Kefir curdling into jelly - what did I do wrong?

Options
I made a kefir smoothie this lunchtime with 300ml kefir, 125g blueberries and a teaspoon each of flax and sunflower seeds. It was the consistency of very runny yoghurt at this point. After a couple of minutes I went to drink it and it had curdled into a solid jelly - no whey coming off it. I whizzed it up again and drank it quick and it was very tasty. Didn't taste at all cheesy, just like extra sharp yoghurt. But I've never had kefir before so I don't know what it's supposed to be like or how to handle it. Should I have mixed it with milk instead of using it neat? Or shouldn't I have mixed it with acidic fruit? Or maybe it was off and I didn't know it? It was best before Monday 21st and it's now Wednesday 23rd. But it did taste fine. Very nice in fact.

Replies

• sryan8408
    Options
    I keep my kefir in the fridge and never had a problem with it going bad or turning solid. I usually drink it straight though and within a half hour so I'm not sure. Maybe it was what you mixed it with? Try just adding a little water to your shake next time
  • Deirdre_R
    Deirdre_R Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks sryan. I might not get another chance to try it - it's hard to get where I live - but I'm glad i did.
  • sryan8408
    Options
    Oh that stinks. I've only found one place that carrys it around me. But now they have the pumpkin spice flavor! Its my new favorite :).
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Were your flax seeds ground? (And if they weren't before you put them in, were they after you blended everything together?) I know flax + water is a vegan egg replacement, and it gets quite gelatinous when you mix them. I imagine the same sort of reaction would occur with other liquids as well, so it might've been that?
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    What she ^ said. Flax is a thickener, I will bet that was the cause. If your kefir tasted good then you are fine and the flax thickening things up just makes the texture better in my opinion. I miss kefir!