Frustration...

Options
I'm going to say a small rant and then keep my mouth shut, because I'm seeing a lot of it and it bothers me.

Every once in a while, I eat crap. Chemically processed, totally terrible, cancer causing crap. I don't need to be pounced on, and I'm tired of watching everyone else being pounced on, every time it's mentioned.

I understand it's bad for me, just like I understand cellphone use is bad for me, and TV, and my allergy medication.

There are a lot of things out there that are bad for you, and I understand that people would like to get the word out that this stuff is bad for you and raise awareness, but why not start a new thread? Or be a little nicer and less condescending about it?

That's all...

Replies

• tig3rang3l
    tig3rang3l Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say a small rant and then keep my mouth shut, because I'm seeing a lot of it and it bothers me.

Every once in a while, I eat crap. Chemically processed, totally terrible, cancer causing crap. I don't need to be pounced on, and I'm tired of watching everyone else being pounced on, every time it's mentioned.

I understand it's bad for me, just like I understand cellphone use is bad for me, and TV, and my allergy medication.

There are a lot of things out there that are bad for you, and I understand that people would like to get the word out that this stuff is bad for you and raise awareness, but why not start a new thread? Or be a little nicer and less condescending about it?

That's all...
  • Brandiann
    Brandiann Posts: 905 Member
    Options

That's all...

I agree!
  • greysweatshirt
    Options

That's all...

I'm glad you've said something! I'm totally the same way...I eat always all organic or all-natural foods..but every once in a while, I'll get some candy, or fast food. I don't see anything wrong with that once in a while.
  • wmcnicol
    wmcnicol Posts: 144
    Options
    AMEN!!!!!
  • chellebelle315
    Options
    I totally get what you're saying, and honestly I agree....I eat very healthy but every once in a great while I need a vanilla zinger :)

Some people just feel really strongly about their choices, and want to get the information out there...you have to just take a deep breath....and laugh at it most the time.
  • tig3rang3l
    Options
    Some people just feel really strongly about their choices, and want to get the information out there...you have to just take a deep breath....and laugh at it most the time.

Most of the time it doesn't bug me so much, but it's the judgement and ridicule that goes along with the 'information'... to me, nothing justifies that. I understand that internet forums are not a place for sensitive people, but I think that this site especially should be a place for information and support, not so much the negative stuff :ohwell:
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options

That's all...

You can eat all you want of whatever you want cause what you do doesn't effect anyone but yourself- However I do understand what you are saying-

But since you got to rant Im going to add to it--

If you eat junk/crap constantly or more than you should be please don't post threads such as I am not losing weight and I don't understand why- because you do understand and know why its the *kitten* your putting in your mouth..
    Okay Im done now
  • tig3rang3l
    Options
    If you eat junk/crap constantly or more than you should be please don't post threads such as I am not losing weight and I don't understand why- because you do understand and know why its the *kitten* your putting in your mouth..
    Okay Im done now

That I can agree with!!!!
  • greysweatshirt
    Options

That's all...

You can eat all you want of whatever you want cause what you do doesn't effect anyone but yourself- However I do understand what you are saying-

But since you got to rant Im going to add to it--

Okay Im done now

I hear you...but I don't think that's what this is about...for example..a couple months ago I posted a thread about getting a Shamrock Shake from McDonalds and I had people all over me about it! I don't think it's a great idea to eat like that all the time...but there's isn't a need to jump down someone's throat because they decide to indulge once in a while.
  • pattitricia85
    Options
    I have noticed the same thing around here! I have been popping into this site for a year and a half now... i am very fit and really not trying to lose weight... just maintain a healthy lifestyle, and count my calories. I have noticed in the last few months people have been rude and just plain mean sometimes. its like its a contest who knows the most or something... that wasnt happening a year ago. i have been thinking about posting something, but THANK-YOU!!! i knwo some people come on here and whine about eating donuts at work... and they are on day 2, then day 3 they have a piece if cake... yeah its annoying and i get they need accountability, but i don't think that helps
  • jeffwyeg
    jeffwyeg Posts: 105
    Options
    :drinker:

THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH FOR SAYING THIS!

