Need to vent

Options
I have been off the wagon for a while now. Basically since April. Eating what I want, exercising inconsistently... but at the beginning of November I started tracking again. I've also been working out 3 times a week, trying to get my running endurance back up (ran a half marathon in April).

All I wanted was to lose a couple pounds before Thanksgiving (before seeing my in-laws). I didn't think that was too lofty of a goal since I started November 1. Well, it's the day before Thanksgiving and despite eating 1360 calories or less almost every day and working out 3 times a week, I have yet to lose a pound! Correction, an OUNCE. I thought I might be "gaining muscle" so I did a tape measurement and took a body fat measurement. Measurements are negligibly different and my body fat percentage is up almost an entire percent from when I last checked it in September.

I feel like I can't even enjoy Thanksgiving tomorrow because it might set me back even further. I feel gross and unattractive. I want to cry. The end.

Replies

• betzeross
    betzeross Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry. I wish I had expert words of wisdom for you, but I don't (maybe others do though!) I just pray that you don't give up. You are doing the right thing by working out and eating fewer calories. You want to be healthier, stronger, thinner and YOU WILL! Keep making the right choices - don't give up. I wish you success on your weight loss journey. Blessings.
  • Sepa
    Sepa Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    My only advice is to enjoy thanks giving and after maybe try upping your calories a bit. If your working out 3 times a week and still only eating 1350 cals it's Likely you are under your net calories. This can stop you loosing weight. Also try drinking lots of water
  • fitnatic67
    Options
    No reason to cry. You don't have to lose weight to be attractive. Feel good about who you are, inside and out. That is where you'll draw the strength to continue on this journey. Not all accomplishments can be measured with tape or a scale. Just keep in mind that you are preparing your body for your journey. Keep your head up and keep moving forward. Most of all, give thanks for all that you have and enjoy the day for it's intended purpose.
  • dcfl2012
    Options
    Don't be so down on yourself ! Life happens and changes our motivations ! Do not beat yourself up! Do this for yourself and just take it day by day okay : ) I've had challenging days myself-but I can't throw it all away b/c one day was inconsistent! Don't give up on yourself :) Numbers go up and down for me and probably many folks on here !
    If you log for Thanksgiving, it will give you a sense of accomplishment !
    Have a better day !!!
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Be proud of the fact you started the journey. It is not a race, it is a journey and every journey starts with the first step. Dont beat yourself up over this. Love yourself and the fact you are moving in the right direction. Hang in there!!
  • TWrecks1968
    TWrecks1968 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    No reason to cry. You don't have to lose weight to be attractive. Feel good about who you are, inside and out. That is where you'll draw the strength to continue on this journey. Not all accomplishments can be measured with tape or a scale. Just keep in mind that you are preparing your body for your journey. Keep your head up and keep moving forward. Most of all, give thanks for all that you have and enjoy the day for it's intended purpose.

Fantastic answer. This is very good advice.
  • nrimas
    nrimas Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    This! Great attitude!!
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I have been off the wagon for a while now. Basically since April. Eating what I want, exercising inconsistently... but at the beginning of November I started tracking again. I've also been working out 3 times a week, trying to get my running endurance back up (ran a half marathon in April).

All I wanted was to lose a couple pounds before Thanksgiving (before seeing my in-laws). I didn't think that was too lofty of a goal since I started November 1. Well, it's the day before Thanksgiving and despite eating 1360 calories or less almost every day and working out 3 times a week, I have yet to lose a pound! Correction, an OUNCE. I thought I might be "gaining muscle" so I did a tape measurement and took a body fat measurement. Measurements are negligibly different and my body fat percentage is up almost an entire percent from when I last checked it in September.

I feel like I can't even enjoy Thanksgiving tomorrow because it might set me back even further. I feel gross and unattractive. I want to cry. The end.
    Don't lose perspective. Thanksgiving is a great opportunity to spend time and concentrate on the people who are important in your life. Let tomorrow be just another day. Make good choices. Don't obsess. Don't be excessive. Eat until you are full and then walk away from the table (wouldn't want to insult whomever took all that time to cook). Go for an after-meal walk. Get up Friday morning and get focussed again.
    I found MFP in mid-January...did great in the first couple of months and then fell off the wagon. I'm back...been back for a few weeks not with little apparent progress...but it's because I let myself go back to old habits so I've got to train myself to get balance back into my life. You can do it too.

~Sharon
  • musiccuresall
    Options
    Lots and lots of things can keep you from losing weight. Just keep exercising, and try switching it up. Maybe even take a day or two off. If you have been doing the same workouts, your body could have gotten used to them, and you should ramp it up. I know when I was working out with a trainer, I kinda hit a wall in losing weight. I took an extra day or so off because of life events, and when I came back, I was shocked to find out that I had lost three pounds without doing anything. If you aren't giving your body enough rest, then it never has time to recover and rebuild muscles. After that, I ramped up my exercises. Just keep it up, and you will be fine.

BTW, I know exactly how you feel. I was working out alot and had lost 10lbs, but after I stopped because of work and school, and stopped watching my diet, I gained 20lbs. Now I have to lose 20 just to get back to where I was, and then I have 15 more after that to be where I want. I feel like a cow because Im the biggest I have ever been in my life, and I carry alot of weight in my tummy. So people always ask when Im due....ugh. Don't let it get you down, use it for motivation!!! With the support here, and knowing that everyone on here wants us to do well, we can do this!!
  • TNGURL
    TNGURL Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Go enjoy Thanksgiving.... & Friday pop in DVD workout or run outside or if ya have a treadmill... Friday will be a new day.. that's the way I'm lookin at it...

I love to run too.. I've been doin P90X for awhile now & it's messed up my run schedule.. so, I've lost my running endurance.. )=

Friday after Thanksgiving I'm gonna run on my treadmill.. I find that for me, I lose weight faster when I run than with P90X alone.. dunno why.. .but it's just like that for me.

I'm not feeling my sexiest either...let's both climb back on the wagon... & post a pic dammit.. can't see who ya are.. LOL!
    Good luck girl!!!
  • ValMcB
    ValMcB Posts: 44
    Options
    My only advice is to enjoy thanks giving and after maybe try upping your calories a bit. If your working out 3 times a week and still only eating 1350 cals it's Likely you are under your net calories. This can stop you loosing weight. Also try drinking lots of water

This is very true! I have been losing consistently on 1720 cals and then kind of hovered. MFP just dropped it to 1650 because of my recent loss and my weight is dropping again. You are probably not eating enough and the body is kicked into starvation mode! It will hang onto every little bit until it can't any longer.
    Eat well tomorrow! Enjoy the holiday and your family! Give thanks and relax.
    Then the day after eat a higher calorie count than usual but not as much as you did at the feast, let the body know that there is more good food where that came from. Confuse it! Let yourself lose a pound or 2 then gradually lower the calories each time you hit a plateau.
    And drink LOTS of water! My favorite glass holds 4 cups, I drink 2 a day minimum. Sometimes 3 or more. Use a straw, sometimes that helps to increase intake.
    But above all else, Have A Happy Thanksgiving! And a wonderful holiday season. I for one am looking so forward to it! Going to enjoy all the goodies, just in moderation, NOT deprivation!
    :D
  • littlekrb
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the support. I really appreciate it.