Zero Thanksgiving worry.

Options

Replies

• jmgcummins
    jmgcummins Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I think I understand why people are worried. Thanksgiving is only one day....but then there is Christmas, New Years, Easter, birthdays, graduations, and a million other "special occasions" that involve food and drink.

I don't think it hurts to enjoy yourself, and enjoy the food you like with your family, but people with food issues can sometimes go overboard and then end up on a downward spiral. Thanksgiving Day, becomes Thanksgiving week-end, then the whole week, and it can be hard to stop.

No need to stress, just be conscious of what you are eating, and when the day is done, get back on track :)

That being said, I'm Canadian, so it's not even Thanksgiving here. lol. Enjoy your turkey day!
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I totally agree! I know I will be enjoying the day...no worries about the food and drink tomorrow, we've earned this fabulous day of feast and family! :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • wagreen
    wagreen Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    True. But some people will be eating on all the food for a few days and taking it for lunch, so I just wanted to encourage them that they have come to far to give in. Eat in moderation and work out. I'm looking at that one day as more of a victory dinner for me and my accomplishments and then I am back to business. Thanks for your honest comment.
  • jovz10
    jovz10 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    well said! thank you! planning to just enter quick calories of 3500 for tomorrow and enjoy the day with my family.... Happy Thanksgiving to all MFPers!

11362602.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I think I understand why people are worried. Thanksgiving is only one day....but then there is Christmas, New Years, Easter, birthdays, graduations, and a million other "special occasions" that involve food and drink.

I don't think it hurts to enjoy yourself, and enjoy the food you like with your family, but people with food issues can sometimes go overboard and then end up on a downward spiral. Thanksgiving Day, becomes Thanksgiving week-end, then the whole week, and it can be hard to stop.

No need to stress, just be conscious of what you are eating, and when the day is done, get back on track :)

That being said, I'm Canadian, so it's not even Thanksgiving here. lol. Enjoy your turkey day!

I can totally see your point!!! Christmas is what I worry about more.....it seems to turn into a week long celebration with so much cookies and candy around!! And i just LOVE Christmas cookies!! It's not even gaining a few pounds that concerns me....I have good willpower and will go right back on track after the holiday....but I start to feel so icky from all the sugar and useless carb intake. LOL....but i do love me some christmas cookies!!
  • baypathgradLyns
    baypathgradLyns Posts: 639 Member
    Options

I definately agree with this. I am a little nervous, because I almost always lose control @ special occassions. Did I really need that piece of cake, piece of pie, 3 cookies, AND a brownie for dessert? not so much.

I lost 2 lbs this week so far, and I would hate to see that get added back on after I worked so hard...but at this point I am kind of going with the flow-I am going to try to enjoy myself without restricting it too much, but also trying not to eat myself sick...

I did see a few suggestions on here this week for those trying to not go wild with eating tomorrow...someone suggested making a BIG plate of salad and eating that first, along with a few HUGE glasses of water...that may make you feel fuller so you don't eat so much of all the other stuff...Someone else suggested working out an extra 15-20 minutes each day to lessen the impact...

I am going to try to get some sort of a workout done in the morning, but we shall see how that goes!

Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving!!!!!!!!! :D
  • smblakely
    Options
    Totally agree 100%! I am going to eat and enjoy being around family and friends!!! I am excited about eating good food and not a weight watcher meal...haha. Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!!
  • Jess5825
    Jess5825 Posts: 228
    Options
    I agree! I fully intend to enjoy my Thanksgiving, not worry about calories. Then I will jump back on the horse Friday.
  • jmgcummins
    jmgcummins Posts: 93 Member
    Options

I definately agree with this. I am a little nervous, because I almost always lose control @ special occassions. Did I really need that piece of cake, piece of pie, 3 cookies, AND a brownie for dessert? not so much.

