I need help

Options
I've been trying for the past year to get back to 170 which is where I was about 2 years ago....and I've failed several times in trying, and now I'm almost 250. I need motivation, ideas, and not just ideas with exercise, but ideas with what I could possibly make as a meal on a very low budget! Any help you can provide, any encouragement would be greatly appreciated! And I'll try to keep up my end as well! Thanks!!!

Replies

• dolphingurl75
    dolphingurl75 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    A huge key for me has been water. Drink a big glass of water first thing in the morning before anything and then drink a large glass of water before and during each meal. This will help make you full .. and well .. you will be running to the bathroom like crazy, but hey! .. it works =) As for low cost, beans are a great source of potassium, protein and in general are pretty good for you. I make up a huge pot of chili and divide out the portions so I know how many calories I consume and I have at least lunch for a week or so (I freeze the portions until I need them. Also, steamer veggies are quick and relatively inexpensive.
  • Athena_C
    Athena_C Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am finding that salads are definitely a lifesaver for me. My kids love tacos, so once a week we have a 'taco night', and I make a taco salad for myself. I put 1 1/2 cups lettuce in a bowl, add 1/4 cup ground taco seasoned turkey, 1 tablespoon of light sour cream, 1/4 cup salsa, and 1/3 cup light Kraft Tex Mex shredded cheese. The lettuce fills me up and I still get to eat what everyone else is eating. I also enjoy making ranch, ceasar and Thai salads with a slice of ham or chicken deli meat diced up and whatever veggies I feel like adding. Another delicious dinner recipe is 'Diet Coke Chicken'. I wouldn't recommend this one too frequently since it has aspartame, but don't let the Diet Coke throw you off... it tastes just like BBQ chicken with a fraction of the calories. There's a YouTube video that shows you the recipe and how to cook it if you're interested. I found it there and added celery, onions, mushrooms and frozen corn to the recipe, which I sauteed with nothing but a bit of water and fat free cooking spray before adding the chicken.
    One more thing that has helped me along the way is keeping a pack of gum in my kitchen. When I am preparing dinner, baking, or just searching the kitchen for a sweet snack, I pop a piece of gum in my mouth (Juicy Fruit helps the sweet cravings) and it reminds me that I don't need to be putting food in my mouth!
    Good luck! You can do it!
  • Angelover2286
    Angelover2286 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies for your ideas and support, I will definitely try some of those ideas!
  • l3ugjuice
    Options
    Salad, salad, salad.

My idea of dieting is/was just altering somewhat the things I eat, reducing portions, and burning more calories. Little things add up in a pretty big way at the end of the week. Doing things like substituting ... say .... lean ground turkey for ground beef in tacos can make a difference, plus it allows you to eat relatively normal. Drinking water helps a great deal, too, I've found...both in helping your body rid itself of the fat it burns and also in helping you 'feel' more full when you eat.

But, at the end of the day, nothing completely replaces the need for good old fashioned willpower. That's easy enough for me: my dad died from a heart attack at 45, and I dont really want to go that soon. I cant help you find what will motivate you, I dont know you well enough; but finding your own self-motivation is key IMO. Ask yourself why you REALLY want to lose weight? Give it some thought, dont just go with the first thing that pops into your head. REALLY, truly, honestly soul-search and think of what it is. Once you have your answer, you will have your motivation.
  • ANGRU39
    Options
    Hi,

I so sympathize with you. Until 6 months ago, I had given up on the idea of ever losing any weight. After 3 kids and 10 plus years of weighing more than 250, dozens of diets, I just didn't think it was possible. My husband, also over 250 decided to go on one of those shake diets. No way was I going down that road, I like the feel of chewing. Anyway, when he started losing, I was just horrified that he would weigh less than me. After talking it over I thought I would try and beat him by counting calories. I used a site like this to do a calculation and just got bullish about maintaing a low cal intake. I honestly didn't think I would suceed, but after the first couple of weeks I began to see a change. Now, 5 months later, I have taken off 40 pounds and am 1/2 way to my goal. So what did I do?

