Phentermine

Options
Recently my dietician prescribed Phentermine for me to take...
Has anyone ever used this or any opinions on this?

Replies

• missymoga
    missymoga Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I have tried it a few different times. It does help me lose weight and does a very good job at supressing my appetite, a little too much actually. A lot of people I have read about have had great success with it but I have too many side affects when I am on it. I get moody and emotional and have wierd thoughts. I currently have a perscription for it I think I am going to try to take half a pill a day instead of a whole one and see if that makes a difference. I really like how I dont even think about food when I am on it. Makes it much easier to lose weight. If you start taking them just monitor any side effects you may have ane be safe.
  • outtanms
    outtanms Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I have used it....may as well have been on speed. It sucks....You wont eat so if that is what you are looking for then go for it, but makes you feel like hell, couldnt sleep, only took it a few days and said to hell with it.
  • BeccaB1981
    BeccaB1981 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I have taken that a few times. The first time it worked great. I lost like 40 lbs in 2 months. Then it just stops working and eventually the weight came back on. It can make you really jittery or at least it did for me. I would recommend NOT taking it with any caffeine! I have tried it a couple more times over the years and it never did work again like that first time. It does work to supress the appetite though. I was on it before I joined MFP and it wasn't working so I never went back for my refill then I found this site and lost 21 lbs all on my own! Just be careful with it and most importantly keep in mind it will ONLY work for as long as you are on it (until you build up a tolerance) so you REALLY need to focus on making better choices and making lifestyle changes that you can contine once you stop taking it so you don't gain it all back. It is meant to aid in weight loss not do all the work for you. Good luck!!
  • trishtrish84
    trishtrish84 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I took it for the first time last night before I went to work about 9:30pm or so and by 1:30am I was sleepy... It was like during those 4 hours I was so hyper but as soon as we past the 4 hour mark it was like I hit a wall and I was tired.
    I don't know if this is an accumulative type drug... like it takes time to build up in your system before it has its full effect or what.
  • susanofscottsdale
    Options
    I have used it in the past, and it effectively did reduce my appetite. It did have a mild speed-like affect, but I liked this and found it helpful.

Using it alone is notorious for creating only temporary weight loss. I would suggest that you concurrently use this site, or some supportive and educational program, that includes logging your foods on a dailly basis to greatly increase your ability to have sustained results.

Good luck.
  • chefkev
    chefkev Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I love it. Had much success with it. I don't have the jittery side effects, but then I am addicted to caffeine anyway, so this doesn't affect me. It takes away the hunger enough so that I can say yes or no to eating.

I am on fastin now instead of Adipex P. Fastin is time released and lasts all day. You don't get the big boost of energy like on Adipex P. Adipex P made me easily angered in the morning, Fastin is smooth, all day control.

It is a Godsend for me. Can't lose without it. It really is great for me, but it is not for everyone.
  • du4072
    Options
    I tried it just this past month. I heard great things about itso I talked to my physician and she prescribed it to me. However, it did absolutely nothing for me, no suppressed appetite, no jitters, no weight loss, nothing. She said that I didn't need it because the drug is for people who need to stop eating, and since I eat properly it would not work the same for me. She started me on metformin to see if I have a slight hormone imbalance which can cause insulin resistance and make losing weight difficult, and gaining weight inevitable. The phentermmine is supposed to do wonders, but everyone reacts differently to it. If you eat right (not diet) and exercise more you may not need the drug at all. My suggestion is to make a goal to lose weight slowly. If you lose weight slowly, the weight will more than likely not come back.
  • kdwatkinspc
    Options
    I am on it now due to having gastric bypass 9 years ago and gained some of my weight back. I started it in August have lost 25 and it has been very slow. I have to make myself eat and could care less if I eat or not. I turned 51 this year and I think my metabolism is what alot of the problem. So no matter what you do you have to have your mine made up weight loss is what you want. Good luckl
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I have tried it 3 times. The first 2 days I have so much energy and am a ball of fire.....then nothing. :/
  • zbmb30
    zbmb30 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I am actually taking NoPHEDRA right now. It's an ephedra free fat burning pill. I took it a few years back after my first year of college and had a good experience using it. The weightloss clinic put me back on it again. I don't have bad side effects. I've tried other things and they either made me jittery, heart race, not eat at all, or get sick and not want to eat. This does none of that. I get enough calories in during the day and for the most part am not majorly hungry or have really bad cravings.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Took it a few years ago. Made me feel like I was high. Caused heart to race/palpitations. Don't take it.
  • SlimBananas
    SlimBananas Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I took it for about 3 weeks & (tmi) but te constipation was so bad & nothing helped. Very painful. It did have me hyper & suppressed my appetite for about the first week then it stopped having that effect dropped maybe 5lbs but it came back the week after I stopped I wouldn't waste my money.
  • cdbravo
    cdbravo Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I started taking Phentermine almost a month ago. I have a TON of weight (222lbs) to lose, and nothing else had worked. Since starting the Phen, I have lost 33 pounds.

