Exercising before bed?

Options
Is it okay? Will it still be just as good for you?

I don't have time during the day, so I have been trying to do the majority of exercising at night, like after I finish eating at about 6PM. I get ready to exercise after doing a few other things and then I start at around 8PM. I usually go until about 10PM and then I shower and sleep. I do mainly aerobic exercising in my room lately. I do walk about 30 minutes a day. But my exercises are on my Wii. I can't believe how few calories some of the things burn for the amount I sweat. But it's okay, it just means do more.

I burned 333 calories between walking and the Wii so far. I might burn more before I sleep. I have yet to play DDR today.

Also, I tried as hard as I could to eat the calories I needed today... I just couldn't. Sorry. But I will work on burning them since I can't eat any. They say you have to eat to lose weight, but I have trouble doing that.

I don't think that's a problem seeing how I weigh damn close to 200 pounds.

Replies

• rochey1098
    Options
    if it doesn't keep you awake all night then go for it ^^
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    ya i would be awake, dont worry about the cal, as long as you dont drop too many days below 1200
  • KenziesMomma11
    KenziesMomma11 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I find that at night is best for me too. I have an 8 month old and also babysit a 10 month old...they keep me pretty busy during the day :)

I actually just finished on my elliptical too :D
  • kmboffice88
    Options
    I feel like whether you exercise at 5am or 8pm it does not matter, as long as you do it! :) Get it girl!

Also, I saw a picture of a friend who just went to a gaming convention playing DDR, and I wondered how much you burn! I bet a lot. I might need to go find my mats!!
  • chipmunk70
    chipmunk70 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Apparently I read somewhere (can't remember where now) that doing at least 20 mins of exercise before going to bed is good for you and burns more calories.

As soon as you go to bed and sleep, your metabolism slows right down, however if you have done 20 mins of exercise, your metabolism will be going faster, and therefore will take longer to slow down, therefore despite being asleep you will be burning more calories, as your metabolism will be gradually slowing down.

Cath
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Good question. I usually can't start exercising until after 8pm either. I wonder what others think.
  • mary_kate23
    Options
    i don't see a problem with it, unless you're like me and do that for the first time yesterday, then not be able to sleep at all during the night.
  • Lizchan
    Lizchan Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I feel like whether you exercise at 5am or 8pm it does not matter, as long as you do it! :) Get it girl!

Also, I saw a picture of a friend who just went to a gaming convention playing DDR, and I wondered how much you burn! I bet a lot. I might need to go find my mats!!

You burn LOADS of calories with DDR. I know this first hand. You will sweat if you're a fat cow like I am.
  • HugznKiki
    HugznKiki Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    It gives me too much energy and I'm wired so I can't do it..but if it works for you, go for it!
  • StacyB150
    StacyB150 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I exercise around 7 at night too. Its the only rime I can. Plus its a great stress release at the end of the day.
  • Amberetta82
    Amberetta82 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    It's funny... When I exercise during the day I always seem to need a nap. The one time I exercised at night... I was up ALL NIGHT!! I just didn't get why. Oh, one problem I had with exercising at night, do it before midnight because if you bridge between two days its confusing to log LOL!!
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I have done it in the morning, afternoon and evening, Right now based on schedule, I go right from work at 6pm. I am usually done around 8pm, then I go home for relax time. I found if I go home to eat then it keeps me up, so I have a protein shake before I leave work. As long as it doesn't keep you up, I see no problem at all.
  • Lizchan
    Lizchan Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I exercise around 7 at night too. Its the only rime I can. Plus its a great stress release at the end of the day.

I heard that. LoL
    I am always highly stressed. Mainly about my weight at the moment... and one other thing that I don't feel I should mention here.
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I do my best exercise before bed. Just make sure your dinner is early enough that you aren't exercising right after a big meal. I love it!!! If I had to get out of bed at six to exercise I just wouldn't do it at all. Besides, in the morning my muscles are tight and cold and I feel dehydrated and hungry. If you really want a double metabolic whammy they say to get it in twice a day. I only do that on my days off though. Don't worry too much about what the wii says for your calories. I just played kinect for an hour and it said I burned 120 in total. HRM said a lot more like 370. Make sure you are doing something while stuff loads or while it does other stupid stuff. Jumping jacks are good.

Good luck and don't stress. Just keep working toward mini goals. And feel great that you are doing this for yourself. I know a lot of people who are out of shape or overweight, and they just don't care. You can do this!
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Evening works best for me too. I didn't get out for my walk until 8:30 tonight. My alarm goes off at 5 a.m., and I don't have any problems with sleeping from working out late.
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    I exercise in both the morning and evening

Morning at 5:30am to do weight training and nights I do cardio and If i am feeling good, I do heaps of Sit ups and Push ups.. I just love the feeling of exercise!
  • fatgirlslimagain
    fatgirlslimagain Posts: 51 Member
    Options

You burn LOADS of calories with DDR. I know this first hand. You will sweat if you're a fat cow like I am.

Please don't call yourself a fat cow. To me you look great regardless of your size and besides part of the process of losing weight is learing to be more nurturing and loving to yourself on all levels. We change our mental mindset before our bodies follow.

PS BTW what is DDR? LOL
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I just exercised at 10pm. Heading to be soon. Sometimes it keeps me awake for a while, sometimes it doesn't. But I figure being up a bit longer is worth getting a workout in!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I think it's a personal thing, you can only try it and see how it affects you.

For me, I'm better exercising in the morning. It fits better with my schedule and I usually find it give me lots of energy for the day (except for this morning, it was much hotter out than I thought, I'm going to have to start taking water with me, even on shorter runs).
    And I don't have time to think of excuses not to exercise like I do later in the day!

But, if working out in the evening fits into your day, go for it, it will be just as beneficial as exercising any other time.