I was just thinking about this today while I was at the gym...if you want to eat nothing but organic food, completely pure, grown 100 miles (or less) from your home then good on you!

And if I want to eat regular old stuff, full of preservatives, trucked in by an exhaust-spewing gas-guzzling semi-trailer from 1000 miles away then that's my choice.

What's right for one person isn't right for another...and lord knows that somewhere down the road, the science-type folks will come out with a study saying that all that organic stuff is bad for you and causes cancer. Luckily I'll be just fine because I'll be so well preserved :laugh: ha ha!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I have a feeling you are talking to me

if so...i was telling some friends of mine earlier how on this site I preach at myself and hope someone hears me

when I "rant" about crap..I am also talkin to myself...when I quit eating crap...things got better...my health...my weight,,,,even my complexion

when I see people making food choices based only on the number of calories and not on the qualtiy of the calories...I speak up cause I wouldnt want my sister doing it nor do I want you to do it

the spirit of my message is positive

to me ...this is a fitness site....My Fitness Pal.....
    I do not see it as a site to have others tell us that it is OK to eat crap

sorry your feelings got hurt...it want my intention
  • tig3rang3l
    Options
    Dave,

I wasn't directing this specifically toward you, it's just a pattern that I'm seeing a lot on the site that irks me. I'm not encouraging anyone to eat crap, don't get me wrong... I'm also thoroughly annoyed at those who eat a doughnut every day and come onto here to be told they are still going to lose weight. I started eating cleaner last year and it did me a world of good... it never ceases to amaze me the crap that passes through the FDA and some of the things we ingest.

So I'm not disagreeing with the message, just the way it's being said in some of these threads. I agree that more people need to be informed, but some of the things I'm seeing on the boards can also be very condescending.
  • heather93277
    Options
    I agree with a lot said here..

I don't feel people have to be nasty or blunt or judgemental when posting, yet I don't feel people should constantly be asking questions that seem a bit obvious if they just read the newbie threads. I was a newbie too... and I probably asked some ridiculous questions... but once I was pointed to the correct places to read, I did just that and learned. And I've learned A LOT!! :laugh:

I also agree that giving up ALL processed foods and ALL fast foods and ALL restaurants and ALL desserts is just simply not something that ALL people can do!! LOL!! :bigsmile: What's the point of living if we can't enjoy ourselves and treat ourselves to something we really desire every once in a while?! I, for one, love food :heart:

Last, we all make mistakes on this journey. We are human. So what's wrong with having a little compassion and concern? You may feel strongly about an issue and you have every right to!! But, there's a kind and gentle way of getting your point across and there's an abrasive harsh way... I guarantee more people will respond to the lighter side :flowerforyou:
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I honestly think the message that Dave and others are trying to get across is that just because something says "Low Calorie", "Low fat". "Light" or any of the other names that marketing execs use to come up with chemicals - it doesn't mean it's healthy for you.

Most of us on here understand that we're not going to make 100% healthy choices, 100% of the time... but there are a lot of "diet foods" out there that are doing serious damage to our bodies... and the general public doesn't know about it.

Every time I have ever tried to diet, I've gone out and bought fat free cheese, fat free cottage cheese, artificial sweeteners, diet sodas, etc... then I wondered why I wasn't losing weight. Could be because the food didn't taste good and it was impossible to stick with. If you eat "real" food, but watch your portions - you will lose weight.

I agree that sometimes people can come across as curt and condescending at times, but it does get frustrating to see the same discussions over and over again and 'tone" is hard to convey on message boards. Even harder for someone who is a cut and dried type of person. I'm one of those people and I have to try very hard to phrase things in a way that (hopefully) doesn't come across as curt.