Dizzy! Help!

Options
Hey yall!

So I have made SO much progress over the last year or so. I have lost 55 pounds! (OMG! I can barely believe it!) and am officially now just overweight, and not obese anymore.

I need some advice though, so please help me out. For the last several days I have been dealing with dizziness and feeling almost faint. It started Friday night after I went to a club with some friends. I did have a little to drink, but just a couple shots, I wasn't even tipsy really. I was dizzy most of the following day, especially that night when I went to dinner with friends and we were walking around afterwards.

I was dizzy through most of church on Sunday, and had to leave a seminar that afternoon early to lie down. I felt better Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, so Wednesday I went running (I hadn't been exercising due to the dizziness). Okay, it was a HARDCORE run! I mean, the most hardcore I have ever had. I did 5.5k in 50 minutes, including 35 minutes of running.

Right after the run I did my usual recovery chocolate milk and then I prepared some food for a Thanksgiving dinner and my friends came over. I started feeling super super exhausted and basically crashed after they left. I went to work this morning, but felt super dizzy and left early. Now I am lying on my bed and I just feel completely dizzy, STILL! SO frustrating!

In all honesty, I have been so busy lately that there is a high possibility that I haven't been eating enough. And I have been losing weight at a pretty consistent rate recently as well.

If you could give me some ideas, I would be super grateful. Sorry if this isn't very coherent. I am so dizzy right now it is hard for me to think. I know I should go to the doctor...but I live in Beijing, China and the closest Western hospital is an hour cab ride away and is super expensive. I am too tired and dizzy to bother going to a Chinese hospital right now - the lines! The weird smells! The strange medical advice! Talking in Chinese about medical terminology!!

Feel free to ask me more questions about what I've been doing.

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Well, yes, you should go to a doctor, but it doesn't sound as though that is too easy.
    It could be due to a virus or ear infection, and only rest and time will get rid of that. It could be blood pressure or low sugar.... or it could be something more serious but without a medical check you aren't going to know that.
    Take it easy, don't do any major exercise, rest, drink plenty of (non alc) fluids, eat enough.
    If it's not better soon, you REALLY need to get it checked out.
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    take it easy for a few days!!!!! no more exercise til you're sure you're a-okay.

If it doesn't improve in a few days of healthy eating (maybe no deficit, even) I would suck it up and go to the hospital :( Or at least see if there's an on-call nurse phone line or something.
  • jackiebo
    jackiebo Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Well, yes, you should go to a doctor, but it doesn't sound as though that is too easy.
    It could be due to a virus or ear infection, and only rest and time will get rid of that. It could be blood pressure or low sugar.... or it could be something more serious but without a medical check you aren't going to know that.
    Take it easy, don't do any major exercise, rest, drink plenty of (non alc) fluids, eat enough.
    If it's not better soon, you REALLY need to get it checked out.

Good, good advice.
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Happens to me too. It's probably an iron deficiency thing, or a blood sugar thing. You need to see a doctor & get tested for Hypo-Glycemia & Anoemia. Not a big deal. It's just, when you lose weight quickly, it's really noticeable. I went through it too.
  • Arabian♥Breeze
    Options
    Try over the counter motion sickness meds. it helps. But ask your Doctor first
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    It could be diet related, dehydration or a seasonal bug you're fighting off. Eat some, drink lots and see a doctor if you still feel that way on Friday.
  • aliciar3
    Options
    I've suffered from the same thing, for me it was due to low iron.

Take a look at your diet and see if you're getting enough iron. You really should go to the doctor and get a blood test though.

Also, make sure you're eating enough and drinking enough water - especially if you are doing hardcore exercise :)
  • Anyanut
    Anyanut Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    This happened to me before when i lost a lot of weight. I had low blood pressure and low iron. take an iron supplement of some kind, if that doesn't help after a week I would probably see the dr. since it could be something more serious or an infection of some kind.
  • ChasingHaven
    ChasingHaven Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I take medication for dizziness when I need it. I have inner ear problems that can come and go. Mine is prescription, but a decongestant might help as well if it's inner ear - help decrease some of the fluid build up.

If it's ever accompanied by numbness don't wait at all to see a doctor. Those can be stroke symptoms.