I am SO tired...

Options
I have a pretty physical job at work - I clean post-construction houses, so I pretty much have to clean every inch of the home, which of course is covered in construction debris - top to bottom. I work anywhere from a measly 4 up to 10 hours per day, but I'm lucky that I am fast and efficient enough of a cleaner to only work 6-7 hours on average. I do piece work, so speed is the name of the game with this job.

Buuut...I really need to get back to the gym. I've been working this job for over 3 months now, and I do break a sweat most days but otherwise I feel pretty used to it on a physical level...or am I?

I feel great right after finishing my last home for the day, like I could conquer the whole world (I love this part about my job) and I come home and walk the dogs and whip the house into shape while I'm still in cleaner mode and then have the second part of my lunch or a snack - then BAM! I have hit a wall and just CAN'T WAIT to crawl into bed. It's 5:45pm now, and I am so so so ready for bed. I wanted to go to the gym tonight after dinner but I am truly just ready to sleep and I still have to make/have dinner which seems overwhelming on its own, let alone hitting the gym and showering after.

I was in bed at 8:30 yesterday and slept very heavily through til 6:30! So I'm definitely not lacking in sleep, or water (I chug ALL day) nor food or nutrition - I eat ALL day haha.

I know that exercising is said to help increase energy but...really?! Even though I'm already working up a sweat all day? Where is the residual energy from that?

I would like to go straight to the gym from work, but I do have my dogs to let out for a walk and I am covered in construction dust so I have to have a quick shower off so those are the first 2 things I do. Plus I'm starving and it's snack/lunch time! This seems to be when I get tired, RIGHT after my lunch/snack. And it's a smallish (depending on my hunger) and very healthy meal.

Why am I so tired from the time I get my post-work meal in, and fighting to keep my eyes open even though the rest of the evening? And how do I haul my *kitten* to the gym with feeling so tired? Do you really think it will help increase my energy levels despite all the work I do during the day?

Replies

• Miss_ladyp
    Options
    I'm definitely not an expert, but I feel as though you are getting in a pretty good work out at work. A physically demanding job is expected to make one tired. I would suggest wearing a pedometer to count your steps. Then convert those steps into how many calories you are burning while at work.

If you find that your step count isn't as much exercise as you need or want you can incorporate that dog walk or a light exercise after your snack. Switch it up and give yourself days to just rest. Good luck.
  • MissMollieK
    MissMollieK Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous post. I would also suggest taking a vacation and resting up a bit. Sounds like you may be hitting a peak and needing to back off a bit. I know when my body starts telling me to slow down- I either need to listen or I am going to face harder issues later on...Just some thoughts....
  • deucesarewild1
    deucesarewild1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks...it's actually that I'm gaining weight (gaining fat AND losing muscle definition double whammy) since putting a hold on working out when I first started the job. The job has gotten easier as well so I figured time to start working out again.

I did go to the gym today and woke up once I got moving off the couch and feel great now. I'm going to sleep better than I have in many months! I do think though that my focus will be on strength rather than cardio - figure I get enough of that at work.

edit to add re: pedometer - I used a pedometer and there is no way it translates properly into calories burned for my job. I do a lot, lot, lot, of movements that don't require me to actually take any steps so I find it to be way off in relation to my exertion. Hoping for a heart rate monitor in the next few months to see how far off.