Festive food help!

Options
Not looking forward to he holiday's festive fatty foods, any help or hints of what to eat or not to eat?

Replies

• helma123
    helma123 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    If you are going to be cooking all that unhealthy stuff, try going on skinnytaste.com to get healthy makeovers of recipes. That's what I'm doing for thanksgiving.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    maybe stick to the turkey and veg and avoid too many potatoes, cakes, puddings... if possible roast the turkey rather than deep fry it. (saw some americans do that on TV program early this year!). we usually roast our turkeys in oven in UK but don't have ours till xmas day.
  • candlelady
    candlelady Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    No I won't be cooking it myself, it's when I'm out at parties or at friends .
    I heard 5 canapés / finger food = same calories as one meal
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Seriously.. Eat and enjoy.

I'm looking forward to all sorts of fatting, yummy food tomorrow. not to mention tonight at church we are having pie after the service.

I'm planning on working out today, taking tomorrow off and maybe working out Friday to off set some of it, but thats about it. I'm not going to deny myself food I want for fear of gaining weight.. thats just silly. Life doesn't stop because it's the holidays.. so roll with it and use common sense.
  • csklebar
    Options
    Have a nice 2-hour morning workout the day of - something fun or a sport you do. Then skip the canapes, have a diet coke and then when you eat just have decent portion sizes (breast with no skin, some stuffing, a little bit of potatoes and then a lot of veg). Then save room for dessert - one slice of pie or something like that with a white Americano, no sugar.

If you are having it as dinner, just have 400 calories of food for your breakfast and lunch, plenty of water and then go to dinner. Combining that with a 2 hour workout and you're all set.
  • csklebar
    Options
    And a binge every now and then is okay, but sometimes I just find it to be a bit too repetitive to do that, so I just limit my calories the rest of the day before that big meal.

Just also be sensible about your portion sizes. Just because it may be a normal portion size to others, doesn't mean it is for those of us that are trying to be fit and healthy. That is the key.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I am doing multiple things to offset the food tomorrow....

1) Mon, Tue, Wed, eat 100 calories less than normal
    2) Burn about 500 Thurs morning
    3) Have already added in most of the food I plan to eat on Thursday (My diary is open if you want to look)
    4) Budget how much I plan to eat calories wise....I am aiming for 2500. This is about 500 over maintenance.
    5) Bring a pack of gum with me to chew on whenever I am fighting off a craving. (Orbit wintermint)
    6) Go for a walk with the kids to take them to the park at some point to burn off a couple more calories.
    7) Most importantly - Enjoy my day! I will be guilt free eating loaded mashed potatoes and the m&ms my mother always has setting out

Note: I am a flexitarian, so I am not planning on eating any turkey even though it is one of the healthier options tomorrow.