Muscle weighs more than fat

Options
Hi there! So I started this program a week ago and have been EXTRA vigilant in making sure to keep my calories at my mark and have a new found love of working out. I do a pilates class one day a week, Zumba one day a week, run 3 days a week and strength train for 2 days out of the week (obviously some of these overlap each other). My question is, is it normal to gain muscle during this process and not see a huge difference in your weight each week because of this?

Replies

• chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    It's my understanding that you don't gain muscle that fast. More likely it's water retention from your muscles healing themselves.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Most women would not be able to gain a pound of muscle in one month, but when you exercise your muscles hold onto water, and that might mask actual fat loss.
    I know a lot of people will jump on this and point out that muscle does not weigh more than fat, but it is more dense and takes up less room on your body.
  • jram70
    jram70 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    You will be ripped on here for saying muscle weighs more than fat. A pound is a pound. Muscle is more dense so you can appear smaller but weigh more. I would suspect water retention in your muscles as they repair themselves - it is normal and will even out.
  • voluptas63
    voluptas63 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    *headdesk headdesk*
  • brobin41101
    brobin41101 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    No...a pound is a pound, be it muscle or fat. You have a very active workout regime . Your body requires the calories you eat to do what you do. You may not get a loss on the scale, but I am sure you are seeing great results with the re- shaping of your body. It sounds like you are doing things right. :drinker: Keep up the good work !
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteousreused
    Options
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat. 1 lb of muscle = 1 lb of fat. Weight is just simply your mass times gravity. Which brings up the concept of density. Density is simply mass per a unit of volume. Now, it is correct to say muscle is more dense than fat; hence, why 1 lb of muscle is so much smaller than 1 lb of fat.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You will be ripped on here for saying muscle weighs more than fat. A pound is a pound. Muscle is more dense so you can appear smaller but weigh more. I would suspect water retention in your muscles as they repair themselves - it is normal and will even out.

she never said a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat. When someone says muscle weighs more than fat they imply by volume, since it is implied it does not need to be stated and is therefore correct.

FYI: because of gravity on earth the more dense something is the more it will weight, assuming equal volumes.

That being said, most likely water retention in the muscles to protect them from the damaged caused by exercise. Once you get us to the workouts your muscles will shed most of the water.
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    What he said, but also be careful on MFP. Sometimes you get ripped to shreads for typing things incorrectly. Just note, 1lb is equal to 1lb. The correct wording of this would be Muscle is more dense the fat. So although you may loose some inches putting on muscle and losing fat, you may actually weigh more.

But yes, this is probably due to water, and slight muscle gains. I don't like to use the scale too much as reference. Use the mirror or tape measure.
    It's my understanding that you don't gain muscle that fast. More likely it's water retention from your muscles healing themselves.
  • juleseybaby
    juleseybaby Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound is a pound.

However...

Muscle is more dense than fat and therefore 5 pounds of muscle takes up a smaller amount of space than 5 pounds of fat. This is why it is suggested that you also measure to check progress. You may be losing fat, gaining muscle and the scale won't move... sometimes it may even go up.

muscle%2Bvs%2Bfat.jpg
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

However...

Muscle is more dense than fat and therefore 5 pounds of muscle takes up a smaller amount of space than 5 pounds of fat. This is why it is suggested that you also measure to check progress. You may be losing fat, gaining muscle and the scale won't move... sometimes it may even go up.

muscle%2Bvs%2Bfat.jpg

Now take your picture and make the muscle and fat the same size (volume) which would weigh more? Muscle of course so she is correct in saying muscle weighs more as you should keep volume constant when comparing weights of 2 matters.
  • wsheaf82
    wsheaf82 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Now that the "muscle weighs more than fat" argument is taken care of ....

I wouldn't expect huge differences in weight week to week. So many factors go into what the scale says daily. You could of just ate a bigger meal then you did the last time you weighed yourself. You could be holding water. You could have issues with Tom. So much can effect a scale that while you could have had an excellent week in terms of the amount of fat burnt that it doesn't actually show on the scale.
  • wsheaf82
    wsheaf82 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Seriously, the way people rip on each other instead of helping can cause someone to get discouraged before even starting.
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    To be honest doesn't weight imply mass? It doesn't directly correlate to volume until density is taken into consideration. So it technically is not implied. He was just doing what I was trying to do myself. Give the OP a fair warning before others start to rip on this.

she never said a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat. When someone says muscle weighs more than fat they imply by volume, since it is implied it does not need to be stated and is therefore correct.

