Eating after 8pm

Options
What's the deal with eating after a certain time at night?

Should we not snack after 8pm? If we eat at 11 and go right to bed, does it make us gain more weight? Would we gain more weight in a certain area?

I have always been a firm believer in not eating after 8pm but I was just wondering what others thought.

Replies

• Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I eat in the evening--sometimes dinner doesn't get prepared until after 8pm. I'd rather eat when we can all eat together as a family.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    No. It doesn't make you gain weight if you stay under your calorie expenditure for the day.
  • dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I have seen this question on here before and the responses have been that it doesn't matter. I can't say whether it is true or not.
  • gloomkitty
    Options
    in my house we work night shifts our lunch is at 8pm and dinner around 2am... i dont think it much matters as long as the cal count is under limit
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    As long as you are still within your calories I don't think it matters what time you eat.
    If you have calories left & are hungry after 8pm, then by all means eat something.
    I eat whenever I'm hungry as long as I stay within my calorie goal.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    doesn't matter, there is no arbitrary cut off time that suddenly makes cals consumed turn right to fat
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    There's no reason not to eat late.
  • ruthnor
    Options
    It's not eating precisely after 8 p.m. that's the problem, it's eating too close to before you go to bed, whenever that may be. Your body digests food differently in sleep-mode, and it can cause weight gain. As long as you don't eat any actual meals a couple hours before bedtime (small snacks should be okay), you should be fine.

At least, this is what I've always been told.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Eat whenever you want. The time is arbitrary. As long as you are in a deficit you will loss weight.

<---coming from a person who eats dinner at 9 or 10 pm then goes to bed, including carbs (gasp!)
  • kplantt
    Options
    I was reading a couple articles online and there are tons of different opinions on this topic. I do agree that if you don't go to bed until 2 or 3 am eating after 8pm isn't a issue. However the snacks that most people eat after 8pm are not necessarily the healthiest choices. I don't eat after 8pm (except on weekend) because I go to bed at 11pm. I don't think you should eat 30 minutes prior to sleeping for sure!. That's just what I think though. I can't go to bed after a meal. Doesn't work well for me.
  • hottottie11
    Options
    I was reading a couple articles online and there are tons of different opinions on this topic. I do agree that if you don't go to bed until 2 or 3 am eating after 8pm isn't a issue. However the snacks that most people eat after 8pm are not necessarily the healthiest choices. I don't eat after 8pm (except on weekend) because I go to bed at 11pm. I don't think you should eat 30 minutes prior to sleeping for sure!. That's just what I think though. I can't go to bed after a meal. Doesn't work well for me.

I think placing a time after which you stop eating will prevent some from overeating. This overeating can lead to weight gain, but there is no evidence that eating under you calorie goals right before bed will cause you to gain weight. As long as cals out > cals in. You're fine.
  • kplantt
    Options

I think placing a time after which you stop eating will prevent some from overeating. This overeating can lead to weight gain, but there is no evidence that eating under you calorie goals right before bed will cause you to gain weight. As long as cals out > cals in. You're fine.

That makes sense. Thanks for all the feed back. This site really is awesome. Not going to lie, I might be addicted :)
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Last Meal should be 3 hours before you go to bed......
  • hottottie11
    Options
    Last Meal should be 3 hours before you go to bed......

Why? Sometimes I eat 10 minutes before I sleep...