Exercise Calories... Again!

Options
I am quite confused on this topic. So I have been losing 2 pounds a week steadily for the last month, and I am feeling good. If I am hungry, I eat. My goal is 1310 calories - a 1.5 loss per week. I always eat all of my 1310, sometimes going over anywhere from 30-150 cal over. However, I have become a workout junkie! When I am bored or stressed, I go to the gym. Its my fun 'me time'. Oh what Jillian Michaels has done to me!!! Anyways, I am usually burning about 600 cal a day, sometimes up to 1000. I feel good and I really dont want to eat back those calories- I mean I worked hard for those! But again, if I am hungry I will eat a clean snack even if it means eating more than my goal of 1310. But I am netting anywhere from 180-800 depending on the day. Is this bad? I really DONT want to put my body into starvation mode and risk lowering my metabolism. I'm 5'3 and 153 pounds. Any advice?!?!

Replies

• Sucy1
    Sucy1 Posts: 52
    Options
    bump
  • soccerchey1
    Options
    You should be netting 1200 calories but if you're burning 600+ calories maybe you could just start eating some of your calories back at first and then slowly increase that amount. Good luck!
  • Suzanne106
    Suzanne106 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I think you are worrying needlessly about nothing. Life is too short to worry over this. Eat, Drink and Be Merry. Happy Thanksgiving!
  • smarterthanyoda
    Options
    The calories burned is an estimate. It might be way off for any one individual. The easiest way to tell if what you're doing is right for you is by looking at the results, i.e. your weight loss.

If you find that you're losing too quickly, then you're not eating back enough of your exercise calories and should eat more. If you keep doing the same thing and stop losing you can try changing things up in different ways, including possibly eating a little bit more.

(BTW, is it really necessary to bump a thread five minutes after it was posted?)
  • mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I saw if its working and you are losing weight consistently then keep doing what you're doing. When it stops working, you hit a plateau or start gaining, then worry about it. If its not broken, don't fix it.
  • Mclark0959
    Mclark0959 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your comments!
  • lucycaz
    lucycaz Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Hi

You will get alot of responce to this question some friendly and some a little shouty.... :smile:

My advice and I speak from my experience over the last 7 months and 83lbs lost is I don't know and neither in reality does anyone else...

I am a qualified nurse and as with so many other things everyone is different...

So listen to your body I aim for 1200 cals a day total not net sometimes I go 50-100 over occasionally if we are going out or i am away from home for work I go more over but only 1-2 times monthly... I work our 5-6 days a week averaging 500 - 1000 per day and I have continued to lose an average of 3lbs a week

So just listen to your body feel how it feels if you are hungry or feel you lack energy then eat if not than what you are doing sounds like it is working for YOU....

Lucy

:smile:
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to risk lowering your metabolism or putting your body into starvation mode than don't do it.

I personally think netting 180 calories a day for any length of time is unhealthy, Once in a blue moon is ok. But not as a lifestyle change method.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    What exactly are you confused about? You think there's some chance that netting 180-800 calories is healthy and normal? Really?
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I saw if its working and you are losing weight consistently then keep doing what you're doing. When it stops working, you hit a plateau or start gaining, then worry about it. If its not broken, don't fix it.

So your advice is to wait until it breaks and then fix it?
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Put it this way... what would you think of someone only eating 180 calories a day? Would you think it's healthy? Would you think that person is more likely to be burning fat or muscle?

At the end of the day NET calories consumed is what matters. Food that you ate and worked off that day doesn't count. NET is what's left over to run vital bodily functions like your brain. Is 180 calories enough to fuel your brain alone? What about the rest of your organs?
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    (BTW, is it really necessary to bump a thread five minutes after it was posted?)
    Some people 'bump' on this site to get it in their 'My Topics' section to review later. I know it's confusing since most other forums it's used to put the thread up at the top of recent posts, which it also does on this site.

As far as advice to the OP: Eat.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    If your body hasn't started eating your brain already, please consider what MrsCon has to say.

I am 5'3", 199lbs, 30 years old, and I *NET* 1300 calories a day. And I lose weight every week.
  • Sucy1
    Sucy1 Posts: 52
    Options
    Some people 'bump' on this site to get it in their 'My Topics' section to review later. I know it's confusing since most other forums it's used to put the thread up at the top of recent posts, which it also does on this site.

As far as advice to the OP: Eat.

Ty
  • amacneill
    amacneill Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    ive read a lot about "eating your calories back" and stuff and I have a question as well.
    I net about 950 calories a day after exercise, but Ive reached/surpassed all of the important nutrients on my list (vitamins, protein, sugar) not always on point for carbs or fats though...
    Im very rarely hungry unless its after 6 when I try not to eat to much as my vice has always been late night binging.