Food Problems

Options
Hello everyone. I am having a problem with this whole food thing. When I work out I don't eat nearly enough and Im working out 4 to 5 times a week and when I don't work out then Im eating right at the caloire count that MFP has set for me. I really think that this should be reversed. Is there any one that has some suggetions for me?

Replies

• hhorncastle
    hhorncastle Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    So, why aren't you eating enough when you work out? Are you just not hungry, or what's the issue? Because my knee jerk reaction is.. "Well, then eat more!" I know there's a lot of debate on here about whether or not one should eat back one's exercise calories. Is that it? You're getting extra calories on days you exercise but not eating them because you're not hungry? If you don't mind me asking, have you been seeing losses so far? If you're happy with your progress, don't stress over the food thing.

ETA: Just creeped your profile. You've lost 26 lbs since October? Girl! You're kicking *kitten*. Whatever you're doing, it's working!
  • 1girlcook
    1girlcook Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I found the same thing. But I found if I keep the working out to 20-30 minutes a day it seems to be a happy medium:)
  • Bullygirl30
    Options
    Im not that hungry when I work out. I get what I need to get by but when I don't work out then it's like I'm hungry all the time. I have lost 26 pounds so far. I lost 10 pounds before I joined and then Have lost 16 on here. I don't want this to be that habit that I fall into. I try not to eat as much when I don't go the gym but I stress and eat more.
  • bigwildonion
    bigwildonion Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You need enough fuel in your body to build muscle and recover from exercise, so the recommendations here are solid. Is exercise taking up the time you would normally prepare food? Are you looking for healthy snacks?

My plan for those days is to have some veggie strips and hummus stashed at work so I can have a late afternoon nosh before I go to the gym. This works well for me, because I like veggies & hummus, but not so much that I will binge on it and mess up my calorie count.
  • hhorncastle
    hhorncastle Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hm. I definitely get hungrier on days when I work out, so I'm afraid I won't be of much help but here what I tend to do, for what it's worth: I make sure I eat before I go to the gym and I pack a snack in my gym bag to eat in the car on my way home. Then lunch, more snacks, supper, etc. If you're not that hungry, what about a smoothie or a protein drink?

I'm sure someone wiser than me will have better advice for you. Best of luck with your journey and congratulations on your success so far. I know it's hard, but try not to stress. You're doing it!
  • Bullygirl30
    Options
    Thank you. I am determined to get down to what I was and then some.
  • Bullygirl30
    Options
    I have some crakers but for 6 it's 160 caloires. What is Humus? I have never heard of it.
  • fallenangelloves
    fallenangelloves Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I find I. A little hungrier when I work out, but I mainly do it so I can eat a dessert... A glass of wine and dark chocolate (which is heart healthy) or a piece of a healthy pumpkin spice bundt cake I made... If I don't eat back my calories, my weight stalls.... So when I work out I indulge in a little higher calorie stack. So it's not that I'm at much hungrier, I just eat a little better!
  • wo1wendy
    wo1wendy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I use Special K Crackers a serving is 24 crackers at 120 calories. the Multi grain ones are very sweet to help with the sugar craving. when I want a little more I use a serving of hummus (any flavor you like) which is a chick pea paste/dip/spread that goes very well with crackers or pretzel
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Relax! Your body maybe a little shocked if this is a sudden change to your routine, I'm sure it will settle down a bit in a few weeks! :smile: