exercise forgiveness??

Options
do you guys eat the extra calories you burn after working out?? I am not clear on whether this good or not..

Replies

• MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Are you asking forgiveness for eating exercise calories?
  • cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Are you asking forgiveness for eating exercise calories?

Swing and a miss.

I only eat back a portion of my exercise calories, either a quarter or half. Never more than that. But you should find your own balance.
  • ksmith2187
    Options
    I never have but I am also not sure if this is a good thing to do or not. Also I kinda don't see the point, why work out only to eat it back?
  • amiabbott
    amiabbott Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    yes! like I burned 206 on the elliptical.. should I consider that *bonus* calories or continue with my regular allotment for the day? I'm just confused about the whole thing
  • dia77
    dia77 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    yes , you supposed to eat them. Honestly , I don't eat them all the time.
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    it's different for everyone, I don't, but I would experiment with it if I were you, find your best balance.
  • katielynn46
    katielynn46 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    To a point yes you should be eating some of the calories that you burn working out. If you eat atleast 1200 calories a day plus exercise you want to leave about 500 calories a day that you burned working out and in a week you should lose about a pound. You still must eat your minium that it has calculated for you to eat a day before you add in exercise.
  • amiabbott
    Options
    because i love to eat.. its my motivation for working out
  • plentyoo7
    Options
    MFP already calculates the deficit of calories when you plug in your numbers. I and others will say eat them back, others will say they don't, but you should at least eat some of them back. Listen to your body and make sure you're not dipping below at the very least 1200.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    Here is how it works, in a simplified manner:

You tell MFP: I want to lose 1lb per week.

MFP says: Okay, you need to eat X calories per day in order to lose 1lb/week, without exercise.

You do what MFP says, but then you decide to exercise and you burn an additional 400 calories. MFP then says "Hey, I told you to eat X per day to lose 1lb/week without exercise. You exercised, now you're going to lose it too fast and that's not ideal. Now I want you to eat X+400".
  • amiabbott
    Options
  • amiabbott
    Options
    Here is how it works, in a simplified manner:

You tell MFP: I want to lose 1lb per week.

MFP says: Okay, you need to eat X calories per day in order to lose 1lb/week, without exercise.

You do what MFP says, but then you decide to exercise and you burn an additional 400 calories. MFP then says "Hey, I told you to eat X per day to lose 1lb/week without exercise. You exercised, now you're going to lose it too fast and that's not ideal. Now I want you to eat X+400".

Thank you! the almost arithmetic proposal is easy to understand
  • jennor8or
    jennor8or Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    i eat every single last one of mine happily :D
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

Isn't it though? Hundreds of posts about it, yet new ones show up every day. Go figure.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I never have but I am also not sure if this is a good thing to do or not. Also I kinda don't see the point, why work out only to eat it back?
    You don't see any point to exercise other than weight loss?
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    So what's the difference between eating your exercise calories and not exercising at all with the net calorie intake being equal?

If you exercise and eat your exercise calories then sure you will burned 0 calories net BUT exercise increases your metabolism. If you exercise regularly your general metabolism will be higher which means your BMR is high which means you burn more calories all day.
  • dalgirly
    dalgirly Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    From what I take of it, is that those extra calories are eatable.

For example:

I've set a plan in place to lose a pound a week. It says I should eat 1600 calories to do so (without exercise).

So if I exercise, and still eat my 1600 calories I should lose more. But if I exercise and eat those, I should still stay within my pound a week plan.

I've currently been typically under my calories with exercise, and it predicts I'm going to lose about 2 lbs a week rather than 1. So I don't worry when I have nights like tonight and I make home made chicken fingers and sweet potato fries!