How to stay fit when lactose intolerant & have IBS

Options
Since 5 years ago, I've been lactose intolerant. It's been a fighitng battle and hard to keep healthy while missing sources of foods I need. Overtime I've learned how to deal with a lot of it being I am highly allergic.

A month ago I was diagnosed with IBS. The process is grueling and you never know how your stomachs going to react to anything. I find myself bloated and fluctuating CONSTANTLY. I can't say I have it easy, but who really does? When doing ab exercises, it bothers my stomach and sometimes I have to stop. I have tried not to work on my abs as much as I used to due to this IBS situtation. I run 4 times a week, usually 2 miles and I'm always doing my 8lb dumbbells. I just started doing lunges and squats, but its still a battle.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• awkwwward
    Options
    Well, I follow a vegan diet and have mild IBS so this kinda falls on the same level. My main source of exercise is yoga and running. Neither of them piss off my belly too much and I just make sure I'm hitting all my needs (contrary to media belief, you can hit ALL of your nutrition needs easily, yummy-ly and affordably on a vegan diet!). Good luck! Even walking can make a big difference (it helps my IBS sometimes too...).
  • Tiffany919
    Tiffany919 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    i have the same issues, except i'm doing better these days and can workout fine. i'm not intolerant to all dairy, but definitely milk (garlic and mayo too which sucks). my doc said i have classic IBS symptoms and just to avoid the things that upset my stomach.
    the thing that really made it bad for me was stress. now i'm at a different job and i rarely have issues. other things that have helped - i drink at least 64oz of water a day, get enough fiber (try for about 20g a day, or even just an apple a day really helps), but don't eat too much fruit (there was a time i was making shakes with so much fruit/veggies that it was killing my stomach) and i buy aloe vera gel/juice from the store (the kind you can ingest) and it helps a lot. about 2 to 4oz of aloe gel a day. these things have worked for me and kept me happy. good luck to you. i feel your pain.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I have had a severe dairy reaction (and I mean severe, I consider it an allergy and not just intolerance it is so bad at times) for a few years now. I actually find this has helped me in my weight loss goal as I can no longer even attempt to eat ice cream, chocolate, fatty cheeses, etc.

To compensate I ensure to consume leafy green veggies, nuts or natural peanut butter (brazil nuts are the highest in calcium), and take a calcium/Vitamin D suppliment each day.

On top of this I have always had a "funny" stomach, which I now know is IBS. I cannot easily eat anything fried, fatty, or too rich as a result or I have the same symptoms as you.

When Im in a bad phase I just walk, or walk on my treadmill with the incline up for a bit more fat burning workout. I avoid anything to vigorous. I am still able to lose each week, even if I am not exercising much by keeping a strict eye on my calorie intake. If I do not exercise or walk lightly I ONLY consume my 1200 calories that day. If I am able to exercise more I just up my calories a bit to compensate.

I can still get in a good workout a number of times per week typically as I eat VERY clean so my IBS does not act up as much living this way.
  • mcanavan05
    mcanavan05 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    following
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Have you seen a GI Dr.? I was diagnosed with both lactose intolerance and IBS, turns out I really have Celiac Disease. I've read several journal articles (reputable sources) that say a lot of Celiac's are misdiagnosed with IBS. I suffered for 18 years until I ended up in the ER. If you haven't already seen one I would suggest going to a GI Dr. They can test you for the antibodies as well as tell you what kind of diet will work for you (if it's not Celiac's).

I will say when I was going under the impression of IBS I did the best when I stopped eating highly processed foods, fried foods, and high fat foods. Best of luck!
  • EngiAli
    EngiAli Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who suffered terribly for years with the same. She recently switched to a Paleo diet with incredible success in eliminating her symptoms. There is lots of info out their about Paleo diets, it is very restrictive but to her is worth feeling normal (no grains, legumes, dairy, sugar or processed food).
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    It's all about calories in vs calories out. Neither of which applies to lactose intolerance or IBS. Quite simply, you are making excuses.

Sorry to be harsh. I have/had both as well. I've found a way to manage both and lose a crap ton of weight. What I've found is that my lactose intolerance and my IBS have gotten substantially better as I've lost the weight. I can actually eat some dairy now with zero effect on my stomach and I rarely have IBS symptoms anymore either.
  • skindeepp
    Options
    I did actually go to a GI. I've gotten tested for all the effects via blood and only have inflammation, not celiac. But thanks for the input so much ! Greatly appreciated
  • calderst
    calderst Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    When doing ab exercises, it bothers my stomach and sometimes I have to stop. I have tried not to work on my abs as much as I used to due to this IBS situtation. I run 4 times a week, usually 2 miles and I'm always doing my 8lb dumbbells. I just started doing lunges and squats, but its still a battle.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I have IBS/Spastic colon... no fun! Often the impact from running will wreak havoc but I find a bathroom then continue on. You can't let it stop you from doing what you want to do! That's why they put several porta-potties along marathon routes!

What kind of stuff do you do with the dumbbells? If you're wanting to tone, I would highly recommend doing heavier, large muscle group exercises. If you don't have access to weights, at least try to add in some push-ups because they will do wonders for your upper body.

As far as ab stuff, I sometimes can't work my core for the same reason... it gets swollen and painful and I worry about making it worse. I don't know what ab work you do, but crunches are not the answer. If you aren't already, you might try adding in planks, since they strengthen while staying extended.

And if you haven't already, invest in a good heating pad. When I'm having a really bad tummy day, the heat helps soothe it like it does for menstrual cramps.

Oh, one more thing... as you're tracking your food, you may also consider tracking your symptoms. This is how I figured out many of my trigger foods.