Help! Do you exercise when sick or starting to get sick?

Options
I think I might be getting a stupid cold. I haven't had one in ages but I have a sore throat and I feel achy and I am am breaking out in a rash on my shoulders and chest. I have a 5k to walk on Thursday and I am worried now I might be too sick by then. Today is the first day I have had any symptoms and if it gets no worse than this I can handle it. My question is when you are sick should you power through and do your workouts or do you avoid it? I am a nurse and I don't even know the answer to this! lol

I actually see reasons to do it and not to do it. Curious as to what others think about this. Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Well, personally, I learned my lesson in a very painful way last month, lol. No more exercising when sick for me.
  • SandyEdge
    SandyEdge Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I usually rest and let my body get better first.
  • jlcampbell2008
    Options
    I do not exercise when I am ill. I usually get really nasty upper respiratory infections (URI) though which limit my air flow capacity. I was sick with the stomach bug last week which was promptly followed by a URI and I tried working out this morning and I started to sweat much faster than I usually do, so I know I'm still recovering.

Load up on Vitamin C and Zinc and rest. You can always get back on track when your body is not fighting an infection.
  • buddy529
    buddy529 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I like to rest, especially since I do most of my workouts at the gym and I don't want to get anyone else sick or spread my germs when I'm using the machines.
  • fitjunk
    fitjunk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Im getting a cold/sore throat and I just finished working out, feeling better! I guess it depends on how sick you are and what you have. Sometimes our bodies need the rest other times we just suck it up and work through it. Hope you feel better.
  • annejuju
    annejuju Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I've heard if it's just head symptoms you can go ahead, but if it goes below the neck take it off. If you aren't feeling well you should definitely rest over-stressing your body won't help you get better.
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I honestly keep working out unless I am can't go to work, don't feel like eating sick. I have had the little tickle in the throat and kept up my routine and its gone. *knock on wood* I haven't been sick since March when strep ran rampant in the school I work in and I didn't even have a fever from it. Just the awful throat!
  • chicago_dad
    Options
    I follow the questionable advice of my old crew coach: always exercise unless it's in your lungs or you have a fever.
  • essjay75
    essjay75 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I suck it up for a day or two but after that( and many sinus rinses and vitamin drinks) I'll give in. It's amazing what I can work through when I think I'm toast and an hour later feel amazing.
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I esp do not do cardio when ill, but weights is fine and I actually feel better for it.
    lots of protein, lots of water/fluids

hope you feel better
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    My theory is if I would go to work I should be able to workout.
  • brocantrs
    brocantrs Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Your body needs rest when you are ill.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    You should rest and you should stay home so you don't get someone else sick. I am sure everyone would appreciate it because no one wants to be around someone who is hacking and sniffling due to a cold.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I follow the questionable advice of my old crew coach: always exercise unless it's in your lungs or you have a fever.

Your old crew coach was a smart man. This issue has actually been studied. It's perfectly safe to exercise with a head cold, and it won't prolong the course of the cold at all.
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I think the general rule is from the neck up, exercise is good. From the neck down, take a rest. Personally, when I feel ill I think it's best to sweat it out. I really haven't been sick since I have started working out 4-5 days a week.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I've had a sore throat all week, I've felt achy and haven't missed a workout yet. However, I just slowed it down, I did yoga and stretching and tai chi instead. I have always felt better afterwards.
  • aklitten
    aklitten Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    So what about a lack of energy? I'm on day 2 of what feels like a sinus issue and I feel like I can hardly stay awake....should I suck it up and get on my bike for 20 minutes, even though I wonder if I can play outside with the dog for 10 without keeling over?
  • clucklucky
    clucklucky Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I find working out if I'm just on the cusp of getting sick usually makes me feel better - in fact, since I've been working out regularly I can't remember the last time I got sick (going on a couple of years now!) so I tend to think of it as a bit of an immune system boost. However, I also believe in listening to your body, and knowing what you're coming down with: head cold, get out there! Full body chills/fever/flu symptoms? No way.