30 Day Shred! Weights? 5lb or 3lb?

Options
I'm doing the Julian Micheal's 30 day shred and was wondering if I should use 3lb or 5lb weights? I wanna loose weight fast because I am overweight so would 5lbs work better or would it just build muscle over the fat? Also should I walk for 30 mintues daily along with it or would this be enough?

If I were only to do this daily, would it work? I really don't have a ton of time.

Thanks for your time. :) Any advice would help!

~ Anyone who is or has done the 30 shred please add me! (If you want I mean.)
~ Has anyone had any sucsess with the 30 day shred?
~ I love new friends, so anyone can add me if they want to join my journey, hopefully we can all support each other.~

Replies

• nighthawke
    nighthawke Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Start out with 1 or 3 lb weights if you're coming from no activity. Push through the first week of discomfort, (there will be lots of that, don't let it discourage you)

Don't start with the 5lb weights. Just doing the movements is enough to make peoples life hurt, heh.
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    5 lbs. more sweat is more of a calorie burn.
  • wish21
    wish21 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I've completed the shred. I am currently doing the 30 day challenge. I used 5 pounds. It's a really awesome feeling when at first you could barely lift them, but after the shred you can actually see how you've improved. the choice is yours though.:smile:
  • 21karensmith
    21karensmith Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go higher than 3lbs if your just starting out, you'll defffinitly feel it!!! I did LoL. I wasn't able to finish it b/c I injured my knee, but good luck and take your time working up to the full extent of each exercise....don't rush, it really doesn't have to be done in 30days hehe :)
  • wish21
    wish21 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    If I were only to do this daily, would it work? I really don't have a ton of time
    ~ Has anyone had any sucsess with the 30 day shred?

I did only the shred, no walking, jus the shred for 30 min. I did it for two months. I recomend taking measurements they will truely help you out,\

Feel free to add
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of people who have had success with 30DS, I have started it but always seem to stop for some strange reason.

When I did do it, I also made sure I did 30min of cardio as well. I suggest you start with 3lbs and see how you feel after a workout or two if you feel like your able to do normal activities without feeling sore at all from your workout then up it to the 5lbs.

Hope that helps and enjoy your journey. There is a lot of support on MFP it is amazing!!
  • Queenbee412
    Options
    I have been using the 3 lb and they kick my butt!
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    Start off with light weights, you dont want to wear yourself out, as uts a mega tough workout anyway! Good luck x
  • sundinsgurl
    sundinsgurl Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I have done the shred a couple times, pretty much all of it was done with 3 lbs. As someone else mentioned it does KICK YOUR BUTT!!!! I used 5 lbs for shoulders or back exercises only
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I started out using 3 lb weights. I'm not all that fit to start with (other than spending lots of time on the treadmill lately) and day 1 of the shred put me in pain for 3 days. (the pushups killedme and my knees and thighs were screaming when I climbed stairs or had to sit down) Didn't hurt at the time, but the next morning I was hurting. When I started back, days 2-4 I stuck with the 3 lb weights. (and did the shred twice on day 4) On day 5 I picked up my 5 lb weights for a couple of the moves that I had previously been doing a little too easily with the 3 lb weights. Couldn't do the 5 lb weights for everything, just a couple of moves (squat and press and the dumbbell rows - and only for one set of each of those, then back to the 3 lb weights for the second set). I also did the shred twice on day 5 and the second time I did I I wasn't able to do the 5 lb weights as much as I did the first time through. Listen to your body and do what you are able to do without injuring yourself. I'd say start out with the 3 lb weights a couple of times and then decide if you need to move up on some or all of the moves.

Good luck, it's amazing how fast you start to see improvements.
  • swimforever
    Options
    It depends on your current level of fitness. I swam competitively and played badminton before I started one of Jillian's workouts so I used 5 lbs for the hard exercises and 10lbs for the easier ones. If you are not used to strength training I would definitely recommend 3lbs, especially for the harder exercises.
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    It depends on your current level of fitness. I swam competitively and played badminton before I started one of Jillian's workouts so I used 5 lbs for the hard exercises and 10lbs for the easier ones. If you are not used to strength training I would definitely recommend 3lbs, especially for the harder exercises.

I completely agree with this. I use 5lbs for some of the moves, but mainly 8lb and 10lb weights when I'm doing 30DS. But I'm pretty fit and have been working out with weights for quite a while.
  • hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    this is great. And when you get stronger don't be afraid to use more weight. It's under the fat, not over. And muscle will burn calories like no other!
  • Becxox
    Becxox Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I would say use 5lb for for everything but drop back to 3lb for the shoulder lift lunge.
    Ive been using 3lb and its a little too easy.
  • ingies2011
    ingies2011 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I used 2 and 3 kg (about 4 and 6 pound) weights depending on what the moves were, and as I got stronger used the heavier ones more. Don't start out using too heavy weights, better to try with lower weights and work your way up. I would definately recommend having both sets so you can choose between them.
  • Giraffe33991
    Giraffe33991 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Use whatever you can handle while mainiting proper form. You don't want to get an injury. You can always work your way up as you gain strength!
  • dawn33
    dawn33 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the shred for 4 days now and I used a 3lb weight and after the first day I could barely lift up my 7 month old daughter who weights about 17lbs so you don't want to over do it!!!

It for sure kicked my butt the first couple days but it was easier today so thats a good sign!!

You can do it just stick with it!
  • tanyar23
    tanyar23 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I used soup cans! And I was winded. I moved up to 2 pounds and now I am at 3 pounds. Listen to your body!
  • klynnwalker4
    Options
    I say have both on hand so you can switch to the 3 lb weights for exercises that might require a lighter weight. Like.. I use 10 lbs for bicep exercises but use 4 lbs for triceps because my triceps are weak.

And you should totally walk and do the workout. Won't do any harm. Just good :) And make sure you're eating the right amount of calories, not too much, no too little.

Hope it works for you!