Will power of a pea....

Options
Helloo everyone, i'm new to all of this but excited to get started! I have no willpower at all, so this may be slightly tricky, resisting crisps, butter and pointless eating for the sake are looking at the moment impossible, but the freshers stone needs shifting! Anyone have any tips for resisting the studying/boredom snacking? And also i have shin splints (not a great start) so any advice on that front either, thankss guys, Emily :)

Replies

• sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Start small, Emily. Maybe eliminate butter first? Then move on to the next thing. As for exercising, start small there as well. Do what you *can* do, not what you think you should be able to do. Good luck!
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    1. Try to keep all those high sugar, high bad fatty, high sodium foods and drinks out of your house or tucked away out of sight (if other family members buy them.)
    2. Drink 2 liters of water per day.
    3. Go on line and find new veggie recipes to eat (raw, or baked, or sauteed in a small amount of olive oil).
    4. Try to go for low-fat and non-processed meats (chicken--no skin, fish, turkey, low fat meats).
    5. Make sure you have lots of fiber in your diet (oatmeal, rye, whole grain carbs, sweet potatoes, carrots, etc.--which will work well with all the water you are drinking to keep you regular).
    Note: Measure your waist, bustline, and hips now. Later, if you stop losing for a few days, check your measurements and you may find that you are losing size, even if the scale isn't moving. Measure about once a month, at the very least.

You will have good days and some bad ones--we all do. BUT, the trick is to get back on the weight loss habit each morning when you get up. Yesterday is gone--today is a new day.

Hugs, BJB :drinker: (lots of water)
  • emleeo
    emleeo Posts: 10
    Options
    Thanks very much guys! Great advice, and yep, i have my water on me at all times now!
  • MaddameKat
    MaddameKat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Something i learned today..

Do not avoid doing something just because you do not enjoy doing it.
    If we all enjoyed eating well and exercising there would be no MFP and you would not be here.
    So even if you think.. i'll mis my workout just for today or i will eat that cake because my willpower failed.

Just don't

the food will be nice for a while but we have all learned you pay for it in the end. So just tell your self no i don't want it.
    the workout that you put off today will get put off again another day and then you will not be doing your self any good.

as i find now.. most (not all) of the stuff i enjoy doing is the reason i am fat.
  • nadine2unfit2bqueen
    Options
    This is going to sound like very harsh advise... but better to hear from a stranger than from a friend.

Make no excuses. Period.

We're all constantly making excuses for ourselves and justifying sneaking treats and skipping workouts for this reason or another. Your friends do it, you're family does it, you watch strangers do it... so you do it. And when you get on that scale and the numbers arn't budging you tell friends "I'm trying everything and it's just not working."

What I've read recently is the people with the most success when it comes to weightloss are those who don't tell anybody what they're doing, they just do it. In fact this applies to any goal that you've set; they've done studies to show that the most successful way to reach a goal is to tell no one until after you've reached it. The very act of telling someone that you have a goal gives you the same feelings of satisfaction as though you've already reached it, so you unconciously stop trying.

When no one knows your goal there is no one to lie to about how hard you're trying to reach it, or make excuses to about why you can't workout that day or why you deserve a piece of cheesecake; you will be that much more accountable for your own actions, because you're only lieing to yourself.

I know this sounds bordline rude but it was the best advise I was ever given and I think more people need to hear it. The worst thing you can possibly do is assume it's easier for other people and that it's not fair it's so hard for you. It's hard for most of the population, the difference between them and you is what they do! They're working harder than you are. They want it more. They arn't making excuses. They've trained their willpower to resist temptation by saying no over and over again. They've done the research and know what's good for them, and what's not. They've poured their heart out through countless workouts, they've accepted the reality that pain is inevitable at some point and they've pushed through it, they've said no to seconds and dessert while everyone else was digging in...
  • metisgirl
    metisgirl Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and Fibromyalgia which are very painful and on some days make it seem like its almost impossible but----through perseverence, positive attitude, and going one day at a time will and can most certainly help....You can do it....
  • onewhodiets
    onewhodiets Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My only way to avoid boredom snacking on junk foods is to not have them in the house. I have managed to lose weight only by recognizing what I am powerless against and avoiding having those things around to tempt me. Also, avoid going to the grocery store with an empty stomach, so you can resist buying those bad foods. As to your shin splints problem, my experience was that you have to avoid running till they are healed, but walking should be ok. Get checked for flat feet, as you may need orthotics.
  • JenniferH007
    Options
    hi my name is jennifer
    firset thing is to throw all the snack away so there is no temptation and only buy the good stuff it time to get to buiness as far as the work out try water arobic see if that help you may email if you would like the other thing is build lean musle so that the weight stays off good luck

jen
  • Cherchristine
    Options
    Helloo everyone, i'm new to all of this but excited to get started! I have no willpower at all, so this may be slightly tricky, resisting crisps, butter and pointless eating for the sake are looking at the moment impossible, but the freshers stone needs shifting! Anyone have any tips for resisting the studying/boredom snacking? And also i have shin splints (not a great start) so any advice on that front either, thankss guys, Emily :)
  • Cherchristine
    Options
    Hi I'm Cherie, I hope keeping track of my food and exercise will help me stay motivated. I'm ready to get started. I have to keep
    telling myself that "Nothing tastes as good as getting slim feels". Hope it works.
  • trishlambert
    trishlambert Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Be gentle but firm with yourself. I suggest that you commit to logging in every single thing you eat on MFP every day. Get in the habit, and avoid the temptation to consider MFP the enemy--it's only a tool!!! I find that seeing the numbers has really helped in all kinds of ways...and I've got 245 straight logging days under my (smaller) belt!

As you log and learn about your eating patterns, I'm thinking you'll find the motvation and stick-to-it-iveness you've been lacking. Plus the community here can be a big help!