Low carb / Paleo with heavy lifting

Options
Any body lifting heavy while on this type of diet? How long did it take to adjust? I am on day 2 and I cant believe how fast my workout ended because i was exhausted (first day was fine).

Replies

• AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    bump

I'm anxious to hear how people exercise hard on low carbs.
  • gojessgo17
    Options
    I think it depends on the body...I tend to do better and perform better on low carb + I do cross fit 3 times a week. Im not paleo like most of the cross fitters at my gym but i do eat my veggies and I don't mean leafy greens
  • heaths4285
    Options
    I wouldnt suggest a diet of lowered carbohydrate whilst undertaking strenous aerobic exercise as the muscle needs sugar to metabolise energy. Weights need to be light and cardio should not be any higher than 65%MHR
  • Cara2Me
    Options
    bump

I'm anxious to hear how people exercise hard on low carbs.

I agree would love to hear how you make out
  • CavewomanCoby
    CavewomanCoby Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    If you're exercising at high intensities, Paleo for Athletes is a good plan to follow. It makes some allowances for more carbs to help fuel you while you work out.

For example, on training days I allow myself things like sweet potatoes etc - non training days are much more strict.

I used to train on the normal level of carbs (my macronutrients for carbs are at 25%) and I did find that the fatigue eventually goes away as your body gets used to the new regime.
  • samuel249
    Options
    Try eating small amount of carbs or fibre couple of hours before your weight lighting session. It really help and release slow energy
  • samb
    samb Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I eat low carb (<35 net carbs usually) and I lift as heavy as I can -- I use my max weight to get to 5 reps but not able to get a 6th one in. I seem to do awesome with that combination, more so than having more carbs. However, strenuous cardio is harder with no or low carbs in my opinion. It does help me to eat some protein and a little bit of carbs beforehand if I plan to do both cardio & strength, but if I am just doing light cardio and mostly strength I don't usually eat before the workout - I see the most effects from this.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I'm doing carb cycling where most of my days are Low carb days. It's not bad. Every time I lose a pound (not often) the macros slightly change. I find I can do my workouts no problem. When I skimp in the higher (not necessarily high) carb days, those are the days I feel the energy drain. I find myself craving carbs I'd not normally crave (just because I'm so suddenly restricted).

Anyway, If anybody wants to add me to see my first attempt at carb cycling (for viewing the low carb days), feel free to add me. I did do more research and there several different ways you can cycle. It's all calculated by your weight. From there, your macros are calculated. The calculators I used were on the LiveFit trainer on bodybuilding.com.

I weigh 118 and am 32 yrs old. On low carb days I'm eating as much as 200gms of protein, 37grams of fat and only 69 carbs... I never hit it exactly but pretty close. I do feel myself burning fat. My body is changing. My mind is whirling with all the possibilities if I actually get this down pat!
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Any body lifting heavy while on this type of diet? How long did it take to adjust? I am on day 2 and I cant believe how fast my workout ended because i was exhausted (first day was fine).

Oh, I got carried away! I'm doing the low carb/ high carb cycling with low weights and doing high reps as much as 20-30 reps for each circuit for 3 rounds. the workouts end fast for me because it's low weight and recovery time between circuits is 5min. Goes fast but you feel those muscles working.
    In my plan, this is intended for the cutting phase and muscle endurance. I have a little more than a week left to see if I get some major results. I need the fat calipers and measuring tape! I'm ready!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    If you're exercising at high intensities, Paleo for Athletes is a good plan to follow. It makes some allowances for more carbs to help fuel you while you work out.

For example, on training days I allow myself things like sweet potatoes etc - non training days are much more strict.

I used to train on the normal level of carbs (my macronutrients for carbs are at 25%) and I did find that the fatigue eventually goes away as your body gets used to the new regime.

I do this too. When I switched over to paleo, (before following the Paleo/Athlete's) there was fatigue in the first few days. It does definitely goes away. I did not follow the Paleo/Athlete's during the final weeks of marathon training, I went the more traditional white carb/grain route and I am full of regret about it. I felt horrible all the time, bloated, achy, awful. I will not make that mistake again!
  • Mikaylarae27
    Mikaylarae27 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    bump!