The first day I felt a litte hyper, but not high or jittery. I also noticed that day that I had ZERO hunger, and had to remind myself to eat. Since then, I have adapted and it has been working really well for me. I take it around 7 in the morning, and am ready for bed at night by 10. I have more energy, but I think that is due more to the weight I have lost than to the drug itself. I do get hungy now, but not the ravenous, I need to eat everything in sight hunger that I would normally be having on a 1000-1200 calorie diet. The only real side effect I have noticed is that I am ALWAYS thirsty. I drink around a gallon to a gallon and a half of water everyday. It sends me to the bathroom often, but I also think the water is helping me feel full, and helping to aid in the weight loss. We all know water is good for you.

To me, Phentermine has been a godsend. This is the first time that I feel like a change is actually helping. I don't think it's for everyone. I see no reason for a person who has 20-50 pounds to lose to really need it, but for those of us who have a big hill to climb, I see it as a really good walking stick to help drag our *kitten* up the hill.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    The question is, are you eating because you are hungry, or because you like the food? And if something suppressed your appetite and gave you a dry pasty taste in your mouth, would you eat healthy foods or sugary snacks and juices? Cocaine and crystal meth suppress appetite very effectively and cause lots of weight loss, but people don't eat healthy foods.
  • cdbravo
    cdbravo Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    The question is, are you eating because you are hungry, or because you like the food? And if something suppressed your appetite and gave you a dry pasty taste in your mouth, would you eat healthy foods or sugary snacks and juices? Cocaine and crystal meth suppress appetite very effectively and cause lots of weight loss, but people don't eat healthy foods.

I'm confused....are you comparing an FDA approved, medically supervised weight loss drug to an illicit narcotic?
  • jmxxiiii
    jmxxiiii Posts: 231 Member
    Options

I'm confused....are you comparing an FDA approved, medically supervised weight loss drug to an illicit narcotic?

Looks like it :D
  • Elisirmon
    Elisirmon Posts: 273 Member
    Options

Do you know that most illicit drugs are made from the same products and same type of mixtures as FDA approved drugs. For every illicit drug there is a FDA approved counterpart. Do some research it really scarey. My brother died 3 years ago from a FDA approved drug that was a form of meth and it was prescribed by his doctor.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I have been addicted to prescription FDA approved amphetamines ( which is what phentermine is) and I've been addicted to cocaine and crystal meth. Other than knowing exactly what's in it, they have similar effects on the body. Meth is a methyl- amphetamine and phentermine is an amphetamine. Scientifically speaking, oxyxontin and heroin have almost the exact same effect on the body. Just because it's FDA approved doesn't mean it's safe for everyone. Prescription pill addiction ruined my and my family's life. I think it's a terrible idea... But I'm a little biased :). If it works for you and you don't abuse it or become dependent on it, than it may work well for you. Just be careful coming off because after I got the speed out of my body I gained a massive amount of weight very quickly, despite dieting.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options

Do you know that most illicit drugs are made from the same products and same type of mixtures as FDA approved drugs. For every illicit drug there is a FDA approved counterpart. Do some research it really scarey. My brother died 3 years ago from a FDAapproved drug that was a form of meth and it was prescribed by his doctor

Exactly. Cocaine used to be used to treat headaches, and PCP was an FDA approved anasthetic in the 60's. The fact that it's "approved" by an organization doesn't mean doctors aren't getting paid to push them by major pharmaceutical companies.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I haven't taken any pills.. In fact, I believe nothing generally good comes from pills. I always think you are better off with a clean diet and exercise.