calorie intake

Options
When i first joined yesterday after i inputed all my info, it said that i needed to intake 1280 calories and not exceed it, that amount of calories in a day seems like a small amount i dont think i can stick to that i have already used 350 calories just this morning.

Replies

• melli244
    melli244 Posts: 63
    Options
    When i first joined yesterday after i inputed all my info, it said that i needed to intake 1280 calories and not exceed it, that amount of calories in a day seems like a small amount i dont think i can stick to that i have already used 350 calories just this morning.
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    that seems low if you want to lose as much weight as your profile says... how tall are you? what do you weigh?

Is that AFTER the deficit MFP puts in?

Exercise so you can eat more... that's what I do, the more I exercise, the more I can eat, and then I don't have a problem staying within cals..
  • melli244
    Options
    Im 5ft 6 in and i weigh 208 right now but i would like to get down to 140lbs. I dont know what the deficit thing is. I want to lose 30 lbs befroe i go on vacation at the end of july im not sure if thats a real number to accomplish before then but im gonna try :smile:
  • melli244
    Options
    I just looked and it says daily calorie deficit or weekly calorie deficit 1000 calories what does that mean?
  • jersygirl09
    Options
    If you are exercising that is gonna be to low. But if all you are doing is dieting than this may be correct. Take into account your activity. Go to the tools tab and figure out what your BMR is, this will help, this is the amount of calories you burn just to stay alive, doesn't include any kind of activity.

I work out 5-6 days per week and burn anywhere from 500-900 calories per session. I started out eating 1600 calories per day and stuck to that, I didn't eat my exercise calories and once I got that under control I finally, after 2 years, started to lose the weight. I've now upped my calories to 18-1900 per day but I have much more muscle to burn the calories I take in. I might also suggest getting a heart rate monitor to wear while you exercise, this will help with telling you how many calories you burn when you exercise.

I suggest experimenting. See if you can stick to 1500 or 1600 calories and see if you start to lose weight there. If you don't then increase your activity. But stick with it, you can do this, and there is lot of support here on the boards. Good luck!
  • melli244
    Options
    Thanks for the advice :smile:
    I workout probably 4 to 5 days a week but i only do about 30 minutes on the eliptical or do a kickboxing workout that i have on tivo from fitness tv so i probably only burn 200-440 calories depending on what i do. I just cant seem to stay on the eliptical any longer i used to be able to stay on for 45 min and burn around 650 but i just cant seem to do it now.
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    Oh wow, you should read the links at the top of the General Diet and Weight Loss Help message board. Banks posts a lot and is full of great information.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition

I learned alot when reading, especially about the 1000 calorie starvation mode.

You've already lost 19 pounds, though, so give yourself kudos for your hard work!!
  • melli244
    Options
    Thanks ill check it out :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • Cariñosita
    Cariñosita Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    That is your amount of calories including exercise. So, if you exercise and burn 500 calories a day, then you would actually eat 1780 calories. 1780(calories eaten)-500(calories burned exercising)=1280. Hope that makes sense. Good luck!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    That is your amount of calories including exercise. So, if you exercise and burn 500 calories a day, then you would actually eat 1780 calories. 1780(calories eaten)-500(calories burned exercising)=1280. Hope that makes sense. Good luck!

exactly. 1280 are your base calories, you get to eat more when you exercise. I was exactly 1 lb larger than you are now when I started here, and we are the same height :wink: I also started out eating 1280 net calories a day. If it still seems too low to you, even with exercise cals included, you can try dropping your goals to 1-1.5 lb loss a week instead of 2lbs. It'll be a little slower but it may be a more comfortable transistion for you. good luck! :flowerforyou: