has anyone stopped logging cals?

Options
Hey :]

life atm is very stressful what with christmas coming up and working every day of the week. i also have depression and anxiety and have been in a rather bad place lately.
thinking that i may stop logging cals just for a week or two and focus on ME! and just eating healthy and exercise.
plus i already know how many cals are in most foods now anyways.

thoughts?

Replies

• Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    I stopped logging for almost 2 months this summer.

Take time for you, if you need it!
  • MoonShadow_1au
    MoonShadow_1au Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Every now and then I loos track of the cals I eat in a day. I try to log what I can but in a very relaxed way, just not too fussed if I miss any. This should help me through the silly season !! if did help while I was on holidays recently.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I stopped logging for almost 2 months this summer.

Take time for you, if you need it!

Were you still losing weight?
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options

Were you still losing weight?

Losing? No. I maintained for the most part. At the most my weight went up 3lbs. Once I got back on track, I lost them rather quickly.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I think it's a good idea to give yourself a break during times when logging can cause more stress than you need, especially if you're already at a point where you can figure things out well without it. I don't think it's really that healthy to log things forever and focus on calories anyway, and not logging it makes me choose to be active in ways I enjoy rather than whatever burns more calories faster.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I'm not logging right now. I think I might be losing a bit but I don't have a scale here. I'm returning home in a week and I'll start logging again and also weigh in and hopefully there won't be a gain!
  • Orrgarde86
    Orrgarde86 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I've not logged kcals for a long time because I know roughly what I need to eat to stay under. I've been losing without logging but I would advise trying it and if you don't lose then start logging again.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I stopped logging when I was on holiday and, although my weight stayed the same (I'm on maintenance) found it hard to get back into the habit when I got back.

Can I suggest rather than stopping logging, up your allowed calories and try and eat them through stuff which you know is good for you: if you don't eat right it will effect your mood.

Plus which, MFP is a great place to vent about what is going on around you - and if you are logging you are more likely to come here for support from your friends.

*Hugs*
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I stopped logging for 3-4 weeks and found that I maintained, but didn't lose - but then now I'm back tracking cals I'm also just maintaining. I think the difference is the exercise, because I stopped exercising when I stopped tracking (both for the same reason - manic life period!) and haven't started the exercise again.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I stopped logging for 3-4 weeks and found that I maintained, but didn't lose - but then now I'm back tracking cals I'm also just maintaining. I think the difference is the exercise, because I stopped exercising when I stopped tracking (both for the same reason - manic life period!) and haven't started the exercise again.

I love exercise?
  • MiNiMoNkI
    MiNiMoNkI Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I used to religiously, but since going in to maintenance i havent logged. I find i konw what calories im putting into my body and trying to be a little less strict, whereas seeign the numbers definately contributed to my success i now feel that i have learnt enough not to rely on that tool. I always read "new" food nutritional info and know whether i should eat it or not. You pick a lot up as you travel the road of weightloss and that will never leave you
  • woo1324
    woo1324 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on if your okay with gaining a little bit ,, not saying not logging will deff make you gain but its kind of a trial run and if things go a bit wrong you need to know that mentally you wiill be okay with it , more than likley though youll be fine and either will keep losing or maintain ,,, i havent been logging properly for the last two weeks and i havent gained or lost yet but i have found it makes fighting temptation harder when i know i dont have to go and face it by typing it in and seeing the cals
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    research has shown that people that log their food lose 40% more weight then those that don't. If you have a goal to reach I would keep tracking until you reach that goal. You will most certainly gain if you stop tracking. Logging your food keeps you accountable.
    You can do it. I know you can.
  • lp0007
    lp0007 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I take breaks from logging on here but I keep to my calories each day and it has worked out fine for me :)
  • jimmacdonald
    jimmacdonald Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I sometimes change my goal during vacations. Change to no lbs gained or lossed.

That I still log but have extra calories.

Cheers
    Jim