Waking up hungry

Options
I noticed the last few nights I have been waking up in the wee hours of the morning starving. I am an insomniac so waking up is not a surprise. Why am I so hungry though? Any suggestions on how to resolve this?

Replies

• claire_xox
    claire_xox Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    What time do you have dinner? If I eat a light dinner or eat it early on I wake up early (6am?) and starving!
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    monday - friday i have dinner earliest 7:30pm as i finish work at 6pm and get home by 7pm. on weekends i will eat abit earlier between about 5 and 6pm.
  • Dragongrl
    Dragongrl Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Unlike what some people believe, your metabolism doesn't stop working when you sleep. You are waking up hungry because you are just that - hungry. So eat! It is OKAY to eat a light snack before bed time. That might help keep you from waking up starving. I've had this problem before and I know what it feels like to have your stomach feel like it's going to eat itself!

P.S. My personal favorite is peanut butter and celery. :happy:
  • DottieNewton
    DottieNewton Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have had that problem at times. I am thinking it is NOT really hunger but Stress that is causing me to want to eat at crazy hours. When I awake during the night and then I start thinking about all kinds of junk which is interfering with my sleep causing stress and then I want to fall back on my old comfort FOOD. I usually just try to tough those times out and I do go back to sleep usually.

Or it could be you are not eating enough at night. Perhaps you are really hungry.So, perhaps you could eat a little something--like light yogurt, or a glass of fat free milk, or a piece of fruit and go back to bed.
  • Try Gold Standard Whey Protein shakes. You can get them on Amazon.com, if you have trouble finding them elsewhere. They come in several great flavors and you can mix one up in a minute. Perfect for a good tasting snack that levels out your blood sugar crash.

I know that sounded like a commercial. It's just what I do if I get hungry at night. I also have one within the hour after getting up in the morning.
  • ackeebee
    Options
    thanks for your comments guys. really helpful.
  • claire_xox
    claire_xox Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    do you find you're more likely to wake up hungry on sunday and monday then?

for me dinner is usually about 8:30pm so when I eat at like 6pm I'm starved in the morning! lol, but if you're used to eating that early then must be another reason :)
  • ackeebee
    Options
    actually i have noticed it every night for about a week or so, so there was basically no difference on sunday and monday. if it was in the morning at a decent time when i am due to get up i wouldnt mind but this is happening in the 2-4am range which is very annoying
  • ackeebee
    Options
    i woke up this morning about 2am and was so hungry i had to get up and have a bagel and some cream cheese along with a hot drink. should i be logging this under yesterday's or today's food diary. i have entered it under yesterday's but wasn't 100% sure.
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I used to never eat breakfast and was never hungry early. But my Dr. told me to eat right when I get up and then eat every 2 hours. I started to do this and I wake up hungry now!