negative affects of 2 much vitamans and calcium

Kushgetti
Kushgetti Posts: 146 Member
this past week ive notice that ive been constipated which caused bleeding as well as dry scalp although i drink plenty of water....i couldnt figure out what was causing these symptoms....when i exercised and broke out in a sweat my head would itch like crazy...last night i had 2 do an enema which ive never done b4....looking @ my diary i came 2 a conclusion...i was 300% or 400% of my vitiamans and calcium...the cause i was taking vitimans then eating yoguart and a slim shake with milk.....i thought i rather be over then not have enuff vitimans or calcium but having 2 much vitimans or calcium had an adverse effect on my body...now im watching and switch everything up

Replies

• PatriNina
    PatriNina Posts: 154 Member
    Well it seems everything has to be in moderation, even good things can be too much for our body. Glad you figured it out :smile:
    Oh and I'm glad to be your MFP friend :bigsmile:
  • angeleyes4643
    angeleyes4643 Posts: 151 Member
    yes, too much calcium causes serious constipation and dry skin. Your body can only absorb so much in a period of time and it needs to get rid of it somehow so it tends to dry out your body inside and out.
  • I am also regularly over my vitamin goals, Vitamin A & C mainly. Can it really cause that much of an adverse effect?
  • Well, I'd just been reading on this, as a matter of fact.

Vitamin C is easy - it's water soluble, your body can flush any excesses extremely easily.

Vitamin A is more complicated, it's actually a number of chemicals. Boiled down:
    Preformed vitamin A - called retinol. Comes from animal sources (meat, milk, etc..) Most dense, easily used type
    Provitamin A - called 'carotenoids', comes from plant sources. It's a lot less dense, your body has to convert it to retinol.

Now here's the trick: 10k IU of preformed/retinol is approaching toxic levels. Daily RDA is 3k IU. Your body has control over conversion, however, so if it has 'plenty' of retinol, it won't convert carotenoids.

As long as you aren't regularly busting 3X your recommended vit A, and are getting good amounts of your vitamin A in plant form, you're good. Just beware of liver. 3 ounces of beef liver = 545% of DV.
This discussion has been closed.