Why your opinion isn’t always necessary

Options
Mechel79
Mechel79 Posts: 99 Member
My understanding is this community is dedicated to offering a friendly environment… Often when I open a post that has a specific question or tip there are tons of negatives. I totally understand if it’s just a generalized topic (have at it) but really is it necessary to put a damper on things- makes me not want to add to any post and too me that is defeating the entire purpose of this site.
Just seriously, be aware of the mood. If everyone else is all “Hell Yeah THIS!” and then you go, “No no! I’m for THAT!” out of nowhere, it just feels a little odd, you know?

You don’t have to “weigh in” on everything.
Unless you can edify…
Unless you can educate…
Unless you can encourage…

OK done venting---

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    This post sucks

:smile:
  • anikab
    anikab Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I like this post. I don't want to start anything so that's all I'm going to say. But I agree.
  • Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    This post sucks

:smile:

lol....

its the internet, thats what people do! not saying its right...just..saying. you have a valid point!
  • Mechel79
    Options
    Glad you were able to find some humor in my ranting :happy:
  • Classalete
    Classalete Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    u mad? ;]
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    IMO my opinion is ALWAYS necessary... lol
  • 3GKnight
    3GKnight Posts: 203
    Options
    Rule #3 of the internet: A lot of people think anonymity gives them the right to be jerks.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    My understanding is this community is dedicated to offering a friendly environment… Often when I open a post that has a specific question or tip there are tons of negatives. I totally understand if it’s just a generalized topic (have at it) but really is it necessary to put a damper on things- makes me not want to add to any post and too me that is defeating the entire purpose of this site.
    Just seriously, be aware of the mood. If everyone else is all “Hell Yeah THIS!” and then you go, “No no! I’m for THAT!” out of nowhere, it just feels a little odd, you know?

Unless you can edify…
    Unless you can educate…

OK done venting---

yep...can't spend too much time on the boards....
  • leslielt
    leslielt Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I think people want others opinions or they wouldn't ask the question.
  • jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    just weighing in
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options

Unless you can edify…
    Unless you can educate…

OK done venting---

You do realize this is just your opinion
  • Mechel79
    Options

If ppl are asking for an opinion that is different. I taking about post that say " i am taking this medication anybody also taking it please add me" or" I am starting this program " ect..... the unwanted or unwarranted comments aren't necessary
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    just weighing in

you shouldn't weigh in every day. thats bad for you. and don't lift. you'll build crazy muscle.
  • Mechel79
    Options

Unless you can edify…
    Unless you can educate…

OK done venting---

You do realize this is just your opinion

Ummmm your right but it's not on someone else's post, dampering their excitement
  • sweetyJ
    Options
    :smile: I weigh in on the forum sometimes (generally when I am bored and trying to procrastinate). I get what you mean about people's responses. I think in general, people on MFP are supportive, but of course, there ARE a lot of douche out there, but there are always douches :laugh: Just ignore them. :flowerforyou:
  • Booboo78
    Booboo78 Posts: 169
    Options

If ppl are asking for an opinion that is different. I taking about post that say " i am taking this medication anybody also taking it please add me" or" I am starting this program " ect..... the unwanted or unwarranted comments aren't necessary

It depends though. If the OP is seriously thinking on embarking on a course of medication or programme that could be potentially unpleasant, destructive and simply dangerous to your health, I think people should certainly point it out, even if the OP gets offended.

I'd rather feel offended than end up in hospital or worse....
  • leslielt
    leslielt Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    @UponThisRock your pic and name are hilarious
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    My understanding is everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.
  • jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    well thank you for your wonderful advice
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Sometimes we tire of all the threads complaining about pretty much nothing.

Start threads to edify… educate....encourage.