Hate the GYM

Options
Hey everyone. i'm new. started yesterday and i am already finding this site fantastic.

I signed up for a 12month gym membership and was really motivated for the first month then i changed jobs and the gym is 1 hour drive from my home. i was finding myself looking out the window and asking myself why i'm there when i could be at the beach running with my dog or taking the horses out for a ride. It started making me hate the gym.

I now having a normal shift job can get into a routine. and i have been taking my dogs for a big walk/run every day. I was just wondering if anyone has some other recomendations for excercises that show good results? Or a site that may help.

Thanks. Feel free to ad me also i really think this site is the motivation i have been longing for

Woops just realised wrong section. ):

Replies

• calderst
    calderst Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    If you still have the gym membership, I would recommend lifting weights. It will give you the most "visual" change as you are losing weights. Bodybuilding.com has a huge amount of information, as do many of the forums and conversations you can find on here. You can also find many how'to videos on youtube.

Good luck!
  • Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Like you, I hate the gym and would much rather be outside. Horse work and running with your dog are excellent exercise. If you're grooming, mucking, etc etc etc at the barn, that is (in my very far from professional opinion) quite a bit of strength training. I guess if you have to keep paying for the gym for the year, or if you've prepaid it and can't get money back, then it would make some sense to use the membership. But if it is a whole hour away from your home, how realistic is that? The two hours you spend driving there/back could be much better spent doing other things.
  • miliser
    miliser Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    thanks for the replys, personally i'd prefer to go guy my own weights. driving that hour each way then the guy was next to macdonalds. not that i would go there but man it was sure tempting. i canceled my gym membership. paid the money and i have noticed i have been excercising just as much.

I did notice fast results at the gym and have since lost those but thats purely diet related i think, thats why i'm here.

thanks
  • Eponine7
    Eponine7 Posts: 161
    Options
    I've lost 67 lbs. without setting one foot in an actual gym.

Walking/running with the dogs is awesome.

I am also a big fan of fitness DVDs. I had great results with Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred, RIpped in 30, and No More Trouble Zones.

I am currently doing a fitness DVD series called Turbo Fire and I cannot tell you enough how awesome it is. I got it on Ebay for $79....a lot less than a gym membership.

Good luck to you--you CAN do it--and do it WELL--without the gym!
  • Mclark0959
    Mclark0959 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    30 day shred!!!! I love it! Its only 20 minutes and it has made such a difference for me! Also, I got a gym membership and like you, I didn't want to go a lot. I always was feeling judged there, and watching other girls there was hard for me. But, I learned to equate exercise with relaxation. I listened to soothing music while I stretched out my muscles at the gym, would run on the treadmill for 20 minutes, then hit the massage chairs (included in my membership) for ten minutes after. Its gotten so that after a really stressful day I am actually DYING to get to the gym because I need to unwind. Its been the best mind trick for me, and I have come to love exercising! keep it going!
  • maikuljay
    Options
    I find it best to mix it up a bit..

I do weight lifting/Sport inside/outside and light cardio at the gym..

I'f you've already paid for it you may as well use it... change your perspective on it as it seem your looking for excuses "Not" to attend. - develop a social group there.. find reasons to want to go. Nothing says you cant exercise outside and at a gym
  • lakersfan4life
    lakersfan4life Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    if my gym was an hour drive away, i wouldnt go either.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I vote horses. Riding burns calories and is much more fun than the gym! And if you want strength training, there's always hay, feed and water to haul. I seem to remember that mucking stalls works up quite a sweat, too.

Sigh. I miss horses.
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    First, if the gym is too far away from your home, or you just don't like it, maybe you can get a partial refund.

Second, have you tried a gym that offers group fitness classes? They can be very fun and motivating!
  • maikuljay
    Options
    I vote horses. Riding burns calories and is much more fun than the gym! And if you want strength training, there's always hay, feed and water to haul. I seem to remember that mucking stalls works up quite a sweat, too.

Sigh. I miss horses.

If the OP is a dude, then naa.. the general strength training will not be enough to see sustainable motivating improvements..

I say suck it up princess.. hit the gym 1- 2 times a week at a minimum fuel in the U.S is cheap as. . HIIT 3 times at home. Play the hand you've been dealt there is always going to be a reason "NOT" to do it.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options

Sigh. I miss horses.

If the OP is a dude, then naa.. the general strength training will not be enough to see sustainable motivating improvements..

I say suck it up princess.. hit the gym 1- 2 times a week at a minimum fuel in the U.S is cheap as. . HIIT 3 times at home. Play the hand you've been dealt there is always going to be a reason "NOT" to do it.

I'm sad for dudes, then. :wink:

Still, an hour drive, seems a shame not to be efficient and use that hour to work out instead, like maybe home gym equipment or a weight set or something to emulate the gym without the long drive!
  • HeatherR930
    HeatherR930 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Can you cancel your gym membership there & get something closer to home now? My gym is flexible & when I signed up, they told me if something happened & I moved, they would allow me to cancel my contract. I would look into that if possible. That is REALLY out of the way & does seem like a waste of time! I see a lot of value in going to the gym, but mine is 5-6 minutes away so I can get up & go whenever I want without wasting time getting there!
  • spiritwolf13
    spiritwolf13 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hello I found myself running into the same problem I enjoy work out dvds alot and there are so many out there to choose from I currently do Insanity and turbofire if you enjoy kick boxing Turbo fire is a blast. T hey also have 1 called turbo jam you have to order these on line but they are worth it . You can also get Biggets loser workout dvds right at target or walmart and they run about $10.00 a piece
    I own a spin bike if there was a piece of equipment you like at the gym maybe you can invest in that. far as strength maybe a kettle bell or weights. Good luck and I hope this helps
    If this is any inspiration I lost 2 1/2 inches off my waist 4inches off my hips I lost about 11lbs but i gained muscle and a better attitude and strength all in 60 days

I joined MFP about a week ago because eating is my issue not working out
  • GuruOnAMountain
    GuruOnAMountain Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I agree, a two-hour round trip to get to the gym isn't really feasible long-term so I'm glad you cancel it. I second the person who suggested that you try group fitness classes. I joined my local gym and went on the machines and found it really dull and unmotivating but then I tried some of the Les Mills BTS classes and love them!

Body Attack is a great workout and I try to do it 3 times a week now. When I first started going I lost a stone within a couple of months although that has went back on now due to being too busy to actually get to any of the classes for a while but I'm back in at them now.

Doing it as part of a group really motivates you to keep going when you might otherwise give up because of tiredness.