1. weighed every day
    2. maintained a caloric intake of 1000-1200 per day
    3. didn't give up!!!
    4. at 35 pounds of loss- began exersizing for 20 min 3-5 times per week.

Hey- it is possible, and I'll be the first to congratulate you on making any effort. You CAN do this.

Oh, for that calorie goal i used 2 tools. labels and a good cookbook that listed out the calories for me (I hate math)
  • Gemma_Moo
    Options
    I have a fab recipe that is actually a weight watchers recipe i believe. Doesn't sounds very nice as it includes a small bottle of orange fanta zero but it sure does taste yummy :-)

FANTA SWEET AND SOUR CHICKEN ! Serves 4

4 chicken breasts chopped into bite sized pieces
    1 Onion
    1 Red pepper
    1 Yellow pepper
    1 small pack of mushrooms
    330ml Fanta zero (orange)
    6 tablespoons of passata
    1 heaped teaspoon chinese 5 spice
    Splash of soy sauce

Fry the chicken over a medium heat
    Add the chopped veg and fry until it starts to soften
    Add the 5 spice, passata, fanta & soy sauce
    Turn to a high heat until it starts to boil then reduce the heat to a medium/high and leave to simmer for about half an hour or until the sauce reduces...

QUICK, EASY AND PRETTY CHEAP TO MAKE xx
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Beans are a cheap and very easy way to get the protein and corn tortillas (white corn microwaved wrapped in a damp paper towel) and any thing else you can think to throw in. I struggled with the protein thing, gluten free so most meat substitutes are not an option.
  • shad1018
    shad1018 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I have a fab recipe that is actually a weight watchers recipe i believe. Doesn't sounds very nice as it includes a small bottle of orange fanta zero but it sure does taste yummy :-)

FANTA SWEET AND SOUR CHICKEN ! Serves 4

4 chicken breasts chopped into bite sized pieces
    1 Onion
    1 Red pepper
    1 Yellow pepper
    1 small pack of mushrooms
    330ml Fanta zero (orange)
    6 tablespoons of passata
    1 heaped teaspoon chinese 5 spice
    Splash of soy sauce

Fry the chicken over a medium heat
    Add the chopped veg and fry until it starts to soften
    Add the 5 spice, passata, fanta & soy sauce
    Turn to a high heat until it starts to boil then reduce the heat to a medium/high and leave to simmer for about half an hour or until the sauce reduces...

QUICK, EASY AND PRETTY CHEAP TO MAKE xx

This sounds wonderful - gonna try soon!
  • Gemma_Moo
    Options
    Its absolutely beautiful and so quick to cook, i just do some boiled rice with mine.

Looks a bit funny once you add the fanta but trust me it does thicken and reduce hehe.

