HCG Injections

Options
I'm sure there are plenty of convos out there on this, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask again. My sister just went to the doctor to begin the 21 day regimen of the HCG diet and injections. I'm a bit skeptical, but her best friend lost 22 lbs doing the same thing.

I know most people out there (probably including me) would say that this method is unhealthy. But I'm wondering if there's anyone out there who has done the injections? Any personal stories?

I'm not talking about drops or supplements, but only the doctor prescribed injections.

Replies

• darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I know of people who have done, lost weight while doing it (how could you not only eating 500 calories a day?), and then gained every single bit back, and then some.
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    My sister did the injections and just like the above poster stated, lost weight and then quickly regained it back. I do know plenty of people who have lost 22 pounds through healthy diet though.
  • moe5474
    moe5474 Posts: 162
    Options
    I know of people who have done, lost weight while doing it (how could you not only eating 500 calories a day?), and then gained every single bit back, and then some.

This is what I tried to tell my sister.......just wanted to see if there was anyone out there who did the injections and KEPT the weight off. I'm skeptical if I'll find any so I figured I'd post.
  • Jfearn64
    Jfearn64 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Several people where I work have taken the injections and lost LOTS of weight and have kept it off for over a year. Not something I would try, dosn't seem healthy to me. The people who used it I would say were obese when they started, so 500 calories a day I am sure was 5000 less than they were eating...so sure they were going to lose. Again not something I would entertain, but the people I know have kept their weight off so far.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I know a few people who have. They ALL became angry with me when I said they were ****ing retarded for doing so. They all had bad reactions... Hair falling out, fingernails breaking, fainting spells. They all admitted it was the wrong thing to do.
  • KXanthos
    KXanthos Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I just don't get how anyone can survive on 500 calories per day without destroying their metabolism. Not to mention that a diet of melba toast and a few other things every single day sounds incredibly boring. I think I'd blow it and binge if I were restircted to that kind of diet.
  • Jfearn64
    Jfearn64 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I know a few people who have. They ALL became angry with me when I said they were ****ing retarded for doing so. They all had bad reactions... Hair falling out, fingernails breaking, fainting spells. They all admitted it was the wrong thing to do.

Retarted is an ignorant word. The term is used to tease and belittle less fortunate and mentally handicapped people who did not chose to be born the way they are. We should strive to be respectful of other people's feelings as well as their children who may have been born with different abilities.
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    My sis in law did it and lost lots of weight. But once she stopped she is currently gaining it ALL back and probably more. A few of the girls at work have had the same issues of losing hair and breaking finger nails and stuff..,.... Not only that they lost alot of weight but were very flabby.
  • drp4
    drp4 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi, Yes I am on that plan and so far I lost 13 lbs. I feel very happy and healthy and eat anywhere from 500-1000 per day but mostly try to stay around the 500 calorie area.... I also have learned to do that with 2 children while cooking for the three of us every night. I too was very skeptical but quite honestly if I was not gestational diabetic I would never be able to give myself shots every day. But because I was accustomed to giving myself shots 3 -4 times a day, once a day is nothing. I am currently on maintenance and will restart my shots on Monday after Thanksgiving. You are not supposed to lose during maintenance you are only to maintain for two weeks and then start again. I have a lot of friends that lost over 50 lbs on this in a 2-3 month span and so far kept it off. I tried taking the drops for a week which also worked I think it lost 7 pounds but it was short lived when I dropped the bottle and had to go off of it because I did not have anymore.. lol

I think when you set your mind to anything it will work. You have to really want it for it to work. I also would like to add that I do this under the care of a physician.

Deb
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    My hubby did it, but he went straight from injections to boot camp. It's been 6 months and he keeps getting skinner-- we'll see what happens when he isn't on a prescribed diet/exercise regimen. I watched him do it and I know that I couldn't. :)
  • petes58
    petes58 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Here's a decent article on it: http://www.dietscam.org/reports/hcg.shtml

I've dealt with folks who run these clinics from the other side of the fence (the medical side), and I strongly recommend all not to consider doing this. It's a scam, pure and simple.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    My aunt and uncle actually did the injections at a "doctor's" office. They were moody and rude. They did lose quite a bit of weight. They were bragging that they could eat whatever they wanted with the injections. Not sure why they weren't strict on the 500 calorie diet.

I'm sure they will gain it back.. they are yo yo dieters all the time. It never stops for them. Oh yeah, and they looked lik ea balloon that lost its air.
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    The HCG diet is a horrible 500 calorie a day starvation diet plan. And doing it under a so-called doctor's care does not change the fact that there is absolutely NO scientific evidence that HCG does anything for weight loss, or that taking HCG in any form will make it safe to eat only 500 calories a day.

I wish the FDA would take some action on this dangerous diet scam and get ALL the HCG diet stuff off the market and close down all the so-called medical weight loss clinics that push it.

Here are a some links, for those who wish to read more about it.

http://www.myhealthnewsdaily.com/hcg-diet-dangerous-1428

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hcg-diet/AN02091

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/truth-about-hcg-for-weight-loss

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/weight-loss-cure-dont-want-you-to-know

http://www.dietscam.org/reports/hcg.shtml

http://www.tucsonmedical.com/pages/hcg.php
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    For anyone reading this who is doing HCG, please, please at least take a break and allow yourself at least a few months of normal eating between "rounds." One way the scam HCG weight loss clinics make big money is by encouraging people to do more than one round with only a short break in between -- which is not enough time for them to realize that the weight they lost is going to come right back again as soon as they start eating normally -- even if the food they eat is healthy and they exercise.

The HCG starvation diet eating DOES mess up people's metabolism. It makes it WORSE, not better because of the 500 calorie a day starvation the HCG protocol, written by that quack "Dr" Simeons, told people to eat on the plan. Eating too few calories for an extended period makes your body hold onto more fat than ever so you can survive the next famine. And no amonut of HCG or HCG seller propaganda will change that fact!

So please, please, please, if you are going to take this approach, at least make the so-called weight loss doctors wait until you have time to see what the results from one round are before they have you injecting yourself with more hormone shots and eating at starvation level for several weeks!!!!

Your long term health is at risk!