Medication making this hard!

Options
Ok so I am really in desperate need of some help!!! I started a new medicine about 2 weeks ago for my depression. Problem is, one of the side effects is increase in appetite and boy has it hit me hard! I'm constantly "cheating" and even binging at night time. I need help!!! For some reason I just dont have the self discipline to tell myself no :'( any suggestions?

Happy now?

Replies

• sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I would really not post my phone number on a public forum. Good luck making new friends, but maybe try screening them before inviting them to call?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    hey I have been on the prednisone roller coaster and I know what you mean. Try to restrict your snacking low calorie options like fresh veggies. I also like unsalted almonds for healthy fat without the sodium and greek yogurt for the protein. Good luck, and maybe talk to your doctor about a switch in meds if the effects don't stabilize soon.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    (and if I were you I wouldn't post a phone number on a public forum-- it's not really safe.)
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
  • ABeautifulDistraction
    Options
    I take Prozac and it hasn't effected my appetite. It also does a great job with my depression/anxiety attacks.
  • petes58
    petes58 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Exercise is one of the best treatments for depression -- and it helps you lose weight too! So if you can, embrace this so it can help kill two birds with one stone. I also strongly urge you to remove your phone number. You have no idea who or what nut might see it.
  • karenhs2
    karenhs2 Posts: 197
    Options
    Ok so I am really in desperate need of some help!!! I started a new medicine about 2 weeks ago for my depression. Problem is, one of the side effects is increase in appetite and boy has it hit me hard! I'm constantly "cheating" and even binging at night time. I need help!!! For some reason I just dont have the self discipline to tell myself no :'( any suggestions? and I could use a texting buddy in times of distress lol Thanks!!!

A year on zoloft is where 50 of my extra lbs came from. Talk to your doctor!!! They may be able to change to something else. I didn't realize that the medication was responsible until I was already fat. (in certain people, some SSRIs interfere with the hormone leptin which is one of the appetite regulators and you eat and eat and never feel full. All the self discipline in the world won't win out over a body that thinks it is starving). Hopefully your doctor can find a med that helps the depression without that particular side effect.
  • Sarah418
    Sarah418 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing a great job!
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    DAMMIT I thought this was going to be a super-helpful ED thread!
  • stephaniesard89
    Options
    If I can figure out how to remove it I will, although it's just a number not like a social security number but anyway :) .... my problem is that I'm not even hungry when I eat! I'm just eating to eat and I literally feel like I have no control. I have tried a ton of medicines and this is the only one that seems to work for me. Just sucks the side effects are what they are.
  • stephaniesard89
    Options
    I take Prozac and it hasn't effected my appetite. It also does a great job with my depression/anxiety attacks.

Prozac didn't work for me :(
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You have about an hour to go to your original post and click edit, near where you clicked reply to post again in the thread.

Remove the info you don't want and profit.
  • stephaniesard89
    Options
    Oh come on! Are you guys her Mom? If she wants to put her phone # on the forum, thats her choice. Got to love the "know-it-alls"!

THANK YOU!!! My thoughts exactly!
  • stephaniesard89
    Options
    Ok so I am really in desperate need of some help!!! I started a new medicine about 2 weeks ago for my depression. Problem is, one of the side effects is increase in appetite and boy has it hit me hard! I'm constantly "cheating" and even binging at night time. I need help!!! For some reason I just dont have the self discipline to tell myself no :'( any suggestions? and I could use a texting buddy in times of distress lol Thanks!!!

A year on zoloft is where 50 of my extra lbs came from. Talk to your doctor!!! They may be able to change to something else. I didn't realize that the medication was responsible until I was already fat. (in certain people, some SSRIs interfere with the hormone leptin which is one of the appetite regulators and you eat and eat and never feel full. All the self discipline in the world won't win out over a body that thinks it is starving). Hopefully your doctor can find a med that helps the depression without that particular side effect.

Well I just got on this med and already seems to be helping! So I definitely don't want to switch but if I have to then I will! None of the SSRI's worked for me, so I'm on lithium.
  • sunkisses
    Options
    Oh come on! Are you guys her Mom? If she wants to put her phone # on the forum, thats her choice. Got to love the "know-it-alls"!
    ....yeah, 'cause you'd have to be someone's mom to think about their safety. Your post is almost ironic. Almost.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I thought I would give you some friendly advice because you might be less-than-internet-savvy and not realize the ramifications. But feel free to make unwise decisions for yourself and not appreciate advice from people who care about your welfare. I certainly won't waste my time with this any further.
  • sunkisses
    Options

Maybe you both need to read the guidelines of the site.

7. . Do Not Publish Private Contact Information

For your safety, do not post personal information such as telephone numbers, emails, mailing addresses, instant messenger ids, etc.
  • petes58
    petes58 Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Maybe you both need to read the guidelines of the site.

7. . Do Not Publish Private Contact Information

For your safety, do not post personal information such as telephone numbers, emails, mailing addresses, instant messenger ids, etc.

Amen.

Maybe I'm assuming too much, but I'll bet that the original poster is not all that familiar with posting in a forum online and probably doesn't realize the very real risk that posting personal information poses. I'm not going to lose any sleep making my recommendations above for her to delete the information.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    From bits and pieces that you post in various places a lot can be "figured" about you, area code narrows down geographic region, 3 digit prefix is a city/ regional number within that zone...

my personal username is different on this site than on any other website that I frequent, the picture used here is not used anywhere else, what I post about is different here, without getting into site logs etc there's not much that should be able to be pieced together to make an id for me, but there's lots of posters on a LOT of forums who include name and most likely birth year in their username which narrows it down that much farther...
  • stephaniesard89
    Options
    I am new and I deleted it, now can we please move on to the reason I posted.