45 Cals for 5min Vigorous Sit-ups???

Options
Can this be right??? Aren't sit-up harder than Crunches?? I wanted to see How Many Cals I would Burn if I did Crunches 2 Min straight but they weren't even listed so I looked up Sit-up. I have to do 5min of Vigorous Sit-Ups just to burn 45 Calories??? Can anyone confirm this?? I'm gonna try to find my HRM while I'm waiting for replies. Will someone reply PLEASE??

Replies

• gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I can tell you that for the Army PT Test, 2 minutes of vigorous situps ( I mean you go as hard / fast as you can) burns so few calories I don't even bother logging it. I've tried both with a HRM and a bodymedia
  • courtgosvener
    courtgosvener Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    gp79, that's crazy! My hubby is army too, never tracked his situps but I have seen him practice and he is hauling *kitten*, can't believe that doesn't burn that many calories! Maybe because the exertion is not up through your legs?
  • mcjabber
    mcjabber Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Sit ups and crunches don't burn much for me. Strength work just doesn't burn a high number, sorry. It makes up for that by increasing your burn all day long (the more muscle you have, the more you burn at rest). I can do all of P90X Ab Ripper X (about 16 min of pretty vigorous ab work, and my HRM says less than 100, usually. Cardio is where the burn is, but that doesn't mean strength isn't important!
  • k121777
    k121777 Posts: 306
    Options
    Whoooo Waaaaaa!
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I believe it. That's a little less than 10 cals a minute---similar to other high intensity exercise which burns about 600 cals per hour (10 cals per minute) for me. Aim for 30 minutes or more of sustained activity for a good burn.
  • angieskia
    angieskia Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I can't believe it. This info IS Accurate. For someone out of shape like me it's not worth it yet
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    You are likely burning calories to some degree but your HRM is not going to be able to register it because in 2 minutes, your HR is not going to get elevated enough from doing situps. At least that's my take on it. On the flip side, by doing situps, your abs are getting stronger and as you probably already know, the more lean muscle you have the higher your BMR will be. That's going to take a while.
  • Wolokat
    Wolokat Posts: 1
    Options
    If you would like to burn fast calories, go to the park and walk/ run. Alternate. And keep your diet switched up, for instance: the two day fast ( not starve yourself, but instead consume about 500-700 calories two days of the week. Like on tuesdays and thursdays.) it keeps your metabolism sped up cuz it never knows what to expect. You will shed Lbs. I promise.