Bulimia during holidays?!

Options
So just out of curiosity I've been reading up on eating disorders. From my readings, people with bulimia can be divided into two groups:
1)Those who physically purge food by vomiting and other means (I'M 1000000% AGAINST THIS BEHAVIOUR)
2)Those who "exercise or fast excessively after a binge to offset the caloric intake after eating." (I DON'T UNDERSTAND THIS DEFINITION)

The first kind is very obviously extremely unhealthy but I kind of have difficulty understanding how the second type can be unhealthy as long as it is not done often (maybe only once every 2-3 months maximum).

Here is what I mean: So let's say my maintenance is 2000 calories and every year I end up eating a lot on Thanksgiving and I go over by like 2000 calories. To offset the extra 2000 calories I either fast completely the next day, or eat only 1000 calories and burn 1000 calories by exercise or burn the extra calories in several days through diet and exercise. After this extra 2000 calories is burnt off I go on to eating my healthy maintenance 2000 calories again until another holiday or event in a few months.

Would this count as bulimic behavior? Even the most extreme method I've listed where you fast the entire next day doesn't seem like it would cause any health damage.There are many people that actually advocate fasting once in a while to "cleanse" your body or whatever. So what I'm asking is what's wrong with going way over once in a while but burning it off through diet and exercise? and how is this any different from bulimic behavior?

Replies

• happy_jax
    happy_jax Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Interesting... I have never heard of the second definition. I'll be interested to hear what others have to say...

I'll never fast etc (I just pass out! haha) but regulary exercise to the point of exhaustion if I know I have a hugely calorific meal that evening. I don't think that's unhealthy...just good planning!! :laugh:

I suppose it depends on how often you do that. It's okay to do it every so often but isn't a healthy way to sustain your body and lifestyle?
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Interesting... I have never heard of the second definition. I'll be interested to hear what others have to say...

I'll never fast etc (I just pass out! haha) but regulary exercise to the point of exhaustion if I know I have a hugely calorific meal that evening. I don't think that's unhealthy...just good planning!! :laugh:

I suppose it depends on how often you do that. It's okay to do it every so often but isn't a healthy way to sustain your body and lifestyle?

Exercise excessively is never healthy. (and neither is fasting to make up for a binge).

If you eat healthy 80% of the time, you don't need to "make up" for binges. Your body will naturally find a balance. I think that's what everybody should aim for in order to build a healthy relationship with food.
  • Agito
    Agito Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I think with the second one it really depends on how your thoughts are and how often you do it.

With eating disorders it becomes more complicated and is different for everyone, but I would say that it gets more emotional. It becomes something you HAVE TO do and isn't really a choice you are making.
  • nyspotlight
    Options
    The second part figured in hugely to my eating disorder. But it was frequent. Also, it came with a lot of anxiety. I would have a binge (mine were always jr binges compared the what others I knew went through), then I couldn't calm down until it had been 2 days with no food or I went on several runs.

Rinse, repeat.

I really think the worry over it and the repetition are the problems. That and feeling like you can't break the cycle.

I mean, it's disordered eating either way - but the above is full-on eating disorder.
  • starfires
    starfires Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If you eat healthy 80% of the time, you don't need to "make up" for binges. Your body will naturally find a balance. I think that's what everybody should aim for in order to build a healthy relationship with food.

This.
  • Alison__
    Alison__ Posts: 107
    Options
    Bulimia is when it occurs a lot more often. Is a person an alcoholic for drinking once a month? No. Drinking every weekend? Maybe. Eating excessively and then working out to extreme amounts or fast is not bulimia until it's been repeated for about 2 months, until it becomes a way of living and eating normally for them. Someone with bulimia feels the need to eat excessively, they can't work against their cravings, they can't control themselves, and in order to feel better after eating, they work out to get rid of it. So no, if you do this during thanksgiving every year, it's not bulimia. Bulimia is when this pattern has been repeated for months, every week, and when the person can't stop doing it.
  • MissDiscipline
    Options
    If I eat over my calorie limits one day, I take it off from the next day. No doubt. There is one thing to eat a lot of crap day 1 and then starve yourself for the next two days, but if I'm a bit over my calories I eat a bit leaner, exercise a bit more. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it.
  • lovelyl0ve
    lovelyl0ve Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Buiimia is not once every 2-3 months. Bulimia is multiple times a day, week, month, year. The DSM requirement is that these binge-purge behaviors occur at least twice a week for a minimum of three months.