Enjoy :-) it's my fave, very tasty x
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    A great lunch or dinner idea that I use is the microwave vege bags, and Flavoured tuna. I eat this for lunch every single day! And I dont get sick of it as I change what flavour tuna I have :) You get a dose of veges and tuna which has protein and omega 3 :)
  • Keran24
    Keran24 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I agree with the water thing, weigh myself every morning, and try to stay between 1000 and 1300 calories depending on how hungry I am that day. (I am a short person so you may need more calories than me) I work out when I can. And just stick with it. As you eat less and start to lose it gets easier. Losing even if it is in small amounts motivates me to continue. Good luck to you!!!
  • Georganna1962
    Options
    Hi! Welcome! I understand - I have been obese for 20 years going between 250 and 375. Prior to that my average weight was 135. I had tried everything. This time I am going to make it. Why?
    Instead of turning to unhealthy food I turn to God. I pray and walk when I am upset or anxious or feeling like I am going to lose control over food.
    I found exercise I really love and I do it at least twice a day - water aerobics and deep water jogging - I can work out hard for an hour and my joints and knees do not hurt - it's amazing
    I am on a limited budget so my diet is pretty simple but it's working for me - lots of water - not flavored water - water
    Breakfast - egg whites and a piece of fruit or oatmeal
    Lunch - Michelina's Lean Cuisine (under a dollar) and a salad
    Dinner - Big salad and chicken or turkey
    Snacks - Fruit, Yogurt or Veggies
    Cost savings - turkey is cheap right now - get a couple and put in the freezer. In Conroe turkeys are 24 cents a pound. That is alot of meat for really cheap. One of the local stores runs chicken breast for $1 pound about twice a month - I stock up then
    If you have a 99 cent store in your area - they have the bagged salad for 99 cents, plus tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers, cauliflower and broccoli for 99 cents - that is where I get all my veggies and salad stuff. They also have different types of vinegar.
    Fruit - I watch the ads and buy what is on sale and within my budget. Gives variety and I haven't found a fruit I don't like.
    Put everything on myfitnesspal - even if you mess up - put it down - forgive yourself and move on - no more oh I messed up so lets keep messing up and gain another 20 or 30 pounds
    Be nice to yourself. Reward yourself for your accomplishments. I like to shop. I cannot afford retail prices. So I shop resale shops and garage sales. When I have done well maybe I'll get me a pair of earrings or a book.
    Quit thinking about the past. It's gone, done, cannot change it - get over it. Move on and keep going.
    My prayer for you: Dear Lord please help her to find the motivation that moves her to action, give her the strength and courage to change, give her the wisdom to know what is best for her mind, body and soul and give her your love so she can love herself. Amen.
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    1. I'm with the water people. If nothing else, it is a great diversion from snacks. Helps keep the blood pressure down and keeps you active as you routinely visit the restroom.

2. Reduce salt if you are going over the daily recommended amount.

3. If you are not ready or able to exercise, making a conscious effort to be more active is huge. Stand while talkig on the phone. Get a moveable footrest for under your desk at work and move your legs throughout the day. Choose stairs over elevators. Do one loop of an indoor mall for every store you enter. Try to park far not near to your location.

4. Take pride in your efforts and successes.
  • Andylee63
    Andylee63 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Hi there..
    I know a lot of people have already posted..
    But, have you thought about portion control?
    Cutting down on the amount of food you actually eat, also aids in weight loss..

I know it might be common knowledge, but we can slip back into our old ways and have that little bit extra..
    That little bit extra then turns into normal daily routine and before you know it, you are back to huge portions again.

My wife and I are using the weight watchers points system, as well as The Biggest Loser portion sizes..
    We now religiously weigh our food and divide the calories into 3.... our family..

Set your personal goal, and then split that into 5% portions..
    Treat yourself when you have successfully reached a 5% goal.

Good luck

Andy
  • zontuin
    zontuin Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    One of the key things for me is using a set of measuring cups and a (cheap) kitchen scale. Because no matter how accurate I think I am about estimating my portions, my eyes are deceiving, esp when I'm hungry! When I count the calories for a portion of rice, I measure out a 1/2 cup to make sure. For me, measuring and weighing my food, has helped tremendously!

Good luck with your weight loss. I think the biggest thing right now is to start and to stick with it, no matter what you do. Every little bit helps. As you start to lose, you will become more and more motivated. Right now, just start. You're doing GREAT so far, in logging in, setting up your account and posting!!!!! You can do it! Feel free to add me for support if you like.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    As far as shopping on a budget is concerned, have you checked out www.thegrocerygame.com? I cannot shop any other way. It matches up coupons to sales for the rockbottom price. Save up coupons for 2-3 weeks first then try the free trial.
  • JenniferH007
    Options
    the other thing you need to thing about is gaining lean musle and that is what will keep the weight off i made the mistake not eating nought and working out all the time. so be carefull on that and by the way welcome. talk to a tranier at a gym they can help
  • Kymmy81
    Kymmy81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I hope you find this site helpful - there are lots of wonderful people here in the same position, so you are not alone.

