I NEVER thought I could do this!

Options
Annie5859
Annie5859 Posts: 280 Member
How can I describe cold winter weather for those of you who have never experienced it…when you step outside and take your first breath, it feels as though your lungs are shrinking. After about a minute, your nose starts to run, and your mitten becomes a ready-made tissue. Sometimes your eyelashes will freeze to your upper lids, which then takes a quick mitt rub (with the other mitt of course) and a few fast blinks to warm things up again. Fingers, toes and cheeks become numb within minutes and if you ever experienced this, you know the ever importance of slowly warming up cold appendages. If you do it too quick (like run them under warm water) they start to itch and hurt like you’ve never felt before.

Yes, Canadian winter is not for the faint of heart. You must be hearty and tough out there – but most importantly, dress for the weather and that is exactly what I did when I ran the other night in the 8km Sight Night Run. I am proud to say it took me 1 hour and 2 minutes to conquer this feat. This is the farthest distance I’ve run in a race thus far.

What I’ve learned from this experience is that I truly and do ANYTHING I set my mind to. My goals and aspirations are LIMITLESS.

380921_2662598087045_1318748792_33015860_614419953_n.jpg

Replies

• jesseBYAH
    jesseBYAH Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    This is AWESOME! So happy for you! I am a Minnesotan so I understand what you mean about that weather. I am impressed! I want to start running outside but I am scared to, it is getting cooooold! Awesome job :)
  • CanToGirl
    CanToGirl Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I live in WI and I know what you mean about cold winters.
    Congratulations on your success. Awesome story!!
  • cookies4me2
    Options
    Congratulations for completing the run!! that is something to be proud of for sure.
  • Mybabie
    Mybabie Posts: 239
    Options
    :smile: I live in Edmonton so I know what you mean about the cold. And congratulations on your run.
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Minnesotan and understand the cold weather. What you accomplished is amazing.
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! I'm not ashamed to admit that I'd have never done it. It hit 60 here and started raining more often and I joined a gym:)
  • ProudMomoftwo
    Options
    Wow Annie that is an amazing accomplishment!!

The lowest temps I have run in are the 30's...so far.
    That was chilly enough but it will be getting chillier!
  • lorika1977
    lorika1977 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Great job Annie! I live in northern IL, about 30 min away from Wisconsin and we get pretty heafty winters here too. Not yet, it is still in the 40s here, but soon I am sure. Awesome run! What's next for you? Maybe a 10k? Half marathon?
    You can do it!
  • Cosmic_Unicorn
    Cosmic_Unicorn Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I live in Alberta and I don't exercise outdoors in the winter. Or the spring. Or the summer, because then it's too hot. You sure beat me!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!