Bulimia is being out of control, eating despite not being hungry, not wanting what you're eating, not tasting it, hating yourself for every bite. It's HAVING to get rid of the food, because you aren't in control, your eating disorder is. There is nothing healthy about eating 6,000 calories one day, and spending the next three days eating nothing and running four miles a day.

Purging is the expulsion or compensation for food. Throwing up is not the only way. Overeating on thanksgiving and eating less the next day is not bulimia, not even close. You have to remember that eating disorders are largely mental, as well. It isn't all physical. Your self worth is tied to your weight and what you eat when you're suffering from an ED.
  • Alison__
    Alison__ Posts: 107
    Options
    You have to remember that eating disorders are largely mental, as well. It isn't all physical. Your self worth is tied to your weight and what you eat when you're suffering from an ED.

Word!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Exercise bulimia is well documented. Sufferers tend to try and burn off ALL their intake, not just one bad meal. Before the idea was well understood, a girl at my school used to run round and round the playing field every lunchtime and would frequently pass out.
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    When I was at uni we also looked at a similar disorder called 'Anorexia Athletica'. This is essentially where you eat a reasonable amount (or a slight deficit) but you exercise excessively. If I look honestly at my past, I was probably in this category for a few years in my life. I ate 1500 calories religiously (I was a healthy weight but an unhealthily low fat mass) and worked out 6-8 hours each day (mostly high intensity aerobic or weights classes). When I became injured with a stress fracture I continued to go to the gym despite severe pain and if something happened in my schedule and I couldn't make at least 4 hours of gym in a day I would be extremely upset, so you can see the compulsive nature of this. I would also prioritise the gym over anything and everything - my friends, my classes, my life essentially! It is also to do with body image - when I had my first stress fracture my doctor basically accused me of having an eating disorder and I told her I was too fat to have an eating disorder... hmm.

For you, I don't necessarily think working a bit harder in days after you have eaten a lot due to holidays would be classified as bulimia. The classification is more to do with body image and compulsion and obsession when it comes to exercise.
  • sarahkbarnes
    Options

This.

I'm with these guys. I never make up for binges. But I don't call them binges - just days when I went over for whatever reason (ie the Thanksgiving dinner I had last weekend!!). Then I just carry on as normal.

Interesting topic, though. Thanks for posting!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Doing something once in awhile is not cause for alarm. When you are doing it constantly and it affects your day to day living. That's when it becomes an issue.
  • aquarianpixi
    aquarianpixi Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I've known people that did the second, and it can be very unhealthy.

One in particular, she would have a reletively small binge, 1000 cals lets say, and go to the gym and work out for hours and burn up to 3x that because she could still feel it on her. This is the type of extreme that the second one is talking about.
  • BikerCat13
    BikerCat13 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You have to remember that eating disorders are largely mental, as well. It isn't all physical. Your self worth is tied to your weight and what you eat when you're suffering from an ED.

Word!

But it starts in different ways. I've had a few eating disorders over the years. Swinging between different forms on sometimes a monthly basis. This was the most dangerous for me though... Your hurting your body and A not giving it time to heal and B not giving it the fuel to even think let alone heal.
  • BikerCat13
    BikerCat13 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    repost
  • WausauMom
    WausauMom Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Great topic, I had never heard of the second group before.

12905309.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • PinkAndSparkle
    Options
    I figured I should respond, as a recovering Bulimic.
    The first definition you posted is definitely the most recognizable, although some binges to a bulimic could be just eating anything (I would purge after a green salad, or an apple, because I felt full). The second is the more common, but less discussed. I agree with what a PP said about it being more often to be considered disordered. Exercising a little more after a lot of food may feel natural, but its when you fall into the cycle of eating and exercising constantly it becomes problematic.
    Enjoy thanksgiving...it's about the family and the gratefulness...the food is just an added bonus :)
  • linzirussell
    linzirussell Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    If i have a 'binge' and eat a lot of food in one day, im not usually that hungry the following day coz im still so blaoted from the over-eat so it all evens out really without planning to do intentionally starve myself lol. I dont think this means i have a type of bulimia though as this doesnt really happen that often, maybe once a month:)
  • Leo_Joy_HG
    Leo_Joy_HG Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I can't really add an awful lot to this, but i felt the need to reply as i am currently trying to recover from bulimia.

The odd fast day, some people claim does wonders for your body, others claim it is detrimental so i'm not sure where i stand really.

I feel that i am beginning to change from, to put in bluntly, a binge/vomit bulimic to a binge/exercise bulimic. I try to keep my net cals at about 1000 and burn off any more i eat. Although, alas, i do still have some days where i eat over 3000...