Sudden Cardiac death

Options
So this has been happening a lot lately at half marathons and its worrying. The last famous one was of a 21 yo dude in PA who died after finishing a half Marathon and another 40 yo dude who died before the finish at the same race.... does this bother you and is there anything that can be done to prevent it?

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    A 30 yo man died after a half marathon in my city earlier this year too, which was pretty awful.

I was very sad to hear that this happenned, but I don't feel that I'm at high risk - I'm the kind of person who is more likely to slow down or walk rather than PUSH through the pain to finish in a certain time.

However, my husband is freaking out about me training for a half marathon, so to put his mind at rest I'm going to the doctor to get a general health check and to see if there is anything I need to be aware of.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Don't run marathons?

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Yeah I thought I was fine before I heard that the Guy was 21! Im 25 and overweight with history of smoking and stimulant use... I had a physical last year but the doctor didn't seem that thorough.... literally listened to my heart for 10 seconds then moved on... maybe Ill schedule another exam...
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Its very sad but unfortunately these things can and do happen. When I was growing up my next door neighbor was an avid marathoner and while training for a race he passed away one night after a hard training run. Turns out he had eaten some sushi with a dangerous bacteria in it and his hard run had weakened his immune system. I don't intend to stop eating sushi because of that though.

Some of the causes of these things don't even come up in physicals. Ultimately, the risk is incredibly low.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Its very sad but unfortunately these things can and do happen. When I was growing up my next door neighbor was an avid marathoner and while training for a race he passed away one night after a hard training run. Turns out he had eaten some sushi with a dangerous bacteria in it and his hard run had weakened his immune system. I don't intend to stop eating sushi because of that though.

Some of the causes of these things don't even come up in physicals. Ultimately, the risk is incredibly low.

I agree, I think most of us are at low risk.
    And I think the health risks of sitting on the couch and getting overweight and diabetic far outweight the risk of dying while running.
    But, I'll ask my doctor anyway, I'm not 21 anymore!
  • ninyagwa
    ninyagwa Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I'm not a marathoner, but I can see where you might be a little scared. If you do schedule that doctors appointment, write down each of your concerns about your prior drug use,health history, and anything else, that way when you go in you'll have a specific list of concerns that the doctor can address and put your mind at ease. I'm sure I'm not the only one who forgets to ask my doctor important things when I'm in there if I don't have it written down.
  • donnam40
    donnam40 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have run 3 marathons and countless half marathons. In all honesty the media do not give you the full story - were these people predisposed to cardiac arrest, were there any underlying or contributing factors that have not been reported? People of all ages and fitness levels have cardiac arrests every day, even just going about there daily business. See your doctor to make sure there are no underlying risks, understand the risks of any stimulants/recreational drugs you may use and do your training and you have done everything to mitigate the risk. You are very unlikely to have a cardiac arrest if everything is OK, but if you do you may have had one anyway. You will never know.

Good luck and make sure you enjoy your run.

Donna
  • davesgal1
    Options
    Dr. Al Sears explains why this happens and is one of the reasons he developed PACE interval training. The heart and lungs want to be efficient and can decrease in capacity for long distance runners. Dr. Sears developed his training program for heart and lung patients in order to increase heart and lung capacity.. My daughter is a marathon runner and she does progressive interval training as part of her program.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Here's the issue. Many people who exercise think that just because they do, that they don't have and physical issues internally since externally they are fine. So many don't go and see a doctor annually. Especially men. Why spend time in a doctors office when they feel they are in much better shape than most of the male population? Moral of the story is don't let your ego stop you from an annual checkup.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It's definitely worrisome, but it's extremely rare. The ultimate cause could be something completely unrelated to long distance running.

But, I do agree with the above poster that the best way to not die from running a marathon is to simply not run the marathon! :laugh:
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    My husbands 40 something year old co-worker dropped dead of a heart attack in the parking lot of his gym after a work out.
    Makes ya wonder.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    My husbands 40 something year old co-worker dropped dead of a heart attack in the parking lot of his gym after a work out.
    Makes ya wonder.

I worked with a doctor who suddenly died of a myocardial infarction without any kind of warning. One day he was fine, totally healthy with no problems, the next day he was dead. It was shocking, but that kind of thing just happens sometimes.
  • Arabian♥Breeze
    Options
    Your comments are freaking me out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The other day I did a vigorous work out for the first time and i had a few heart palpitations and thought i was going to have a heart attack. im only 26 so it was scary. Im keeping it moderate for now on. my heart wasnt ready for that type of work out. SCARY SOMEONE MAKE ME FEEL BETTER!!!!! AHHHHHHHHH
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Rule Number One: EVERYBODY Dies.

It's how you live that matters.
  • discodaddy61
    discodaddy61 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    just remember that most of these deaths were probably caused by other undiagnosed problems possibly enlarged heart or asthma or COPD possible CHF maybe other problems that they werent aware of. remember that other professional athleted died such as walter payton, florence griffith joiner, hank gatjhers, pete maravich so if really concerns you then get a full check up including blood work and EKG from physician
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I did some more research and exercising does lead to an enlarged heart in runners and apparently at least some of these deaths were due to abnormal enlargement.... ah I need an EKG
    just remember that most of these deaths were probably caused by other undiagnosed problems possibly enlarged heart or asthma or COPD possible CHF maybe other problems that they werent aware of. remember that other professional athleted died such as walter payton, florence griffith joiner, hank gatjhers, pete maravich so if really concerns you then get a full check up including blood work and EKG from physician
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's new. If you have heart problems, especially undiagnosed, then putting a strain like a marathon on it is going to be a risk. The reason it's increasing is just that more people are doing it.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    BTW enlarged hearts and heart scarring is generally seen in extreme athletes, i.e. people who have run 100+ marathons, and long distance rowers, it's not something that a casual exerciser, or even a casual marathoner would need to worry about.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested to see if anyone had worked out the statistics, i.e. is the death rate among the hundred of thousands of people who run marathons every year any higher than in the general populace, many of whom will be putting a different strain on their hearts by being overweight and inactive.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    it is becoming more and more common and popular to run marathons, as more people do it the stats will increase for these kinds of things. Likely these people would have died of a heart attack anyway at some stage it just happened to be then.