Strength Training for runners, advice needed.

Options
Ok, hoping to catch a real PT or someone who has had the same questions.
I've added strength training to my weekly workout of running.
I run MWF 3 miles x 3 times a week. I do weights Tue/Thur. I take Sat/Sun as rest days.

I hit all the muscles groups at a weight where when I do 3 sets of 10, I can barely finish the last few reps.
When I am ready to move up, do I add more weight, do more sets or do more reps?

My goal is to improve endurance from a 5K to 10K (half marathon eventually) but to also bring my 5K down to a respectable number. (Currently at 37minutes).

Replies

• sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    pretty much in the same boat as you. I do the same routine and my 5K is at 42 mins.

I am not a PT or anything certified, trained or any special thing... but I would guess it is more weight. same sets. same reps (as best you can if you can't reach 10)

Very interested to see more 'professional' responses!
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Bumping to read later.
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I am bumping this too. I am trying to increase my distance from 5k to 10k, and increase my pace slightly. I am currently at a 33-34 minute 5k.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I am bumping this too. I am trying to increase my distance from 5k to 10k, and increase my pace slightly. I am currently at a 33-34 minute 5k.
    Just 2 weeks in to strength training and I've dropped 4 minutes off my 5K. Best I've found was on halhigdon.com and it was 2 sets of 12 at 6-% max weight. Then increase the weight. I think I'll stick with 3x10 for now and maybe switch to 2x12 to mix it up later.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I used the Hal Higdon 10K training schedule for both my 7K and 10K training and hit solid Personal Bests on both.

For my strength, I go by the rule that if I can consistently do more than eight reps, I need to add more weight. So if I hit 10-12 each set for two or more strength sessions (showing it wasn't a random blip like an extra good night or poor form) then I add weight to that workout and then go until I can go past eight again. I've currently got three lifts I'll be adding weight to my next session.

If you want the strength routine I use, let me know and I'll send it to you. I took a few of the exercises from Hal Higdon's site but basically just made my own upper and lower body "circuit" that I do in full on Mon and Thu nights. I've found that my endurance, pace and overall strength has been steadily improving since following my current schedule. :)
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Buuuump!
  • jabaa91
    jabaa91 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I used the Hal Higdon 10K training schedule for both my 7K and 10K training and hit solid Personal Bests on both.

For my strength, I go by the rule that if I can consistently do more than eight reps, I need to add more weight. So if I hit 10-12 each set for two or more strength sessions (showing it wasn't a random blip like an extra good night or poor form) then I add weight to that workout and then go until I can go past eight again. I've currently got three lifts I'll be adding weight to my next session.

If you want the strength routine I use, let me know and I'll send it to you. I took a few of the exercises from Hal Higdon's site but basically just made my own upper and lower body "circuit" that I do in full on Mon and Thu nights. I've found that my endurance, pace and overall strength has been steadily improving since following my current schedule. :)

this sounds good, can i also steal? :)
  • jplucheck
    jplucheck Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I hit all the muscles groups at a weight where when I do 3 sets of 10, I can barely finish the last few reps.
    When I am ready to move up, do I add more weight, do more sets or do more reps?

I am not PT but have learned a lot about strength training; if you are looking to lean and tone muscles it is best to use a weight that you can do a range of 12-16 reps with the last few being strenuous. If you are looking for bulkier muscles you should use a weight where you can only do a range of 8-10 reps with the last few being strenuous. Once the last few reps of either become easier and you can do more than the max recommended, it is time to increase weight.