FYI: because of gravity on earth the more dense something is the more it will weight, assuming equal volumes.

That being said, most likely water retention in the muscles to protect them from the damaged caused by exercise. Once you get us to the workouts your muscles will shed most of the water.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Hi there! So I started this program a week ago and have been EXTRA vigilant in making sure to keep my calories at my mark and have a new found love of working out. I do a pilates class one day a week, Zumba one day a week, run 3 days a week and strength train for 2 days out of the week (obviously some of these overlap each other). My question is, is it normal to gain muscle during this process and not see a huge difference in your weight each week because of this?
    Almost impossible to gain any muscle on calorie deficit. The weight is from glycogen and water storage in the muscle from exercise. Usually subsides in a couple of weeks.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Seriously, the way people rip on each other instead of helping can cause someone to get discouraged before even starting.

for real... yall knew what she meant...i hate that argument. it's pointless.

as for the OP, I agree with whoever said water retention. Your muscles tend to hold in water when they heal. I always weigh more the morning after i lift compared to a morning after a lot of cardio. it'll all even back out
  • jram70
    jram70 Posts: 91 Member
    Options

The title said muscle weighs more than fat. I was trying to intervene before people started being jerks about it.
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    It seems everyone has addressed the more dense issue. (I think this is what most people mean when they say 'weighs more.' Of course a pound is a pound, I think it's the just wording that gets jumbled. Let's be nice. It's one thing to politely correct semantics, but another to tear into someone. Harping on this isn't helping to answer her question.) Anyhow....

I agree that it's most likely your muscles retaining water to repair the micro tears that exercising causes. However, over a longer period of time, you can certainly gain weight and lose inches.

The photo below shows me at 150lbs in June of 2010 on the left, and me at 150lbs in November 2011. (In between these two photos, I did lose quite a bit of weight and got thinner, and then since I started strength training this summer, have gained weight back.)
    Screenshot2011-11-22at100559AM.png

From a Nerd Fitness article, look at Staci. She weighs 131lbs on the left and 142lbs on the right:
    Screenshot2011-11-23at100602AM.png

(source: http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/)

However, this does take a bit of time, and isn't going to happen in a week. I just wanted to share so you had some images to see when you start thinking long term.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

FACEPALM!

Muscle is denser than fat. Therefore a given volume of muscle weighs much more than a comparabe volume of fat. Saying muscle weighs the same as fat is EXACTLY ANALAGOUS TO SAYING "GOLD WEIGHS THE SAME AS WOOD BECAUSE A POUND OF GOLD EQUALS A POUND OF WOOD." Basically it's a very strange thing to say.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    unless someone says 1lb of [whatever] weighs the same as 1lb of [other substance], you can't really assume that that's what they're saying.

You know what you can assume, though? That when someone says muscle weighs more than fat, they're implying "by volume."
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    It seems everyone has addressed the more dense issue. (I think this is what most people mean when they say 'weighs more.' Of course a pound is a pound, I think it's the just wording that gets jumbled. Let's be nice. It's one thing to politely correct semantics, but another to tear into someone. Harping on this isn't helping to answer her question.) Anyhow....

I agree that it's most likely your muscles retaining water to repair the micro tears that exercising causes. However, over a longer period of time, you can certainly gain weight and lose inches.

The photo below shows me at 150lbs in June of 2010 on the left, and me at 150lbs in November 2011. (In between these two photos, I did lose quite a bit of weight and got thinner, and then since I started strength training this summer, have gained weight back.)
    Screenshot2011-11-22at100559AM.png

From a Nerd Fitness article, look at Staci. She weighs 131lbs on the left and 142lbs on the right:
    Screenshot2011-11-23at100602AM.png

(source: http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/)

However, this does take a bit of time, and isn't going to happen in a week. I just wanted to share so you had some images to see when you start thinking long term.

Winner. Great post, I for one am quite impressed and found this helpful.