Fiber-Rich food ideas?

Options
My bad cholesterol is really good, but I can't seem to get my good cholesterol up where it needs to be. My doctor told me to increase my excercise to 30 min/day at least 3 times per week. Funny thing is I already excercise about an hour a day, 5 or 6 days a week. He also told me to increase my fiber intake.

So, my question is, besides taking a fiber supplement, what foods do you guys know of and like that are high in fiber? I just added the "fiber" section on my food and I'm surprised that I'm hardly eating any at all. Thanks for your help!

Replies

• lacieinthesky
    lacieinthesky Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My bad cholesterol is really good, but I can't seem to get my good cholesterol up where it needs to be. My doctor told me to increase my excercise to 30 min/day at least 3 times per week. Funny thing is I already excercise about an hour a day, 5 or 6 days a week. He also told me to increase my fiber intake.

So, my question is, besides taking a fiber supplement, what foods do you guys know of and like that are high in fiber? I just added the "fiber" section on my food and I'm surprised that I'm hardly eating any at all. Thanks for your help!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Fiber One products are yummy and high in Fiber.

Be warned, fiber makes you toot! Add a lot of water and increase intake gradually to reduce it, but be prepared!
  • Philde04
    Philde04 Posts: 160
    Options
    I just started eating Quaker Fiber plus Omega-3 granola bars and they are yummy.. I get the dark chocolate chunk flavor and they are very good. They have a few different flavors. They are 35% of daily fiber intake for a 2000 cal diet. So, I think that's pretty good. And yes, Lucky is right I have definitely noticed the side effects of fiber this week.
  • vixi76
    vixi76 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You can get fiber in many ways. Fruits and vegetables, whole wheat and whole grain breads (you must read the labels, they can be really tricky), beans, and nuts. Also there is the Fiber One line of cereal, pancake mix, bars, and yogurt. And the Fiber Plus bars. Also, I found Kellogg"s Protein mix which has 5 grams of fiber in each one.
  • jbrascia
    jbrascia Posts: 16
    Options
    Hi there
    All your legumes are very high in fiber....check out Mayo-clinic's list of high fiber foods..just google
    mayo-clinic high fiber foods list..
    raspberries are very high in fiber
    your Kashi cereals are high in fiber...plus fiber bars....
    artichokes are very high in fiber..
    be sure you drink plenty of water when taking fiber-supplement capsules
    as not to get constipated:noway:
    Take care and good luck
  • happyhubbard
    Options
    Kellog's All-Bran pink lemonade has 10 grams of fiber and just 20 calories in one packet that you add to water.....verrrryyy yummy!