Exactly. There is a line between enjoying yourself, and over indulging. When there are multiple desserts, I usually pick my absolute favourite and only have that. Or, if it's too hard to pick, cut very small pieces of each to sample. (Just a few bites each).
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    ... I'm focusing on my family and friends this year and what I'm Thankful for, like having my Husband home this year instead of spending Thanksgiving praying for his safety while he is off to war.

This is exactly what I'm thankful for this year too! Everything else is just icing on the cake...
  • M3CH4N1C
    M3CH4N1C Posts: 157
    Options
    I agree Bekah. But I'm going to count them anyways, as best I can, just to see the damage I do.
  • page68
    page68 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    FOR ME, getting back on the horse, even if it's the next day, is TOUGH!! So tough I'd rather keep riding and counting the cals. I know myself so well that the extra indulgence is an invitation to a very slippery slope.

I'm envious of those who are in more control. It's like cigarettes for me. If I smoked one again, just one, I'd be up to a pack in a week. I'm glad there are those who can do the "no worry thing." Dare I say it? Yep, I'm jealous :)
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Im enjoying myself tomorrow. And I figure my stomach has shrunk from me cutting calorie so it will take less Thanksgiving dinner to fill me up :-)
  • Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    lolcat_bless_this_post.jpg
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I am with you 100%. In Canada we celebrated thanksgiving a month ago and I never even had a second thought about it. Come on it is Turkey not bacon grease by the cupful anyway.
    Roasted turkey is a great lean meat, enjoy it. After thanksgiving take turkey sandwich to work, it is good for you!
    Eat tons of turkey with veggies, and bit of stuffing won't hurt you. Have bite size brownie or pie once and a glass of wine. Make it a cheat meal, it is not at the end of the world to have one every once a while.
  • michelec64
    michelec64 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Great post, agree 100%. On the other hand, I realize that some aren't to the point that they can trust themselves to take the day in moderation so I'm cutting them a bit of slack.

There's always going to be celebrations (in the past few weeks I've also been to a Halloween party and a wedding) but when you look at the big picture all those celebrations are maybe a dozen or so days out of 365. If you eat healthy and watch the calories those other 350 days then your body can handle the occasional feast or night out.

Tomorrow I'll go to the gym for their annual "Turkey Burner" workout and then I fully intend to enjoy dinner with ALL the trimmings. I'll leave the leftovers to the other guests to take home and Friday it's back to the regular routine.

Happy Thanksgiving all.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    lolcat_bless_this_post.jpg
    YES
  • rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    Agreed!
  • gdortiz
    gdortiz Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I dont' know... I totally see your sentiment and to some degree you have to be able to be flexible so you can cope with the up's and downs. However, like a few people said ...

Thanksgiving only comes once a year, but so does Halloween, so does your nephew's graduation party, so does XMAS, so does a co-workers retirement party, so does burgers and dogs for the fourth, so does that extra special birthday dinner, for you, yoru mom, your boyfirend/husband, your dad,etc.

I think if you got a long way to go in terms of weight loss it probably a bad ideal to just totally let go, on any occaision, until you reach a huge milestone or until you reach your ideal weight.

I think this notion of, "I'll get back on track" is self defeating.

I lost a big chunk of weight my first 3 months, and totally hit a wall, then lost some more, and now I'm back to stalling.

The reason I lost my weight the first three months? I was almost fanatical about my weight loss, the reason why I hit the wall? I kept sabotaging myself and saying, "I'll just get back on track next week."

Plus, I don't know about you all, but I can gain 4lbs easy over hte course of a couple day sof bad eating ... that same weight takes me over a week to take off.

I'll tell you this, your post has really motivated and will be in the back of my head as I got to my in-laws hosue!
  • rlysrh
    rlysrh Posts: 244
    Options
    I completely agree. I'm in the UK so we don't celebrate thanksgiving, but when it comes to christmas I'd just feel so crappy if I stopped myself eating all the amazing food because it only comes once a year. So I'll give myself christmas eve, christmas day and boxing day to eat whatever I want and then (hopefully) its straight back on track with the diet. There's no way in hell I could resist all the christmas food anyway.