Too much soy?

Options
My dad and I love this soy protein shake that we get at Costco but lately we've been hearing that too much soy is a bad thing. Apparently it contains hormones that aren't good for you in high doses. Does anyone know anything about this? And how much is too much if that is the case?

Replies

• veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Please do your own research rather than listening to random people on the internet. You will get very different responses to this. I'll give you mine, but you will definitely see both sides on this. Soy contains phytoestrogens, like many other plants - this is not the same as the human hormone. Overly processed soy isn't good for you, but okay to eat now and then. Best forms of soy are those fermented - like tempeh. Tofu is okay in moderation. The whole soy bean is good. There are other protein powders out there made from plants that you can try - such as those made from hemp or pea protein. I wouldn't do soy protein powder every day only because I avoid too much processed soy, but if you alternated with that and another plant protein source that should be fine. But again, please do your own research and pay attention to who is writing the research to identify biases.
  • MikeDailyIntake
    Options
    Soy for men is a bad thing(if thier trying to build muscle and you eat it way to often), it raises estrogin levels. But for a woman i think it should be fine. If you're looking for other protein sorces theres always "whey protein" and it's usually pretty cheap.
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Fermented soy is fine but raw is not so good. Fake meats made with soy contain a hormone called insulin growth factor 1, that not only promotes muscle and bone growth but cancer. However, you have to ingest 45 grams or over. Do a search on YouTube for Dr. John McDougall as he gives a lecture on Milk, Soy and Insulin Growth Factor 1.

Yes, do your own research and ask questions. I have given up raw soy products as i no longer need to grow taller (I am into my 40s and won't grow any taller, just wider).
  • dihar2
    dihar2 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If you research soy you will find differing opinions. Many alternative Doctors however are coming more and more to the opinion that soy should be taken in small doses and to ingest only fermented soy ie: miso, tempeh, tamari. Studies have shown a link between soy and lumpy breasts. If you have any kind of Thyroid issue you have no soy of any kind ever. Studies have absolutely proven a huge adverse affect between these two. Go to dr.mercola.com or drlam.com or search engine soy good or bad to accumulate your own data. Other than organic tamari there is no soy in our home and never will be. Hope this helps
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Soy for men is a bad thing(if thier trying to build muscle and you eat it way to often), it raises estrogin levels. But for a woman i think it should be fine. If you're looking for other protein sorces theres always "whey protein" and it's usually pretty cheap.

lol
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Stop listening to broscience on forums. There are quite a few resources from people with actual knowledge and studies available through a quick google search.
  • NormaHBrown
    NormaHBrown Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Everyone's body is different. In my case, too much soy was bad for me. I went on a soy kick about 10 years ago, and several months later found myself tired all the time, moody, and actually gaining weight. My doctor did some tests and found that my thyroid was underperforming, and I had developed a condition called hypothyroidism. I was put on maintenance medication, and it looks like it will be life-long. I then did some research, and found that soy can be bad for your thyroid, and a lot of cultures who eat large amounts of soy (tofu) or consume it instead of meat tend to be hypothyroid.

I would suggest you eat it in moderation, and be aware of the symptoms: tiredness, weight gain, feeling cold all the time, swelling in your fingers and feet, depression, extremely dry skin, among others.

To be honest, I'm really not sure how much is too much. I was consuming it every day, so maybe a few times a week won't hurt you. In my case, I have to avoid it because I now know it's not good for me.