I agree with the previous posters re. water, and beans! But overall, I find that eating clean (ie fresh, unprocessed as much as possible) is the cheapest and most satisfying way of eating. The cleaner you eat - the more you can eat for the calories! Win-win!

Good luck x
  • Majunta
    Majunta Posts: 575
    Options
    I understand your frustration. I had 147lbs to lose when I started in October 2010 (started MFP March 2011). I am now to my halfway point! How did I get here?

Stayed true to myself
    Planned ahead. What I mean is if you know you will be faced with food challenges, like going out to dinner, big family meal, working long hours etc., check out restaurant websites for nutrition and plan what you will chose BEFORE you're at the restaurant; drink tons of water while there; pack your lunches for work; bring a lunch if it is a conference.
    Didn't make excuses for why I could or could not plan my meals
    Realized that disappointment is part of the game...be prepared for set backs
    WATER WATER WATER! Some days I'm really good at getting my water in and other days I'm not so good. When I don't get my water in, I DO see a difference on the scale.
    Speaking of the scale, try not to let it control you. There have been times when I wasn't losing weight but my clothes were getting bigger!
    Be kind to yourself! Even on the bad days. Know there will be bad days.
  • Majunta
    Majunta Posts: 575
    Options
    A few inexpensive & quick recipes:

Saucy Sausage, Peppers and Potatoes (Stove top)

1 lb. Italian turkey sausage (or regular italian sausage just adjust cals)
    1 Green Pepper - Cut into bite size pieces.
    1 Red Bell Pepper - Cut into bite size pieces.
    1 Onion - Cut into bite size pieces.
    2 Garlic cloves
    3/4 lb. red pototoes, peeled and cut into 1" cubes
    1 (15 oz) Tomato sauce
    1/2 C. Water
    1 tsp dried Oregano (I like to use more)
    1 tsp Italian Seasoning (I like to use more)
    Corn starch

Brown sausage (cook half way). Once browned, cut into bite size pieces. Add green pepper, red pepper, onion to skillet. Cook until softened. Return cut sausage to skillet. Add potatoes, tomato sauce, water & oregeno. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered, stirring occasionally for approximately 25 minutes. Thicken sauce by mixing 2 tbsp of cornstarch to 1/4 c. cold water. Add cornstarch mixture a little at a time to desired consistency. It gets thick quick.

Servings: 6
    Serving Sze: 1 1/3 C.
    Cals: 228

Swiss Steak with Carrots (crock pot)

2 lbs. Round Steak - Cut into 6 serving pieces
    1/4 C. flour
    1 tsp. salt
    1 rib celery, chopped
    2 carrots, chopped
    1 Onion, chopped
    Worcestershire sauce
    2 C. diced tomatoes
    1 C. tomatoe juice

1. Cut steak into six serving pieces. Dredge in flour mixed with salt. Place in crock pot
    2. Add chopped veggies and Worcestershire sauce
    3. Pour tomatoes over meat and veggies
    4. Cover, Cook on low for 6-8 hours

Serving Size: 1 C
    Cals: 270 (per cook book but I entered into MFP recipe and it came out a little higher)

Gound Turkey Potato Dinner (crock pot)

1 lb ground turkey
    5 C. raw potatoes, chunks
    1 Onion
    Salt/pepper
    14 1/2-oz can cut green beans, UNDRAINED (provides the liquid for the crock)
    40oz can mushroom pieces, UNDRAINDED (I hate mushrooms so I did not use)
    10 3/4-oz can cream of mushroom

Spray crock pot with a little Pam. Crumble uncooked ground meat in slow cooker
    Add potatoes, onions, salt, pepper
    Add beans and mushrooms. Pour soup over top.
    Cover. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high 4 hours.

Serving Size: 1 C.
    Calories: 250 (not MFP cals)