what one of my diabetic friends eats occasionally. I don't have any personal experience with diabetes, so scratch the bad info. What you said makes perfect sense. I wondered about the suggestions for the crusts too. The info you gave is good to know for the future. Thanks.
  • willaful
    willaful Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Creme puffs are actually relatively low carb as starches go, because a large percentage of them is egg. I no long eat sugar but I do enjoy savory puffs made with cheese on occasion. I think I've also used white whole wheat flour to improve their nutritional value.
  • willaful
    willaful Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    A good option for a low-carb crust is almond meal.
  • Leslie4834
    Leslie4834 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm a diabetic we usually make a sugar free cheesecake with no crust. It is very good and yummy and will usually not spike my blood sugar.